The off topic thread 5.0

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, really looking forward to this one. Such a great career and really sad what has happened with Michael Schumacher over the last 8 years.

There has been some fantastic content lately. There is also a 4 part 30 for 30 documentary coming out this week called ‘Once Upon a Time in Queens' about the 1986 New York Mets. Looks awesome.

Did you watch that movie-docu on Maradona that hit Amazon Prime a year or two ago ?

That was bloody amazing.

Did you watch that movie-docu on Maradona that hit Amazon Prime a year or two ago ?

That was bloody amazing.

I don’t know if I have and have just forgotten that I watched it but I don’t think I have. 😂

I will check it out.

Speaking of 9/11, the documentary series on Netflix was very well put together.

The last few chapters were particularly distressing. Guantanamo Bay, Abu Ghraib prison, just randomly picking off targets in Afghanistan with drones and killing countless innocent lives in the process. Horrendous stuff. War crimes. Any other nation and there’d be some dire consequences for that.

And fast forward to now with the current circumstances in Afghanistan, it’s just very sad overall.

The last few chapters were particularly distressing. Guantanamo Bay, Abu Ghraib prison, just randomly picking off targets in Afghanistan with drones and killing countless innocent lives in the process. Horrendous stuff. War crimes. Any other nation and there’d be some dire consequences for that.

And fast forward to now with the current circumstances in Afghanistan, it’s just very sad overall.

I watched that too Glenn. Was fascinating. Interesting from the soldiers POV in Afghanistan about day to day operations and how hard it was to tell regular civilians apart from Taliban. One day someone dressed up as a civilian carting food blew himself up and killed a whole lot of American soldiers.

Not sure what the answer for Afghanistan is. I think it is right that the US gets out of there, too many lives lost fighting a battle that can't be won. Hopefully the new Taliban government is more moderate than back in the 90s where they were barbaric and were a breeding ground for extremists / terrorists. There are encouraging signs with the Taliban ready to cooperate with the old government and international authorities. The problem is they may be all fine now but once Afghanistan drops off the news they go back to their old ways. Disappointing their neighbours Iran/Pakistan have not done more to help the country because it surely is in their best interests to have a peaceful neighbour than one who is constantly in a state of civil war / uprisings.

Afghans are lovely people, count many as former work colleagues and friends that I keep in touch with occasionally. Anyone who lives in or near Dandenong should try the Afghan restaurant, absolutely wonderful food.

Lockdown coming again apparently. Coles regional manager visited heaps of stores on a meet and greet.

I have a mate who is an area manager for Aldi, he still required to travel to all of his stores, up to 2 hours drive a day. Only does 1 day WFH. All his stores are in regional vic and he was told that he needed to be fully vaccinated (and is fully vaccinated).

The civilian loss due to drone strikes is criminal. There's no justification for killing multiple innocents and destroying their homes to end a potential terrorists life. Americans wouldn't dream of doing anything of the kind to a suspect on their own soil so why do they think it's okay to do it in a foreign country.

The torture, Guantanemo Bay, and the process to allow both is just despicable.

War isn't always the answer.

The civilian loss due to drone strikes is criminal. There's no justification for killing multiple innocents and destroying their homes to end a potential terrorists life. Americans wouldn't dream of doing anything of the kind to a suspect on their own soil so why do they think it's okay to do it in a foreign country.

War is never the answer. To praraphrase an episode of a show I was watching recently, wars are fought by people far removed from the actual conflict on the ground, with needless deaths on both sides that eventually always leads to the same thing: both sides having to negotiate or determine a long-lasting, peaceful outcome.

Let's all post song lyrics about war being bad.

Why don't Presidents fight the war? Why do they always send the poor?

And the ANZAC legends didn't mention mud and blood and tears
And the stories that my father told me never seemed quite real
I caught some pieces in my back that I didn't even feel
God help me - I was only nineteen

War, what is it good for? Absolutely nothin'.

Little known fact mate, did you know that Leo Tolstoy's War And Peace was originally called War, What is It Good For?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That footage from the drones was really gut wrenching. You see silhouettes of people in cars/buildings, then a large explosion, and then nothing. It’s just senseless.

Who are these people that they’re randomly killing? Where’s the justification for it? The unbelievable loss of life as collateral damage is disgusting. The footage of children and civilians just being cast into makeshift graves is horrendous. Loss of life, loss of property, decimating lives and villages, it feels that they just did as they pleased and then exited.

Any other nation, and then consequences would be unfathomable. However under the banner of a war on terror, what they have been allowed to do and get away with is disgusting.

If you have access to Amazon Prime, I'd suggest watching 'The Mauritanian'.

That footage from the drones was really gut wrenching. You see silhouettes of people in cars/buildings, then a large explosion, and then nothing. It’s just senseless.

Who are these people that they’re randomly killing? Where’s the justification for it? The unbelievable loss of life as collateral damage is disgusting. The footage of children and civilians just being cast into makeshift graves is horrendous. Loss of life, loss of property, decimating lives and villages, it feels that they just did as they pleased and then exited.

Any other nation, and then consequences would be unfathomable. However under the banner of a war on terror, what they have been allowed to do and get away with is disgusting.

Yes, totally unacceptable. You have to feel for the Afghan people. The soviets first buggered them up. Then that led to the uprising of the Taliban who back in the 90's were horrific and barbaric. That lead to Al-Qaeda breeding there and the Americans getting involved due to 9/11. They then suffer from the battle between coalition troops and Taliban with unacceptably high collateral damage. And now after all that they are back with the Taliban again. I must say although the pull out of America by Biden was haphazard it really had to happen eventually with the local government forces unwilling to fight the Taliban for the good of their country. The nation will now determine its own destiny whatever that may be.

Apparently there will be no public transport going into the Melbourne CBD on Saturday to try prevent those so called freedom day Protesting **** knuckles.

I am sorry it had to come to this, those dumb s**t anti Vaxx/lockdown morons are an absolute rabble.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back