The off topic thread 5.0

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd love to get into the nuances of how many contact hours teachers put in compared to the average full time worker but 99 Problems has gone into it pretty well above so not going to repeat what he's said, but even teachers on 85k for the amount of work they're doing are substantially underpaid. Otherwise as 99 Problems pointed out, if you're correct that they're paid a good wage for good hours and have it easy, there'd be a surplus of teachers not a massive shortage.
Well no, being paid good money for good hours doesn’t automatically mean people would lining up for a job. There’s plenty of good paying jobs that people don’t want to do.
85k is not a miserable wage, minimum wage (42k) would be a miserable wage.

Well no, being paid good money for good hours doesn’t automatically mean people would lining up for a job. There’s plenty of good paying jobs that people don’t want to do.
85k is not a miserable wage, minimum wage (42k) would be a miserable wage.

Yep teachers should just be grateful they're paid a living wage and stop complaining. Nailed it mate.

Ok so now you agree they aren’t paid a miserable wage? Glad we are getting on the same page :)

Don't believe I said being above living wage wasn't miserable but continue please.

If I had to spend 40 weeks a year with your (collective, not you specifically) bratty, snotty little children I’d want time off too.

And I think the counter point you’re missing is that the stuff you’re saying is a bit overblown.
So would I!

I don't think they should work through them. I'm just over the constant whining from teachers that they work throughout their holidays which is BS.

So because you can live on it it's an adequate wage for the work you perform? Think Mr Dutton has the perfect job for you with that attitude.
Keep shifting the goal posts mate, you said teachers made such a miserable wage they can’t take holidays. An average of 85k per year is not a miserable wage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Keep shifting the goal posts mate, you said teachers made such a miserable wage they can’t take holidays. An average of 85k per year is not a miserable wage.

Their holidays are at the most expensive times of the year because of the nature of their role, so it's a double whammy for them considering they don't earn a decent wage. As 99P pointed out, it's below average in Aus before considering the enforced times of leave for them. I don't think that's a controversial opinion but keep arguing all you want.

I mean even the most recent 'increase' they were awarded was a real wage cut due to inflation.

I just can't believe that you tried to argue that because they're above minimum wage they should be happy with their income. :tearsofjoy:

So would I!

I don't think they should work through them. I'm just over the constant whining from teachers that they work throughout their holidays which is BS.
Get better friends then

That's tongue in cheek btw, I know they aren't bludgers. But teachers claiming to work throughout or the majority of school holidays, is like a BF poster claiming to not go on BF during work time

That's tongue in cheek btw, I know they aren't bludgers. But teachers claiming to work throughout or the majority of school holidays, is like a BF poster claiming to not go on BF during work time

If the BF poster is a teacher they're probably telling the truth. ;)

Average wage is $68k.

In Vic teachers earn a very good entry level salary, but it does cap quite quickly.

Yeah my wife was earning about 15-20k more than me when we both started working but I jumped past her with my second move and am now on significantly more. It might be an ok salary as an entry level but it really caps low unless you go private (and there's a ton of extra work that comes with private e.g. Saturday sport).

If the BF poster is a teacher they're probably telling the truth. ;)

Yeah my wife was earning about 15-20k more than me when we both started working but I jumped past her with my second move and am now on significantly more. It might be an ok salary as an entry level but it really caps low unless you go private (and there's a ton of extra work that comes with private e.g. Saturday sport).
If my Web building teacher wasn't on BF mid lesson in year 9, at least half his class was!

Their holidays are at the most expensive times of the year because of the nature of their role, so it's a double whammy for them considering they don't earn a decent wage. As 99P pointed out, it's below average in Aus before considering the enforced times of leave for them. I don't think that's a controversial opinion but keep arguing all you want.

I mean even the most recent 'increase' they were awarded was a real wage cut due to inflation.

I just can't believe that you tried to argue that because they're above minimum wage they should be happy with their income. :tearsofjoy:

Pretty funny how your argument is how teachers only got a 6% pay rise when majority of sectors average out at around 2 - 3% 😂😂😂

But yes as I said:

E63883D5-2D4B-4F1A-B5EC-314727730BE5.gif

Pretty funny how your argument is how teachers only got a 6% pay rise when majority of sectors average out at around 2 - 3% 😂😂😂

But yes as I said:

View attachment 1596104

6% over 2 years works out to how much a year? :rolleyes: And an element of that 6% is the super increase..

$85-$95k with 13 weeks leave is not bad even if two of those weeks is used for planing. I don’t know if it’s already being done but teachers in less advantaged schools should be paid more to encourage more teachers, retain teachers and who more likely will have more work on their hands than a school in a leafy suburb

$85-$95k with 13 weeks leave is not bad even if two of those weeks is used for planing. I don’t know if it’s already being done but teachers in less advantaged schools should be paid more to encourage more teachers, retain teachers and who more likely will have more work on their hands than a school in a leafy suburb

Victoria has incentives of between $9,000 and $50,000 to teachers who take up hard-to-staff positions.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back