Other The Off-Topic Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Lot of peeps getting into chess lately (the past year or so)
I have a very simple but effective chess strategy that sees me win far more games than lose....every piece you move the next piece you move defends it. So you have a chain-link of pieces protecting each other. So if someone takes a piece of yours you take their piece. And so on, so eventually you have more pieces than them especially if they havent been so thoughtful protecting their pieces, or playing too aggressively.

I have a very simple but effective chess strategy that sees me win far more games than lose....every piece you move the next piece you move defends it. So you have a chain-link of pieces protecting each other. So if someone takes a piece of yours you take their piece. And so on, so eventually you have more pieces than them especially if they havent been so thoughtful protecting their pieces, or playing too aggressively.

I loved poker, I notice a lot of poker players that I grew up watching have transitioned to chess of recent times.

Dont mind poker, texas hold'em

Yea, I'm shite at Omaha, Holdem the only game for me. But sadly now illegal online in Australia. ******* nanny state.

Still enjoy watching new strategies on it, and how the game has evolved on YouTube since the last time I could play it however.

Yea, I'm sh*te at Omaha, Holdem the only game for me. But sadly now illegal online in Australia. ******* nanny state.
Most over-regulated country in the world, far too many rules and restrictions. Safe but boring and unproductive and lacking inagination/creativity. Probably like Switzerland too.

Thanks in large part to The Queen's Gambit I think, which was one of the best tv shows of last year

I haven't seen it or even heard of it either. Will have a look.👍

Ill have to check that out, looking for a new show to get into
I haven't seen it or even heard of it either. Will have a look.👍
Its a 7-part mini-series based on the book of the same name about an orphan girl who it turns out is a chess prodigy and how she deals with it.

Its a bit of a slow burn initially, but its brilliantly acted (particularly by Anya Taylor-Joy and Bill Camp) and the cinematography is beautiful. If you don't mind character driven stories in your TV and aren't some woke idiot that gets triggered every time a piece of art doesn't focus on your cause du jour (which you two clearly aren't), then you should enjoy it.

*I only mention the woke idiots because it seemed like they were the only people that didn't like it - there were multiple people in the media/on social media complaining that it wasn't realistic enough because of a combination of it being too white, that there wasn't enough sexual harassment and/or that the sets/props were too nice.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just had the cops bang on my door, asking when was the last time I saw my neighbour etc, they moved in about 6 months ago had been a quiet working family, asked me if they could scale my back fence to get in.

Pretty scary, maybe he's killed everyone? :(

The problem is you only need to take one piece to win.

A decent chess player will slaughter this strategy

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Lot of peeps getting into chess lately (the past year or so)
I use to play a fair bit but haven't for years now

Got a pretty good coral chess board that sits on a buffet at home but never use it anymore

Might teach the kids one day and get back into it

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Cops and ambo left at 12:30 ish last night, can assume it wasn't the mass homicide I feared initially

Got a feeling maybe the wife and kids left him and he had been there alone, not answering their calls or knocks on the door or something?

Cops and ambo left at 12:30 ish last night, can assume it wasn't the mass homicide I feared initially

Got a feeling maybe the wife and kids left him and he had been there alone, not answering their calls or knocks on the door or something?
It's probably partly your fault, if you were a bad/pesky neighbor youd have involved yourself in their lives more

It's probably partly your fault, if you were a bad/pesky neighbor youd have involved yourself in their lives more

Zero guilt. Had a bloke knock himself off last year in the house two doors down. Used to work at the local bottle-o.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back