The off topic thread 5.0

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah I don't really buy the idea that Han Solo has to be Harrison Ford. Once the movie got going I was fine with it. Same with McGregor as Obi-Wan or Glover as Lando.
But the differences there is that Obi Wan is on screen for a very small amount of time and played by a very old man in Alec Guiness. So when you came to recast the character as a younger version it was easier to do. Because you never had a young version to compare him too.

With Lando, two things, one he's not as iconic as Han and certainly has far less screen time than Han in the original trilogy and two you actually hired a genius in Donald Glover to handle the recast.

But with Han. You already had Han as a young dashing Han Solo. So now you're trying to show us the same Han at a very similar age yet its not quite Han. He doesnt sounds like Han, he doesnt look like Han. He's.. erm not Han Solo.

It just didnt work for me.

But the differences there is that Obi Wan is on screen for a very small amount of time and played by a very old man in Alec McGuiness. So when you came to recast the character as a younger version it was easier to do. Because you never had a young version to compare him too.

With Lando, two things, one he's not as iconic as Han and certainly has far less screen time than Han in the original trilogy and two you actually hired a genius in Donald Glover to handle the recast.

But with Han. You already had Han as a young dashing Han Solo. So now you're trying to show us the same Han at a very similar age yet its not quite Han. He doesnt sounds like Han, he doesnt look like Han. He's.. erm not Han Solo.

It just didnt work for me.

McGuiness?

You could maybe watch it though and then comment. The Critical Drinker is brilliant.

Yeah I dunno mate, pretty sure I remember you being convinced that Kathleen Kennedy was getting thrown out because Favreau went to Disney or some rubbish like that that a lot of the Youtubers regurgitate.

Actually The Wire is a show I started watching, then gave up after two episodes. Came back to it a few months later and loved it. That actually happened to be twice when I tried another re-watch. It starts off slowly but then it amazing once its in the swing of things. Omar Little is one of the greatest television characters ever (R.I.P Michael K. Williams).
Some of my all time favourites I've done that. Give up after a few episodes and then go back later and get immediately hooked. Sopranos, the Wire, Ozarks etc.

It's Ozark, no S lol. Nah it's bloody great, I love it. Bateman is outstanding.

Plot is too drawn out with overly long episodes. Needs to have the editing tightened up considerably, the same story could be told much more efficiently. Looks like they've learned a bit, final season being split in half.

Plot is too drawn out with overly long episodes. Needs to have the editing tightened up considerably, the same story could be told much more efficiently. Looks like they've learned a bit, final season being split in half.
Oh yeah, fair enough.

Each to their own I suppose. Looking forward to what the final season brings.

1999 to now has been magical in terms of television greatness. The Sopranos, The Wire, The Shield had their Season 1’s within a three year period. Wow.

And television has been just as impressive ever since. No word of a lie but outside of rewatching movies a few times a year, I reckon I have watched 5 new release movies in the last 5 years. But I can rewatch a great television series easily. I just prefer TV so much more.

Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul is worthy to be mentioned in the pantheon of television. So was Game of Thrones for its first 3/4 seasons then it fell away badly when it started to divert away more and more from George RR Martin's books.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul is worthy to be mentioned in the pantheon of television. So was Game of Thrones for its first 3/4 seasons then it fell away badly when it started to divert away more and more from George RR Martin's books.

Brraking Bad is another series I needed to watch twice to fully appreciate just how great it it but now I can re-watch that series at any time. The only series I would compare to some of the greats of the last 22 years that came before 1999 is The Twilight Zone and that finished in 1964 (not counting sitcoms).

Season 6 is one of the best seasons of the show.

Brraking Bad is another series I needed to watch twice to fully appreciate just how great it it but now I can re-watch that series at any time. The only series I would compare to some of the greats of the last 22 years that came before 1999 is The Twilight Zone and that finished in 1964 (not counting sitcoms).

I dunno about that, Buffy The Vampire Slayer and it's spin off, Angel are shows I re-watch from start to finish at least twice a year

People tell me The West Wing is great, but gave up at the start of the 3rd season, just too boring and unengaging for me.

The first 5 or 6 seasons of 24 was also some of the most exciting and tense TV I have ever seen.

I really struggled with the West Wing. I struggle with TV shows where I am ambivalent about the characters. Kind of surprising as I like most things written by Aaron Sorkin. I might try it again one day but I have other stuff I want to watch first.

Apparently Dopesick is unbelievable and I am still working my way through SAMCRO and Peaky Blinders so plenty to get through.

I dunno about that, Buffy The Vampire Slayer and it's spin off, Angel are shows I re-watch from start to finish at least twice a year

People tell me The West Wing is great, but gave up at the start of the 3rd season, just too boring and unengaging for me.

The first 5 or 6 seasons of 24 was also some of the most exciting and tense TV I have ever seen.

I haven’t watched the first three series you mentioned. “24” was excellent. First 5 seasons were so good. It did fall of in Season 6 IMO, although the first 4 episodes of that season were as good as any of the shows run to that point. Season 7 had some great episodes and season 8 was the weakest of the original run, although the last 6-8 episodes were fantastic. We need another season, it did come back 4 years after the original with that season in London and still couldn’t conclude Jack Bauer story lol. The man is what would happen if you had one person playing James Bond. He never dies. That was 7 years ago.

Funnily enough I just started the west wing a few weeks ago. I'm not a big politics guy but am enjoying it. Interesting that many of the issues discussed are still relevant almost 20 years later.

Funnily enough I just started the west wing a few weeks ago. I'm not a big politics guy but am enjoying it. Interesting that many of the issues discussed are still relevant almost 20 years later.
Im not huge into politics either but its just so well written. Such a great show. I love it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back