Status
Not open for further replies.
May 14, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Juventus, Arsenal, OKC, Avalanche
Guaranteed most of the people who complain about "diversity handouts" in these awards haven't actually seen the films.
But for some reason their reaction to it is "WOKE AGENDA" rather than "oh damn Parasite won four Oscars, that's pretty unheard of for a foreign film, maybe I should check it out"
Parasite was an unbelievable film. Very deserving of the win.

glenferry23

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal, New York Yankees
I love Boseman but just because he died doesnt mean he should win it.

I’m not sure anyone has suggested that.

It was so inappropriate/disrespectful of the producers to reorder the awards predicated on a Boseman victory, to keep people watching until the end. In the search for ratings. Pretty awful stuff not just to him and his family, but also to Hopkins.

It was so inappropriate/disrespectful of the producers to reorder the awards predicated on a Boseman victory, to keep people watching until the end. In the search for ratings. Pretty awful stuff not just to him and his family, but also to Hopkins.

I'm actually not even sure if that's what happened. I think they genuinely thought he was going to win. Which begs the question, why are the results kept so secret when it can have an impact such as that?

I love Boseman but just because he died doesnt mean he should win it.

Black Panther 2 is gonna suck without him.

Just saw this. This is a garbage take. He was fantastic in that film and there hasn't been a single suggestion that if he had won it (deservingly) it would have been 'merely' because he died.

glenferry23

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
I'm actually not even sure if that's what happened. I think they genuinely thought he was going to win. Which begs the question, why are the results kept so secret when it can have an impact such as that?

Yes I thought so as well initially, perhaps it was just an unfortunate coincidence. Some of the quotes from their producer yesterday does make it sound like it was an intentional decision.

Just saw this. This is a garbage take. He was fantastic in that film and there hasn't been a single suggestion that if he had won it (deservingly) it would have been 'merely' because he died.

Quite an awful take indeed. Very disrespectful. He was sensational in Ma Rainey and I also thought that maybe he'd be up for the supporting actor award as well from Da 5 Bloods. However that was quite a heavily contested field and I'm not familiar enough with the other films/nominees to be in a position to judge overall. The man was larger than life really, everything I continue to hear and read about him since his passing just elevates his legacy further.

Yes I thought so as well initially, perhaps it was just an unfortunate coincidence. Some of the quotes from their producer yesterday does make it sound like it was an intentional decision.

Quite an awful take indeed. Very disrespectful. He was sensational in Ma Rainey and I also thought that maybe he'd be up for the supporting actor award as well from Da 5 Bloods. However that was quite a heavily contested field and I'm not familiar enough with the other films/nominees to be in a position to judge overall. The man was larger than life really, everything I continue to hear and read about him since his passing just elevates his legacy further.

Was pretty shocked at how much Da 5 Bloods was snubbed in general, thought that was a fantastic film.

Thistle

Norm Smith Medallist
May 12, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chelsea, ICT, Glory
Was pretty shocked at how much Da 5 Bloods was snubbed in general, thought that was a fantastic film.
Da 5 Bloods is honestly a terrible movie. It started promising with an interesting concept but then the plot, twists, acting and violence all just got completely ridiculous.

Last edited:
I think I read that the people who made Judas and the Black Messiah were so sure that Boseman would win Best Actor, they nominated Daniel Kaluuya for Supporting instead.

I need to watch all these movies.

Apr 2, 2000
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Chicago Bulls.

Yeah I didnt watch the Oscars only heard later that bizarrely the Best Actor Oscar was the last award to be given out instead of Best Film which is always the case.

Im glad the rating were the worst ever for the Oscars if they are gonna pull s**t like that.

Apr 2, 2000
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Chicago Bulls.
Not sure what you're arguing. I agree. I havent seen the film which Boseman was nominated for but heard good things. He's a great actor and had he won I'm sure it would have been well deserved.

I just believe the outpouring from the public is that because of his tragic death he should have won which shouldnt be the case.

The Oscars are tough though, it's all subjective. It's not like sport. Two people run, one blokes wins the race. You have a clear winner.

The Oscars like the Grammys are all subjective.

DiCaprio only just won an Oscar despite being widely known as one of the best actors in the world for two decades. U2 have won 15 more Grammys than The Beatles???

It's just subjective. People shouldnt get too wrapped up in it all.

Not sure what you're arguing. I agree. I havent seen the film which Boseman was nominated for but heard good things. He's a great actor and had he won I'm sure it would have been well deserved.

I just believe the outpouring from the public is that because of his tragic death he should have won which shouldnt be the case.

The Oscars are tough though, it's all subjective. It's not like sport. Two people run, one blokes wins the race. You have a clear winner.

The Oscars like the Grammys are all subjective.

DiCaprio only just won an Oscar despite being widely known as one of the best actors in the world for two decades. U2 have won 15 more Grammys than The Beatles???

It's just subjective. People shouldnt get too wrapped up in it all.

I'm arguing that this is a garbage take. Still struggling?

I'm arguing that this is a garbage take. Still struggling?
While I don't agree that all of the people saying Boseman should have won are doing that, I think it's probably true that there are a lot of people who haven't seen The Father or possibly even Ma Rainey's Black Bottom saying that Boseman was robbed and should have won. Purely because it's Boseman.

While I don't agree that all of the people saying Boseman should have won are doing that, I think it's probably true that there are a lot of people who haven't seen The Father or possibly even Ma Rainey's Black Bottom saying that Boseman was robbed and should have won. Purely because it's Boseman.

There's likely some people who think he should have won just cos, but making out that that's the key reason cheapens his performance and is pretty disrespectful IMO.

There's likely some people who think he should have won just cos, but making out that that's the key reason cheapens his performance and is pretty disrespectful IMO.
Ah I think I'm interpreting what jod's saying differently.

glenferry23

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Ah I think I'm interpreting what jod's saying differently.

The common theme I’ve interpreted from the last few Jod posts are one of uncertainty, that he doesn’t really know. Hasn’t seen the film itself/just read about it/didn’t see the oscars/don’t know who the voiceover was of the YouTube video etc etc.

I would dare suggest that, particularly in today’s world where we are bombarded with information from many directions, that one should be more discerning and informative about the information they choose to consume prior to passing comment on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back