The off topic thread 5.0

Remove this Banner Ad

You could watch the Liverpool v United game, then City v United and then Watford v United to raise your spirits :p
I'm hoping Villareal v United this afternoon will be just as entertaining.

Apr 8, 2007
Dublin
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SJ Sharks/Everton/NY Jets
Thanks, all been fine so far. Just a bit boring not being able to leave the house.

Symptoms definitely on the mild side for me, and none for the lad.
You're unlucky. I had the time of my life... Took a week and a half off work to get better cause my symptoms were mild but I was fatigued so I wasn't up to working all day... At the same time the Olympics were on so I had a lot to watch. Add to that the missus did all the cooking and cleaning

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Matildas/Socceroos/LFC/MVFC/RCStrasbourg
George Zimmerman followed Trayvon Martin from a convenience store into a park and shot him until he died. His defence was Martin was wearing a hoodie and therefore was dangerous so it was self defence / stand your ground.

The US is full of racist campaigners and if you arent white then you will be demonised. Emmett Till situations are still happening today.

I was in Florida when the trial for that was on. And thats not how it went down. Zimmerman was neighbourhood watch, asked Martin what he was doing in the area and called the cops on him. Martin attacked him and in the struggle he shot him. I remember it vividly because I was over there in the thick of it.

Jun 21, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Manchester United
I might go watch the 8-2 highlights.

Arsenal’s 2 goals that day and Ozil missing a 1 on 1 chance for Germany to make the score 8-0 a minute before Brazil pulled a goal back to make it 7-1 were somehow disappointing for me.

Sep 5, 2014
Hertford
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Manchester United, Stevenage FC
You're unlucky. I had the time of my life... Took a week and a half off work to get better cause my symptoms were mild but I was fatigued so I wasn't up to working all day... At the same time the Olympics were on so I had a lot to watch. Add to that the missus did all the cooking and cleaning
Thought you said you had long covid for ages?

Sep 5, 2014
Hertford
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
I was in Florida when the trial for that was on. And thats not how it went down. Zimmerman was neighbourhood watch, asked Martin what he was doing in the area and called the cops on him. Martin attacked him and in the struggle he shot him. I remember it vividly because I was over there in the thick of it.
What a load of s**t.

glenferry23

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal, New York Yankees

Cmon mate. Do white people get asked what they’re doing in a certain area and have the police called on them?

Apr 8, 2007
Dublin
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Thought you said you had long covid for ages?
I did - got my sense of smell back about 2 months after, struggled with the lungs for a bit.

Was more saying the 2 weeks if being stuck inside was ok.

Anyhow 5 people I was with on Friday have anitgen tested and come back positive... i came back negative but dont feel 100%. Could be my lack of sleep because I doubt i can get it again this quick

jd2010

Well done boys. Good process, carry on
Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, Brentford FC
I did - got my sense of smell back about 2 months after, struggled with the lungs for a bit.

Anyhow 5 people I was with on Friday have anitgen tested and come back positive... i came back negative but dont feel 100%. Could be my lack of sleep because I doubt i can get it again this quick
Read something that it has really spiked in ireland again even with good vaccination rates. What's the go? Immunity from the initial doses have dropped off and its spiking again?

Apr 8, 2007
Dublin
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Read something that it has really spiked in ireland again even with good vaccination rates. What's the go? Immunity from the initial doses have dropped off and its spiking again?
Probably, that and people just not doing what they should especially when drinking

Sep 5, 2014
Hertford
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
It's going crazy all across Europe. Rioting in a lot of places due to new v strict covid rules.

Jun 21, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Manchester United

Was that like Game of Thrones long winter that started after a shorter winter?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

jd2010

Well done boys. Good process, carry on
Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, Brentford FC
It's going crazy all across Europe. Rioting in a lot of places due to new v strict covid rules.

Yeah you'd imagine Europeans would be like Australian/Kiwi anti-vax protesters on steroids. Was a bit surprised to see the Southern Europeans outperform countries like Germany on the vaccine rollout. Also really liked this table and even more proof that vaccination works. Must be something in the water in Slovakia (SK) that works too!

1637710513709.png

Saw we only had 180 cases yesterday, no idea how it's staying so low. And it's not even a testing issue, my sister-in-law had to get tested as a casual contact and came back negative, so you'd imagine where there are positive cases, the testing as a result would uncover any additional cases.

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Cmon mate. Do white people get asked what they’re doing in a certain area and have the police called on them?

Oh I agree that there's issues behind a neighborhood watch guy asking an unknown person what they were doing in a housing estate for sure because he's a black guy and then calling police. For reference Zimmerman (who is hispanic) in his role as neighborhood watch had made 46 previous calls about unknown or suspicious prowlers, and not all of them were black.

That's not the issue in the actual case though. The neighborhood watch guy called the cops on him as an unknown prowler and was physically assaulted by the guy. He shot him in the ensuing struggle. In that scneario I don't know how a reasonable person tries to paint it as a murder but that happened big time in the media. The case became a political shitstorm (I experienced it first hand) which actually hinders the pursuit of finding the actual truth IMO. Having Obama come on TV at the time and say "if I had a son he would look like Travyon" was in no way helpful to the case either.

Jun 18, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
That's not the issue in the actual case though. The neighborhood watch guy called the cops on him as an unknown prowler and was physically assaulted by the guy. He shot him in the ensuing struggle. In that scneario I don't know how a reasonable person tries to paint it as a murder but that happened big time in the media. The case became a political shitstorm (I experienced it first hand) which actually hinders the pursuit of finding the actual truth IMO. Having Obama come on TV at the time and say "if I had a son he would look like Travyon" was in no way helpful to the case either.

He called the police, who then specifically told Zimmerman not to follow him, which he ignored.

A teenage boy got murdered because he was black and wearing a hoodie. Simple as that.

Just because you were in America at the time doesn’t mean you have more intimate knowledge on the case, we all have the internet.

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
He called the police, who then specifically told Zimmerman not to follow him, which he ignored.

A teenage boy got murdered because he was black and wearing a hoodie. Simple as that.

Just because you were in America at the time doesn’t mean you have more intimate knowledge on the case, we all have the internet.

That's what the sensationalist headlines were reported at the time yes.

Acutal research into facts would have shown you that he had called police 46 times about suspicious prowlers, this was not abnormal behaviour for the guy and plenty of those calls were made about young white kids. The guy was obviously a wannabe neighorhood watch cop who wanted to feel important by doing something. Also, he had only just recently finished up with a complaint with the Sanford police department about how one of their officers beat up a homeless black guy before this incident happened And he was mentoring young black kids at the time plus he is also hispanic who generally suffer as much oppression as african americans.

This was another case of a needless tragedy caused by stupid gun laws that continue unabated. It's as simple as that.

That's what the sensationalist headlines were reported at the time yes.

Acutal research into facts would have shown you that he had called police 46 times about suspicious prowlers, this was not abnormal behaviour for the guy and plenty of those calls were made about young white kids. The guy was obviously a wannabe neighorhood watch cop who wanted to feel important by doing something. Also, he had only just recently finished up with a complaint with the Sanford police department about how one of their officers beat up a homeless black guy before this incident happened And he was mentoring young black kids at the time plus he is also hispanic who generally suffer as much oppression as african americans.

This was another case of a needless tragedy caused by stupid gun laws that continue unabated. It's as simple as that.

Why was it caused by the stupid gun laws and not him disobeying police instructions?

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Why was it caused by the stupid gun laws and not him disobeying police instructions?

911 dispatchers are not the police. And it is stupid that average citizens are allowed to carry guns. There would be no gun to struggle over and no shots fired in a stuggle if concealed gun ownership was banned as it should be in America.

Instead the gun lobby continues to have too much influence politically and I even remember far right nutters trying to claim Zimmerman havong a gun saved his life which is simply a laughable rhetoric.

911 dispatchers are not the police. And it is stupid that average citizens are allowed to carry guns. There would be no gun to struggle over and no shots fired in a stuggle if concealed gun ownership was banned as it should be in America.

Instead the gun lobby continues to have too much influence politically and I even remember far right nutters trying to claim Zimmerman havong a gun saved his life which is simply a laughable rhetoric.

Yeah I think you're focussing on the wrong issue here..

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
I'm hoping Villareal v United this afternoon will be just as entertaining.

Hope both of you are doing ok for your 10 days of ISO. How does it work with the rest of the family? Are you just staying in your room and not leaving? Does it mean the rest of your family have to do 14 days of quarantine as a close contact?

I would have thought yet another needless shooting death is the real issue here and its relation to lax gun laws. If you think that's not the real issue here what do you think is the actual issue?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back