The off topic thread 5.0

Remove this Banner Ad

Responding to your points in order:

1. Hospitals weren't at capacity. For example, Nightingale was a precaution but not used.
2. Wouldn't say chemo is elective, nor is most of the stuff the NHS does. A client of mine remortgaged his house to pay for his wife's chemo privately because the NHS turned her away due to covid. The private hospital told them she would be dead in 3 months if she hadn't gone private. Said client is now in financial distress because of the private hospital bill, higher mortgage payments, and his business is f’ed as a result of lockdowns.
3. That's fair enough but a shitload of people have died/will die as a direct result of this.

2. ‘Elective’ has always been a contentious term to describe healthcare. It basically includes any procedure that isn’t emergency medicine and is scheduled in advance, including some very essential and important services such as chemo as you’ve mentioned.

Sorry to hear about your client. It’s tragic that covid has blocked or delayed access to healthcare like this for so many. The solution? Control the epidemic. Keep hospitalisation numbers down.

Does anyone else think China intentionally released Covid to the world or am I on my own with this one?

Viruses dont work in that way, nobody can intentionally release a virus and make sure it spreads.

What China is guilty of is trying to cover it up which became impossible due covid rapidly spreading. Had they completely shut down travel out of China from late December for a couple of months we wouldnt be where we are now.

The constant mutation of the virus for a start in complety random ways. Viruses get introduced from animals to humans all the time, dont forget the hunble flu was devastating back in 1918.

There is plenty of literature on it. Bats also are just a reservoir for covid, the likely transmission scenario was bat to animal to human (similar to the ending on contagion). Batwing soup wasnt how it started lol

The constant mutation of the virus for a start in complety random ways. Viruses get introduced from animals to humans all the time, dont forget the hunble flu was devastating back in 1918.

There is plenty of literature on it. Bats also are just a reservoir for covid, the likely transmission scenario was bat to animal to human (similar to the ending on contagion). Batwing soup wasnt how it started lol
Can you link me to any literature which states viruses can’t be deliberately released into the population? Wouldn’t mind some closure on this.

2. ‘Elective’ has always been a contentious term to describe healthcare. It basically includes any procedure that isn’t emergency medicine and is scheduled in advance, including some very essential and important services such as chemo as you’ve mentioned.

Sorry to hear about your client. It’s tragic that covid has blocked or delayed access to healthcare like this for so many. The solution? Control the epidemic. Keep hospitalisation numbers down.
Ah, in my head I had elective surgery as chicks having boob jobs and people having gastric bands, etc haha

It's too late for most countries to control the epidemic in the way that New Zealand and Australia have done.

Viruses dont work in that way, nobody can intentionally release a virus and make sure it spreads.

What China is guilty of is trying to cover it up which became impossible due covid rapidly spreading. Had they completely shut down travel out of China from late December for a couple of months we wouldnt be where we are now.
A bunch of Chinese 'tourists' went to the alps during peak ski season and then Europes middle class did the rest for them (if you believe the Chinese did it intentionally).

A bunch of Chinese 'tourists' went to the alps during peak ski season and then Europes middle class did the rest for them (if you believe the Chinese did it intentionally).
Yeah this virus is one that could easily be spread deliberately.

Just look at the current Victorian outbreak. 54 of the 57 cases are linked to the Carlton-Geelong game. Just send someone with the virus somewhere heavily populated like the Alps and let the world do its thing

Nobody tried to deliberately spread the virus but it was incompetence from the Chinese to not immediately shut down all outbound travel in late Dec. Taiwan was the first country to shut down arrivals around this time due to a lack of information from China and it saved them massively.

Your above scenario wouldn't have occurred with a ban on travel by the Chinese.

Just look at the current Victorian outbreak. 54 of the 57 cases are linked to the Carlton-Geelong game. Just send someone with the virus somewhere heavily populated like the Alps and let the world do its thing

I'm actually amazed we haven't had more infectious/deadly diseases rip through the world. That it's taken until 2019/20 for this to happen is actually pretty remarkable when you think how globalised we've been for the better part of 30-40 years at least.

Championship changing race last night.

Not sure I'm a fan of the way Hamilton was celebrating given he'd sent his main rival to the hospital.
10 sec was lenient as *.
As soon as Valtteri laid down like the doormat he is you could see the script was written. He can take out the leader and not have his ability to win points seriously impinged.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is something that a lot of people I speak to back home do not really appreciate. The virus was all over Europe before anyone realised. Europe couldn't just lock down like New Zealand or Australia did because the virus was already in the community. All criticism after they knew about it is fair game though.

Problem is some people spread it easily, others dont. Such is the random nature of viruses. And there were thousands that didnt get infected at the footy.

Problem is some people spread it easily, others dont. Such is the random nature of viruses. And there were thousands that didnt get infected at the footy.
If you were hypothetically going to spread a virus around the world you wouldn't send it out with just 1 person because it's quite random like you say.

But as Bojan stated there were large groups of infected tourists who made their way to Europe. Could be nearly certain at least 1 or 2 would be spreaders of the virus.

Normally Chinese tourists spread ill will among locals for their annoying 10000 posed selfies in front of objects.

Normally Chinese tourists spread ill will among locals for their annoying 10000 posed selfies in front of objects.
I'll never forget a road trip in Spain where I was in the middle of nowhere between Alicante and Valencia I pulled up to park across the motorway from one of those service stations you eat at. There's a basic bridge to get across the motorway, no architectural masterpiece that's for sure. And there was a crowd of 30-40 tourists lining up to pose on the bridge making the peace sign.

I'll never forget a road trip in Spain where I was in the middle of nowhere between Alicante and Valencia I pulled up to park across the motorway from one of those service stations you eat at. There's a basic bridge to get across the motorway, no architectural masterpiece that's for sure. And there was a crowd of 30-40 tourists lining up to pose on the bridge making the peace sign.

Numbers bit more positive with 9 out of the 13 in isolation for their entire infectious period. Still a bit more to go through though

Remove this Banner Ad

Back