The off topic thread 4.0

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
glenferry23

I finally got around to watching Joker. I thought it was really good, a pretty different take on the Joker to what we've seen before. I really liked Phoenix's portrayal of him but for me Ledger's Joker is the best.

What were your thoughts on it?

Really enjoyed it. I never get into the comparisons, I’ll leave that for the internet. I prefer to enjoy the iteration of the character that’s being depicted, they’re almost incomparable because of the difference of this.

Phoenix is a magnificent actor. His performance alone was worth a watch, along with the score (both of which fittingly received an academy award). After many years of trying, it was a highlight for me to finally meet (via zoom of course) Phoenix earlier this year.

There’s always a few things here and there that I would change. It maybe leaned too much into Taxi Driver etc, which was no secret though that a lot of inspiration was drawn from that film. It’s dark as * and wouldn’t have worked if not R rated.

There were some glorious homages in the closing 20 minutes or so to The Dark Knight Returns/Endocrine talk show scene (and particularly the “you wouldn’t get it” dialogue as he chuckles to himself). One of my favourite novels. I giggled with glee in the cinema.

Really enjoyed it. I never get into the comparisons, I’ll leave that for the internet. I prefer to enjoy the iteration of the character that’s being depicted, they’re almost incomparable because of the difference of this.

Phoenix is a magnificent actor. His performance alone was worth a watch, along with the score (both of which fittingly received an academy award). After many years of trying, it was a highlight for me to finally meet (via zoom of course) Phoenix earlier this year.

There’s always a few things here and there that I would change. It maybe leaned too much into Taxi Driver etc, which was no secret though that a lot of inspiration was drawn from that film. It’s dark as fu** and wouldn’t have worked if not R rated.

There were some glorious homages in the closing 20 minutes or so to The Dark Knight Returns/Endocrine talk show scene (and particularly the “you wouldn’t get it” dialogue as he chuckles to himself). One of my favourite novels. I giggled with glee in the cinema.
There was a lot Taxi Driver in it for sure. How did you meet Joaquin Phoenix?!

I thought it was really but never felt like a superhero movie. Some of the moments were terrifically dark though like when he busts that dudes head open who he used to work for and then lets his other co-worker leave cos he was always nice to him. Props to that actor too I thought that scene was great and his reaction to watching what just happened felt quite real. Like audible groaning in disbelief, like he didnt know how to voice his thoughts and what was going on, thought that scene was terrific.

Then when he kills De Niro, that was sudden and jarring.

Really dark film.

Last edited:
There was a lot Taxi Driver in it for sure. How did you meet Joaquin Phoenix?!

I thought it was really but never felt like a superhero movie. Some of the moments were terrifically dark though like when he busts that dudes head open who he used to work for and then lets his other co-worker leave cos he was always nice to him. Props to that actor too I thought that scene was great and his reaction to watching what just happened felt quite real. Like audible groaning in disbelief, like he didnt know how to voice his thoughts and what was going on, thought that scene was terrific.

Then when he kills De Niro, that was sudden and jarring. Really dark film.

Some very heavy spoilers in there mate! I suggest perhaps using tags as I’m not sure everyone who reads this thread would be familiar with the movie.

I agree fully though, those scenes were intense. Brutal and sadistic stuff.

As for Joaquin, long story. He’s been vegan for 43+ years, a great inspiration of mine. Very active within the animal rights community and quite reclusive otherwise, doesn’t do social media and his rare public appearances are quite often involved with animal rights.

Long story short it turns out we have some small shareholding in similar ventures within the US, and our group is trying to collaborate with him further over the coming years. We’re a long way off. Especially with COVID and the cumbersome red tape process in the US with foreign investment for philanthropic purposes. However one day we hope to get there.

Some very heavy spoilers in there mate! I suggest perhaps using tags as I’m not sure everyone who reads this thread would be familiar with the movie.

I agree fully though, those scenes were intense. Brutal and sadistic stuff.

As for Joaquin, long story. He’s been vegan for 43+ years, a great inspiration of mine. Very active within the animal rights community and quite reclusive otherwise, doesn’t do social media and his rare public appearances are quite often involved with animal rights.

Long story short it turns out we have some small shareholding in similar ventures within the US, and our group is trying to collaborate with him further over the coming years. We’re a long way off. Especially with COVID and the cumbersome red tape process in the US with foreign investment for philanthropic purposes. However one day we hope to get there.

Fair call, fixed my post.

Ah that's awesome and through your company you ended up on a zoom call with him. That's cool. He does seem like a top bloke, a real shame what happened to his brother too, with all the trappings that come with fame as well, he's done well to end up normal.

At what point to spoilers stop being spoilers and become "if you haven't seen it by now tough sh*t"?

Surely once a movie is on a streaming service.

That said, ruining endings of movies is still something I'd avoid just in the off-chance someone hasn't seen it. I only watched The Usual Suspects for the first time a few months back and was able to enjoy the ending because I hadn't had it spoiled.

At what point to spoilers stop being spoilers and become "if you haven't seen it by now tough sh*t"?
after its 53rd re-run on channel 7 as the Friday Night movie.

Titanic is getting close now.

after its 53rd re-run on channel 7 as the Friday Night movie.

Titanic is getting close now.
Can't wait to finally be able to discuss what happens.

That said, ruining endings of movies is still something I'd avoid just in the off-chance someone hasn't seen it. I only watched The Usual Suspects for the first time a few months back and was able to enjoy the ending because I hadn't had it spoiled.
You know me. Im pretty big on spoilers. But if you haven't seen the show/movie within the year its come out you can't be too interested in it.

You know me. Im pretty big on spoilers. But if you haven't seen the show/movie within the year its come out you can't be too interested in it.

Or just haven't come across it before. It's almost like anything that's come out in the last 5 years is fair game once it's out of cinemas, then it should go back into vague/spoiler-avoidance for anything that came out before then as you need to give people the benefit of the chance for not having heard of the movie. Or something like that, I dunno.

Amazing film! What did you make of it?

I'm watching The Umbrella Academy and Drive to Survive at the moment. Drive to Survive is awesome. I haven't followed F1 since I was a kid but the series is excellent and gives a different insight to what you get from just watching the races. Would highly recommend. Even the missus is enjoying it and she has never watched F1. Lots of Riccardo in the first 2 seasons too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm watching The Umbrella Academy and Drive to Survive at the moment. Drive to Survive is awesome. I haven't followed F1 since I was a kid but the series is excellent and gives a different insight to what you get from just watching the races. Would highly recommend. Even the missus is enjoying it and she has never watched F1. Lots of Riccardo in the first 2 seasons too.
Recently smashed through DTS too. Has got me back in to F1 after being bored of Hamilton domination. Now have a greater appreciation and enjoyment for the other battles happening in the race instead of focusing on what's happening at the front.

Anyone started watching that series with Zac Efron? The first episode was good, amazing what Iceland is doing with renewable energy, incredible really. Keen to keep watching.
Saw a bit of it, pretty pretentious shite to me after the first episode.

Niiiiiiiiiico HYUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUULKENBERG

I've gotten massively back into F1 the last few years thanks to the series!

Uni days used to watch those Sunday night races all the time, now I settle for race recaps on my Monday lunch breaks.

Recently smashed through DTS too. Has got me back in to F1 after being bored of Hamilton domination. Now have a greater appreciation and enjoyment for the other battles happening in the race instead of focusing on what's happening at the front.
Great season to get back into

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back