The off topic thread 5.0

Remove this Banner Ad

Who else is pumped about freedom day on Oct 26 in Melb? It's been such a long hard road here and a real struggle.
Hopefully I will be down there mid November now that things are looking a lot more positive (on reopening not the numbers of people getting covid)

You must have celebrated Leeds' last league title pretty hard by the sound of it!!!
Not really…wasn’t many about to celebrate with. Went more nuts with Bombers ‘93 win… now there’s some stories

Also anyone in Sydney how has it been since freedom day?
I went and had my second shot on Monday and there were a fair few people in the mall (the vaccination hub is in what used to be a David Jones), particularly lining up to get a haircut.

Not massive as I guess people still had work on, but was still a bit of a shock to the system.

I think if we can get through 2 weeks without having any major rises again in hospitalisations/ICUs/deaths, then we're probably in the clear.
Do still worry about children going back to school without having access to a jab though.

I think people place too large an emphasis on owning a home in the first place.

I dunno, I think it's probably the most valuable asset you'll ever own in your life, and will (more or less) only increase in value over the course of your life.

May 14, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Juventus, Arsenal, OKC, Avalanche
I dunno, I think it's probably the most valuable asset you'll ever own in your life, and will (more or less) only increase in value over the course of your life.
Sure but I mean more the value we place on them as a society. The same thing with marriage/kids. When people look down at someone for not owning a home or not being married or not having/wanting kids.

jd2010

Well done boys. Good process, carry on
Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, Brentford FC
Sure but I mean more the value we place on them as a society. The same thing with marriage/kids. When people look down at someone for not owning a home or not being married or not having/wanting kids.
Same with any sort of pre-conceived perception of people (race, appearance etc.) have of others really

Yeah that's fair, but of any of those things, I guess the value placed on owning a home is the most deserved given it has literal value, but I take your point from a social point of view.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

May 14, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Yeah that's fair, but of any of those things, I guess the value placed on owning a home is the most deserved given it has literal value, but I take your point from a social point of view.
Yeah I'm not disputing whether anyone should purchase property, more so how people seem to have a checklist to tick off. Like you haven't had a "successful" life if you haven't bought a home/kids/married etc.

I feel that's gonna change a lot over the next couple of decades especially that it's costlier to purchase a home and I think the weight of expectation to have these things will decrease as a result.

Oshka

Club Legend
Mar 5, 2021
AFL Club
Richmond
October 26 lockdown ends but we are limited to 25k travel radius. Hospo reopens in limited numbers etc. Mid November I believe is when we hit 80% full vaccination and restrictions end.
Restrictions don’t end at 80% vaccinated. Sorry to say.

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Matildas/Socceroos/LFC/MVFC/RCStrasbourg
I went and had my second shot on Monday and there were a fair few people in the mall (the vaccination hub is in what used to be a David Jones), particularly lining up to get a haircut.

Not massive as I guess people still had work on, but was still a bit of a shock to the system.

I think if we can get through 2 weeks without having any major rises again in hospitalisations/ICUs/deaths, then we're probably in the clear.
Do still worry about children going back to school without having access to a jab though.

I bit the bullet and got the clippers out (#4). Haven't had a haircut since June and having long hair was driving me nuts.

Yeah I'm not disputing whether anyone should purchase property, more so how people seem to have a checklist to tick off. Like you haven't had a "successful" life if you haven't bought a home/kids/married etc.

I feel that's gonna change a lot over the next couple of decades especially that it's costlier to purchase a home and I think the weight of expectation to have these things will decrease as a result.

Haha yeah my mate actually just bought a place two days ago and we're convinced his wife will be hounding him to have kids now that they've checked that item off. It's a bit sad.

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Haha yeah my mate actually just bought a place two days ago and we're convinced his wife will be hounding him to have kids now that they've checked that item off. It's a bit sad.

Funnily enough after all the discussion in here today Dan has just announced a 25% State govt equity first home buyer's program (government funds 25% of first home, when you sell they get 25% of the value of your property). A 5% deposit is required.

That's a pretty sweet deal which sees most first home buyers avoid the dreaded LMI (I copped it back in 2009 only having a 10% deposit). Should accelerate the first home buyers market in theory.

It would be difficult giving up 25% back to the government when you sell down the track though if your property goes up in value significantly!!

Funnily enough after all the discussion in here today Dan has just announced a 25% State govt equity first home buyer's program (government funds 25% of first home, when you sell they get 25% of the value of your property). A 5% deposit is required.

That's a pretty sweet deal which sees most first home buyers avoid the dreaded LMI (I copped it back in 2009 only having a 10% deposit). Should accelerate the first home buyers market in theory.

It would be difficult giving up 25% back to the government when you sell down the track though if your property goes up in value significantly!!
That's interesting, seems a pretty good deal to me.

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
That's interesting, seems a pretty good deal to me.

Eliminating LMI is a big thing. That industry is pretty much a legalised scam as LMI covers the bank only and there end up being very few situations where a claim needs to be made with the increase in house prices.

I dunno, you're still getting 75% of the upside which is better than 100% of none.

May 14, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Haha it's all downhill now for him!

I've seen it with my brother though. His partner, whilst a great gal, definitely has been trying to complete the checklist. Sometimes it just doesn't feel like it's organic the way it's happened but you know, each to their own, as long as they are happy.

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
I dunno, you're still getting 75% of the upside which is better than 100% of none.

Yeah its still good. Combined with 0 stamp duty for first home buyers (up to a prescribed limit) there really is plenty of opportunities for first home buyers in Vic.

What are they doing in NSW?

Oshka

Club Legend
Mar 5, 2021
AFL Club
Richmond

Correct me if I’m wrong here. So if you buy a house for $1m, the government will lend you $250k. If it appreciates by 50% and you sell it for $1.5m, then you have to pay the government back $375k (25% of $1.5m). So of your $500k capital growth, you only get to pocket $125k, and a chunk of that will go towards stamp duty for your next property anyway.

Sounds shithouse tbh.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back