The off topic thread 5.0

Remove this Banner Ad

293548729_10160984657164368_2693018467198157131_n.jpg

Hurling is a really cool sport..

They used to show the final here on FTA years ago. Looked quite silly with those big paddles.
I remember the football one. Had no idea about the game really. Still don't understand the rules in either game that well but I actually think I prefer hurling over football

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

I'd think you'd find quite a few cricket Australia teams/members would be as well.
I've always wondered why there isn't more players of south asian decent in the Australian or state cricket setup compared to the numbers you see at junior club level. Not saying it's purely systematic racism but there's got to be some sort of drop off rate in those teenage years which might be a cultural focus on schooling. Or am I way off in thinking a handful of state players out of 70 odd contracted is not equal representation to kid club cricket level?

I've always wondered why there isn't more players of south asian decent in the Australian or state cricket setup compared to the numbers you see at junior club level. Not saying it's purely systematic racism but there's got to be some sort of drop off rate in those teenage years which might be a cultural focus on schooling. Or am I way off in thinking a handful of state players out of 70 odd contracted is not equal representation to kid club cricket level?
Be interested to see those figures.

I played for 17 years and can recall the number of south Asian players I played against on one hand.

I played for 17 years and can recall the number of south Asian players I played against on one hand.
Same. Still playing and the only ethnic diverse group I’ve come across is a recently formed club that has a high Indian contingent.

Nothing from South Asia or anywhere else for that matter.

And juniors was no different so it doesn’t appear to be that they’re weeded out at a young age from my experience.

Same. Still playing and the only ethnic diverse group I’ve come across is a recently formed club that has a high Indian contingent.

Nothing from South Asia or anywhere else for that matter.

And juniors was no different so it doesn’t appear to be that they’re weeded out at a young age from my experience.
Yep, there's a recent team that started up of Bangladeshi guys and I've come across Indian players before but that's really about it. The odd British player every now and then as well.

I played for a few years and can think of a few clubs on one hand who were 75% south Asian decent. Obviously grew up in quite a diverse part of Melbourne but it doesn't surprise me that other parts wouldn't be. CA would have those junior figures by ethnicity and if there ever was a discrepancy they sure as hell wouldn't let it be known

Remove this Banner Ad

Back