The off topic thread #2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, was so shaken up. Who the **** tries to run someone off the road? Even if he thought I was driving too close behind him (which I really wasn't), just pull over, let me go past and then drive.
Same thing happened to me on the Calder about 6-7 years ago

I was doing 80ish in an 80 zone going through Keilor/Green Gully etc overtaking, cement truck up my arse starts blaring horn. I get pissed off, speed up to 90 to try and get away from him, he goes quicker and I'm still blocked in on the right so I rage brake in anger then speed up and go to the left lane eventually.

Bloke tries running me off the road, luckily there was a cycling lane. I slam brakes on in shock, bloke sticks a crowbar out the window gesturing for a fight. I'm sticking fingers and s**t up at him, then he eventually drives off down the Melton Highway and goes somewhere in Taylors Lakes. I got his rego though and reported him, cop checked up on him and called me back like 5 minutes later and told me he had priors.

******* flog

Same thing happened to me on the Calder about 6-7 years ago

I was doing 80ish in an 80 zone going through Keilor/Green Gully etc overtaking, cement truck up my arse starts blaring horn. I get pissed off, speed up to 90 to try and get away from him, he goes quicker and I'm still blocked in on the right so I rage brake in anger then speed up and go to the left lane eventually.

Bloke tries running me off the road, luckily there was a cycling lane. I slam brakes on in shock, bloke sticks a crowbar out the window gesturing for a fight. I'm sticking fingers and s**t up at him, then he eventually drives off down the Melton Highway and goes somewhere in Taylors Lakes. I got his rego though and reported him, cop checked up on him and called me back like 5 minutes later and told me he had priors.

******* flog

Yeah wish I'd got his rego, it was dark though and I had no chance. We were going round tight bends and I was speeding up because I was worried if I slowed down at all he'd ram into the back of me. He was in a ute so I don't even know if it would have done him much damage.

Yeah wish I'd got his rego, it was dark though and I had no chance. We were going round tight bends and I was speeding up because I was worried if I slowed down at all he'd ram into the back of me. He was in a ute so I don't even know if it would have done him much damage.
Yeah I was lucky it was in the middle of the day on a semi-busy freeway

So many campaigners on the road, no wonder the road tolls are high and the message never gets out, temptation gets the better of many far too often. Temptation to speed/drive recklessly, to show off your wank fully sick V8, to not GAF driving under the influence etc.

People won't learn

I reckon he may have been driving home from the RSL so your comment about being under the influence is probably relevant in this case. For that sort of reaction from such minimal provocation was absolutely ridiculous.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only just started watching.. up to episode 6 first season
End of the first season!! :eek: binged it all last night. Will start the second tonight. Hooked

I saw jaws the other night. Still think it's one of the best films of all time. I realised why, it's because the three characters on the boat work off each other so well. I think Robert Shaw as Quint is one of my favourite characters of all time. Also models>>>cgi (as any Star Wars fan will tell you). The shark looks crap though in this scene - but you don't really notice cos Shaw plays it so well

I went fishing the other day, bloke I was with caught a 4 and a half foot shark.

Bloody evil looking creatures they are.

Hell yeah sharks are utter campaigners.

Listens to Quints description of a shark and the terror they install in you when he is describing the sinking of the Indianapolis during WWII. One of the great movie scenes of all time that is

Speaking of movies, ive been watching a lot of sci-fi lately. One of my favourite genres. What are some of your guys favourite sci-fi films?

Also the other problem is really narrowing down what is sci-fi and what isnt. Some people class a film like Inception as sci-fi and technically is it, but I always view sci-fi as movies about space haha.

Here is what the internet describes science fiction as.

Science fiction is a genre of speculative fiction dealing with imaginative concepts such as futuristic science and technology, space travel, time travel, faster than light travel, parallel universes, and extraterrestrial life.

So many goodies and that's before you get into your classics, like some movies made after the turn of the century.

Children of Men
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Moon
- Sam Rockwell is excellent.
District 9 - one of my all time favourites.
Edge of Tomorrow
Rise of the Planet of the Apes
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
- never rated any of the old ones because well they dont age well and the Mark Wahlberg one is dumb. The two new ones are boss though.
War of the Worlds - some ppl hate Spielbergs movie, maybe because of Cruise, but I really liked it. I grew up on the soundtrack though so I've always love War of the Worlds.
Wall-E
Signs
- Shyamalan fell off a cliff after this one IMO, but I love this movie, I just love the idea of never really seeing the Aliens and the whole scene with Joaquin Phoenix in the cupboard when he sees the Alien caught on camera in the news report freaks me out everytime. The scene where he goes into the house to check the pantry and you see the lights going dark and light, as if someone in pacing. Then the fingers come out from under the door.... ahhh that movie is tense!

Minority Report - Tom Cruise always picks good films.
Looper
Attack the Block -
star wars bloke before he was mega star wars famous.
Inception
A.I. :Artificial Intelligence -
Underrated Spielberg film IMO. I've seen it soooo many times.
Ex-Machina
Interstellar
Donnie Darko -
a classic!!
Independence Day - another all time classic for me, I grew up on this one.
The Martian -
I do love me some Matt Damon.
Star Trek (2009) - I dont really rate the old Star Trek movies with Shatner and co, the Next Gen ones were hit and miss too, some were great though.
The Abyss
Dark City
Predator
- another classic and another one I grew up on.
Starship Troopers
- the original for me is an absolute sci-fi classic and if I was making a top 10 list, this film would be on it, the sequels were gash.
Ghostbusters I & II
Contact
- loved this film growing up. Im ok to go, im ok to go, im ok to go.
Total Recall
- CLASSIC. Two weeks.... two weeks....
The Fifth Element - I know a lot of ppl that dont like this movie or see it as silly but i freaking love it. It's a perfect fun, action a plenty sci-fi with stunning visuals. It's one of my favourite Bruce Willis flicks. Multipass!
Jurassic Park - one of my all time favourite films. Ever.
Sphere
RoboCop
- a classic which I again grew up on. Sequels werent great but the original was a cracker.
Terminator 2 - Judgement Day - quite clearly the best of the Terminator franchise, a baddie for the ages and a killer soundtrack. The original was also very good but we all love Arnie as the hero, not the villain. Endlessly quotable.
The Thing
E.T.
- another I grew up on and love eternally. Spielberg doing his thing again.
The Matrix - would probably make my top 10 list. An all time classic IMO. The two sequels were pretty average and never lived up to how great the original was.
Close Encounters of the Third Kind -
Spielberg at it again.
Alien
Aliens -
each film stands alone, you can bunch the two together, everything after Aliens though is pretty average stock standard sci-fi but the first two are true classics.
Back to the Future Trilogy - the original is the best but I love all three and grew up on them.
Star Wars Trilogy - the prequels dont exist and if you erased the Ewoks from the back half of Return and replaced them with I dont know.... Wookies, you know a creature capable of taking on Stormtroopers in a battle then you would have had a perfect trilogy.

Anything I missed lads?

I know, I know. 2001: A Space Odyssey but I re-watched it about a year ago and it was boring. Just straight up boring.

Also, any list of all time usually has Blade Runner in 1st or 2nd but I've tried to watch it a couple of times and havent been able to get through the first 15 minutes. I really, really, have to push through and watch that film to see what all the fuss is about.

You guys got any guilty pleasure sci-fi's like Cowboys and Aliens which I just recently re-watched :D

Science fiction

Star Wars Trilogy

zjxrie5ljfnmbvznhdqh.jpg

The correct term is Science Fantasy to best describe that!

Sci-Fi is a weird one. I know you can do some good stuff with it, but at the same time, I don't really like the majority of the movies in those films for one reason or another. There's like a handful of those that I do like.

It's also very good that you pointed out the broad nature of Sci-Fi, since its more than just space of course.

Yeah I'm loving the Planet of the Apes movies.

Wonder what they'll do when they get to remaking the original. I know in the first one they had a brief cameo of the rocket leaving Earth, will they maybe go back and show that period from their point of view, with some cameos from the original cast from that movie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back