The off topic thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

How can I watch the Killing Joke now? Worth seeing glenferry23 ?

I have no idea why but I absolutely love the dark Joker comics. I don't even think I've read them all.

Straight to DVD.

The creators for reasons unknown wanted it to have exactly one show (which you'd had to find by pure accident when going to Village, and the right cinema to boot.)

When I went to the cinema, it was full of Batman fans, each of them having something Batman on show, even down to a Batman wallpaper.

I was a little confused when I saw the opening scenes. I thought they actually retconned the backstory of the Joker for a moment. It was only when they started doing the flashbacks did it actually come to light that rather then start off with the backstory, they just started off with some extra filler material. But I think its good since it gives Batgirl extra material. People might be mixed on it, because the story is meant to be about the Joker, and we really don't get him until the 2nd half. There was a certain scene about it that made it feel quite out of place though.

The comic if I recall correctly wasn't that long, and it showed with the film, which had Mark Hamill (smashing performance as usual) talk about the Joker and his role, as well as the music they did for the film.

The ending was a little disappointing, I know how that scene went, but there was more to it. It just sort of... stops.

It was alright, Hamill did great, but it felt like it was lacking that extra something about it. It's a twisted story, but yet... it feels... milder. The creators said they didn't want to scar the audience, but the end result was... yeah, mild.

Straight to DVD.

The creators for reasons unknown wanted it to have exactly one show (which you'd had to find by pure accident when going to Village, and the right cinema to boot.)

When I went to the cinema, it was full of Batman fans, each of them having something Batman on show, even down to a Batman wallpaper.

I was a little confused when I saw the opening scenes. I thought they actually retconned the backstory of the Joker for a moment. It was only when they started doing the flashbacks did it actually come to light that rather then start off with the backstory, they just started off with some extra filler material. But I think its good since it gives Batgirl extra material. People might be mixed on it, because the story is meant to be about the Joker, and we really don't get him until the 2nd half. There was a certain scene about it that made it feel quite out of place though.

The comic if I recall correctly wasn't that long, and it showed with the film, which had Mark Hamill (smashing performance as usual) talk about the Joker and his role, as well as the music they did for the film.

The ending was a little disappointing, I know how that scene went, but there was more to it. It just sort of... stops.

It was alright, Hamill did great, but it felt like it was lacking that extra something about it. It's a twisted story, but yet... it feels... milder. The creators said they didn't want to scar the audience, but the end result was... yeah, mild.
Well that sounds a little disappointing. They really could have made it as dark as the comic considering they weren't making it a big blockbuster type thing.

I'll definitely still check it out. Hopefully it's out soon!

How can I watch the Killing Joke now? Worth seeing glenferry23 ?

I have no idea why but I absolutely love the dark Joker comics. I don't even think I've read them all.

Its on DVD now but a few people have said they've been able to download it. Definetely worth watching. Fryer Tuck has surmised it quite well.

For me I was a bit letdown. The controversial moment FT mentioned was baffling for me, I really dislike that. Wasn't so much concerned with the padding out of the story (especially the first 30 minutes) as I knew this would happen as they needed to make it a feature length. The main story itself is quite short. But the ending is what made the novel great, it is meant to leave you guessing as to what happened. But this didn't unfortunately.

But certainly worthwhile watching, I think the general Batman fan will love this. At its best, it really hit the core concept of why Batman/The Joker need each other. And why they have more in common than Bruce likes to admit - both are the victim of one bad day. The mirroring of this in the novel was awesome. And it does translate on screen here too. Its ******* dark, which I think you will enjoy.

Its on DVD now but a few people have said they've been able to download it. Definetely worth watching. Fryer Tuck has surmised it quite well.

For me I was a bit letdown. The controversial moment FT mentioned was baffling for me, I really dislike that. Wasn't so much concerned with the padding out of the story (especially the first 30 minutes) as I knew this would happen as they needed to make it a feature length. The main story itself is quite short. But the ending is what made the novel great, it is meant to leave you guessing as to what happened. But this didn't unfortunately.

But certainly worthwhile watching, I think the general Batman fan will love this. At its best, it really hit the core concept of why Batman/The Joker need each other. And why they have more in common than Bruce likes to admit - both are the victim of one bad day. The mirroring of this in the novel was awesome. And it does translate on screen here too. Its ******* dark, which I think you will enjoy.
I'll have to have a look tonight. I've read the comic so I'm got some idea going into it! Might re-read the comic on the way home tonight actually.

What was the other really dark Joker comic? From memory there was 2 of them? The Killing Joke and something else?

Bought my gold class tickets to Suicide Squad today! Can't ******* wait!

Read something about the Joker being Jason Todd (who I think was/is Robin)?

Isn't that a theory that Jason Todd (2nd Robin) is the Joker? It's a weird one, but it has some credibility. Mind you, I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing that Robin is the Joker. That has so many implications that it might take a little too much spotlight in my opinion.

Isn't that a theory that Jason Todd (2nd Robin) is the Joker? It's a weird one, but it has some credibility. Mind you, I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing that Robin is the Joker. That has so many implications that it might take a little too much spotlight in my opinion.
I am not up to date with any of that haha. 2 Robins? How?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am not up to date with any of that haha. 2 Robins? How?
Not two Robins, but the 2nd person to play Robin.

The first being Dick Grayson before he became Nightwing. Jason Todd was the 2nd incarnation of Robin (I'm thinking this ties in with the fact that Jason Todd does play Red Hood, which was the Joker's old persona before becoming the Joker. So in a weird way, Jason Todd being SS' joker makes a lot of sense.)

Tim Drake was the third, and he made Robin a standalone hero.

We even had a female Robin in Stephaine Brown (who also became an incarnation of Batgirl)

Damian Wayne (Bruce's son) was also a Robin as well (or Helena Wayne depending on which continuity you're looking at.)

Let's just say that when it comes to Robins, you only need to know of Grayson, Todd, and Drake.

I'll have to have a look tonight. I've read the comic so I'm got some idea going into it! Might re-read the comic on the way home tonight actually.

What was the other really dark Joker comic? From memory there was 2 of them? The Killing Joke and something else?

Death In The Family and its recent reincarnation Death Of The Family are right up your alley if you need a dark Joker story.

Jason Todd was the 2nd Robin, after Dick Grayson graduated to become Nightwing. However he wasn't that popular with fans in the 80s.

To spice things up, DC announced they'd do a story arc where The Joker captures him and beats the s**t outta him with a crowbar. But his fate was left up to the fans. This was the Death In The Family story.

A hotline was set up where you could call and have two options - live or die. The majority voted for die and hence the above comic was released in 89 I believe.

I remember checking our mail everyday for about 8 weeks waiting for it. Not the kind of s**t a 9 year old should be reading but I was obsessed back then.

Death In The Family and its recent reincarnation Death Of The Family are right up your alley if you need a dark Joker story.

Jason Todd was the 2nd Robin, after Dick Grayson graduated to become Nightwing. However he wasn't that popular with fans in the 80s.

To spice things up, DC announced they'd do a story arc where The Joker captures him and beats the s**t outta him with a crowbar. But his fate was left up to the fans. This was the Death In The Family story.

A hotline was set up where you could call and have two options - live or die. The majority voted for die and hence the above comic was released in 89 I believe.

I remember checking our mail everyday for about 8 weeks waiting for it. Not the kind of s**t a 9 year old should be reading but I was obsessed back then.
That's epic!

If the Joker beat the s**t out of Jason Todd (2nd Robin), how could the Joker be Jason Todd?

That's epic!

If the Joker beat the s**t out of Jason Todd (2nd Robin), how could the Joker be Jason Todd?

It gets very complicated.

In 2005, Todd was resurrected and returned as the Red Hood. This was way before the Arkham Knight.

The Red Hood's significance you will recall from The Killing Joke. A fan theory has looked for sometime that Leto's Joker is in fact Todd.

I don't think so but would be extremely ballsy if they did this.

Not a comic reader but a massive fan of the stories and ties in between them. Any books out there worth reading that kind of give a fuller picture of some/all of either the marvel or DC universe? Or is it the sort of thing that you only get from being an avid comic reader follower

It gets very complicated.

In 2005, Todd was resurrected and returned as the Red Hood. This was way before the Arkham Knight.

The Red Hood's significance you will recall from The Killing Joke. A fan theory has looked for sometime that Leto's Joker is in fact Todd.

I don't think so but would be extremely ballsy if they did this.
Just found death in the family. What's death of the family like? Seems like it would be dark.

Just found death in the family. What's death of the family like? Seems like it would be dark.

Death Of is essentially the modern day retelling of Death In. As part of the New 52 that was rebooted a few years ago (I hope this makes sense).

But they are very different stories altogether. It's great, really blew me away how dark and edgy DC went. It's a sadistic Joker, his methods of killing are more ******* crazy. I can't say who he kills though because that would spoil it.

Usually I can read these novels pretty much in one sitting. But Death Of was one of the rare ones where I needed a break. It was messed up at times.

Not a comic reader but a massive fan of the stories and ties in between them. Any books out there worth reading that kind of give a fuller picture of some/all of either the marvel or DC universe? Or is it the sort of thing that you only get from being an avid comic reader follower

Depends what you're looking for exactly. Do you mean like a summary of the overall picture and like a background on each character etc?

Im starting to think I wont really understand the suicide squad movie...
Im not a massive fan of the superhero ones however this seems pretty awesome so will watch it, just you guys are saying things I have no idea about haha

Im not a massive fan of the superhero ones however this seems pretty awesome so will watch it, just you guys are saying things I have no idea about haha
Do what I am gonna do.

Just go in watching it blind. I have no idea of the backstory, and will just watch it for what it is, an action film.

Do what I am gonna do.

Just go in watching it blind. I have no idea of the backstory, and will just watch it for what it is, an action film.

That's the best approach. I don't think there'll be a problem with Suicide Squad.

No massive depth is required, aside from knowing that they are what you could perhaps say are '2nd tier ' Batman villains who have been locked up at various points in Batman's career. The rest I'm sure will take care of itself when you see it.

That's the best approach. I don't think there'll be a problem with Suicide Squad.

No massive depth is required, aside from knowing that they are what you could perhaps say are '2nd tier ' Batman villains who have been locked up at various points in Batman's career. The rest I'm sure will take care of itself when you see it.
You mean besides Will Smith

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back