The off topic thread 4.0

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great news, cant wait.

Let me know after you’ve seen it buddy, I’m still amazed a movie like this exists. Amazed in the respect that Warner Bros allowed it to be this dark, this disturbing. It’s genuinely soul destroying at times, it’s ******* savage. And violent. And oh so ******* glorious.

My favourite actor. My favourite villain. I still have that sense of disbelief that it even happened. It’s not easy to watch at times, and I’ll be putting myself through it again tomorrow morning. But it’s absolutely worth it.

No offence to the marvelheads but I wish Hollywood would start making proper films again. I recently flogged my DVD collection at a boot sale; Taxi Driver, Deer Hunter, Long Good Friday, Clockwork Orange, Shindlers List. Made me realise how far the film industry has fallen

Taxi Driver, great call. You should absolutely check out Joker, it has serious Taxi Driver vibes. Scorsese was involved in its development, De Niro is amongst the cast, there are Taxi Driver homages throughout.

Taxi Driver, great call. You should absolutely check out Joker, it has serious Taxi Driver vibes. Scorsese was involved in its development, De Niro is amongst the cast, there are Taxi Driver homages throughout.
Ok, the Joker films are the top end of all that comic book stuff. Probably one I would watch when it comes on the small screen

No offence to the marvelheads but I wish Hollywood would start making proper films again. I recently flogged my DVD collection at a boot sale; Taxi Driver, Deer Hunter, Long Good Friday, Clockwork Orange, Shindlers List. Made me realise how far the film industry has fallen
Why do you always have to dredge up this argument?

You always go on about how others are picking for a reaction but then here you go, trying to get a reaction with another tired argument.

Here's how it goes:
Others: You know there are movies that aren't comic movies right?
You: They're not the same as they used to be and aren't the same quality
Others: Have you seen any?
You: No because they're not the same as they were and aren't the same quality
Others: How can you comment on the quality if you haven't seen them?
You: Because they're not what they was and they're bad
Others: You're just arguing for no reason now
You: You tried to pick the fight not me!

It's so boring man, get a new hobby.

Why do you always have to dredge up this argument?

You always go on about how others are picking for a reaction but then here you go, trying to get a reaction with another tired argument.

Here's how it goes:
Others: You know there are movies that aren't comic movies right?
You: They're not the same as they used to be and aren't the same quality
Others: Have you seen any?
You: No because they're not the same as they were and aren't the same quality
Others: How can you comment on the quality if you haven't seen them?
You: Because they're not what they was and they're bad
Others: You're just arguing for no reason now
You: You tried to pick the fight not me!

It's so boring man, get a new hobby.
Oh diddums soneone doesn’t like my point of view...

I was bringing up a legitimate talking point. Just because you don’t agree with it don’t throw your toys out of the pram you big sook

Oh diddums soneone doesn’t like my point of view...

I was bringing up a legitimate talking point. Just because you don’t agree with it don’t throw your toys out of the pram you big sook
Yes it is a legitimate talking point, maybe the first or second time it's discussed.

But this dance has been danced a thousand times before. I know it goes nowhere, you know it goes nowhere, so why bring it up?

You clearly just want a shitfight to start.

Yes it is a legitimate talking point, maybe the first or second time it's discussed.

But this dance has been danced a thousand times before. I know it goes nowhere, you know it goes nowhere, so why bring it up?

You clearly just want a s**tfight to start.
Must have been at least a year since anything was mentioned about the state of the film industry. Maybe you want to exist in some constant echo chamber but others may not. Also people might have come to the conclusion that comic book films have reached saturation point. You know, not everyone’s opinion stays constant throughout time.

Think before you have a kick off

Must have been at least a year since anything was mentioned about the state of the film industry. Maybe you want to exist in some constant echo chamber but others may not. Also people might have come to the conclusion that comic book films have reached saturation point. You know? Not everyone’s opinion stays constant throughout time.

Think before you have a kick off
Fair enough.

How many recent movies have you seen in the last year?

Also people might have come to the conclusion that comic book films have reached saturation point.
Bingo.

Tossing up whether to see Joker or not. Wary about too much of the same same but it does look different.
No idea if I'll go see it.

What movies from the last, let's say 4, years have you seen?
Ok some of the new Star Wars films, Dunkirk, Darkest Hour, Arrival, Jungle Book, Planet of the Apes (a couple of those and they’re not bad), Trainspotting 2 (pretty awful), a couple of the new Jurassic Park films which weren’t up to much.

That’s off the top of my head really and none of those films I would bother watching again save maybe the Planet of the Apes one. I’ve caught a lot of the comic book films on TV and I turn off after about 20 minutes. Can’t get into them at all and can’t even see the appeal whatsoever

Ok some of the new Star Wars films, Dunkirk, Darkest Hour, Arrival, Jungle Book, Planet of the Apes (a couple of those and they’re not bad), Trainspotting 2 (pretty awful), a couple of the new Jurassic Park films which weren’t up to much.

That’s off the top of my head really and none of those films I would bother watching again save maybe the Planet of the Apes one. I’ve caught a lot of the comic book films on TV and I turn off after about 20 minutes. Can’t get into them at all and can’t even see the appeal whatsoever
I wouldn't say you are particularly the target audience for superhero films though. You don't strike me as the comic book/nerd/geek type.

So Dunkirk, Darkest Hour and Arrival are the only I guess "original" films in that list.
Dunkirk is my favourite movie, but I think a large part of that came from the experience seeing it in a cinema with proper cinema sound. The most tense movie I've seen.

Darkest Hour I thought was okay without being great.

Arrival I loved. Great twist on a typical alien invasion sort of movie.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wouldn't say you are particularly the target audience for superhero films though. You don't strike me as the comic book/nerd/geek type.

So Dunkirk, Darkest Hour and Arrival are the only I guess "original" films in that list.
Dunkirk is my favourite movie, but I think a large part of that came from the experience seeing it in a cinema with proper cinema sound. The most tense movie I've seen.

Darkest Hour I thought was okay without being great.

Arrival I loved. Great twist on a typical alien invasion sort of movie.
So what films would you say were some of the great one of the last five years - ones that you think I might enjoy?

I like deep films that make you think. Don’t mind action films but find the more mindless action films a bit of a bore.

Was disappointed with both Dunkirk and Darkest Hour to be honest. Think they got too much hype so I went in with high expectations and they weren’t met. Saw them both on the big screen as well

My favourite films of all time, in no order (already mentioned a few of them)

Taxi Driver - almost has an avant-garde feel. There’s so much going on under the surface, and it’s shot beautifully

Platoon - for me the best out and out representation of the Vietnam war. The contrast between the two groups of soldiers that develop under the two commanders is what elevated the film. Brilliant score as well

Deer Hunter - probably shades platoon as there’s more depth to it and it’s not just about the war itself. Just everything about this film is top notch

Quadrophenia -this is a British film and it’s probably the best representation of growing up with your mates as you transmit from teenager to adult. It’s about mods and rockers but there’s so much relatable content done in a gritty, urban, realistic way. Of course the music is amazing

Downfall - who doesn’t love this film? One of the best war films I’ve ever seen. Acting is incredible and brings to life one of the most significant periods in human history

Clockwork Orange - Kubrick at his best. Some of the best cinematography I’ve seen. Another deep film, lots going on underneath

The Shining - this is brilliant as well. Don’t think much more needs to be said about this film

Star Wars (A New Hope) - gotta have it in there, changed cinema forever and was a cultural juggernaut

The Elephant Man - one of only two films to make me cry (Kramer vs Kramer the other). Honestly anyone should see this film. David Lynch is a genius

Zulu - film is s British institution. The battle scenes give you goosebumps.

I’m sure there’s many I’ve forgot but off the top of my head that’s ten films I rate highly and will always stop me in my tracks if they’re in the box

Arrival was a fantastic movie.

My favourite films of all time, in no order (already mentioned a few of them)

Taxi Driver - almost has an avant-garde feel. There’s so much going on under the surface, and it’s shot beautifully

Platoon - for me the best out and out representation of the Vietnam war. The contrast between the two groups of soldiers that develop under the two commanders is what elevated the film. Brilliant score as well

Deer Hunter - probably shades platoon as there’s more depth to it and it’s not just about the war itself. Just everything about this film is top notch

Quadrophenia -this is a British film and it’s probably the best representation of growing up with your mates as you transmit from teenager to adult. It’s about mods and rockers but there’s so much relatable content done in a gritty, urban, realistic way. Of course the music is amazing

Downfall - who doesn’t love this film? One of the best war films I’ve ever seen. Acting is incredible and brings to life one of the most significant periods in human history

Clockwork Orange - Kubrick at his best. Some of the best cinematography I’ve seen. Another deep film, lots going on underneath

The Shining - this is brilliant as well. Don’t think much more needs to be said about this film

Star Wars (A New Hope) - gotta have it in there, changed cinema forever and was a cultural juggernaut

The Elephant Man - one of only two films to make me cry (Kramer vs Kramer the other). Honestly anyone should see this film. David Lynch is a genius

Zulu - film is s British institution. The battle scenes give you goosebumps.

I’m sure there’s many I’ve forgot but off the top of my head that’s ten films I rate highly and will always stop me in my tracks if they’re in the box
I’ll get back to you on similar things from recent years. Seems you like your war films though. I’ve only seen four of those but many are on my to watch list.

Dunkirk was made for IMAX, it was ridiculously good to see it in that format. On the smaller screen, not so much. Tried to rewatch it last year however it just wasn't the same, I didn't get through it.

Dunkirk was made for IMAX, it was ridiculously good to see it in that format. On the smaller screen, not so much. Tried to rewatch it last year however it just wasn't the same, I didn't get through it.
Yeah I watched it at a mates place and fell asleep twice during it.

Yeah I watched it at a mates place and fell asleep twice during it.
Unless your mate has incredible surround sound, nowhere except a cinema can do it justice.

The moment at the end where you hear the German plane. Amazing.

Seeing the flaming lips tonight at Hammer Hall, apparently they put on a great live show so super keen. Loved them for over 20 years and im finally getting to see them live. Tick them off the bucket list.

Japanese for dinner too(at Kisume). Im getting spoiled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back