FTA-TV The Office: US or UK?

Remove this Banner Ad

Gee love them both . Watch both pretty regularly , but would have the UK ahead .

- David Brent character monsters Michael Scott IMO. His 1-1 camera stuff is amazing . Loved his 'play by the roles/beefy botham' bit , can watch that bit all day. Training day another classic
- UK has better one subtle liners and everytime you watch an episode you can pick something else funny in the episode you havent noticed before.
- As cringy as Brent is I think the character is more believable then Michael Scott .
- US peaked season 2-4 , but has decent episodes in each season . Just went too long
- James Spader introduction into the US version was a great addition.
- Couldn't stand Jim/Pam beyond season 5, Andy beyond season 7 ( was funny through the peak )
- Dwight and Creed brilliant throughout

Anyway great show love talking about it

UK version is fantastic

US version took me a while to get into it but still love it. As most have mentioned it goes off the rails a bit in season 7 but finishes up pretty well I reckon.

Would have loved for the UK one to continue on a season or two more.

Once I finished school in November last year I binged the US Office and loved it pretty much immediately. As my profile picture shows, I became a fan and got into right away. I'm not sure if 'emotionally' is the right word, but I got really into the show that even after Jim + Pam's wedding and Michael leaving I was still able to enjoy it. The show certainly hit it's peak between season 2-6, but I enjoyed seasons 7-9 as well.

I'm now onto watching the series again and I'm seeing episodes for the 2nd/3rd/4th time, depending on where I'm up to streaming on Stan and also where Fox Funny is up to, and it's still fantastic

I've seen bits and pieces of the UK version, but as others have said, having gotten to know the US version first means I'm probably going to be pretty biased when comparing the two. The UK version is a great show, but the US version having a longer runtime and allowing the huge supporting cast to develop their characters makes it a winner for me

Also found Michael a better character because at least you could see why he was made the boss; never got that with Brent.

I think that's a big part of the humour of the Brent character, his inadequacy on a personal and professional level, making you ask why he's in the position in the first place.

US version is a pretty good show but I seriously don't get how you could prefer it over the UK which is some of the funniest TV ever made.

I did like the UK show and the US show was a complete "copy" of it, however from S2 onwards it really develops into its own unique identity.

Up to the point of when "JAM" got married or even when Carrell left the show, the show up to either of those points IMO is a better and more satisfying and rewarding show than the UK in its entirety.

UK The Office is definitely funny and I agree some of the funniest TV ever made, I felt though the US version took it to another level.

IIRC with the UK The Office, you felt sad and a bit of pity for their boss, whereas Michael Scott is very endearing, despite his many flaws.

How the characters on The Office would describe Coronavirus.

how-the-characters-on-the-office-would-describe-coronavirus-meme.jpg

I will start watching the US version next week, I have seen episodes here and there and thought some very pretty funny.

Are there any episodes in season 1 that are a must watch or is it best to start with season 2?

I will start watching the US version next week, I have seen episodes here and there and thought some very pretty funny.

Are there any episodes in season 1 that are a must watch or is it best to start with season 2?

While I think the US Office had it's peak in seasons 2-3, I don't think there's any reason to skip season 1- it's only 6 episodes (compared to 20+ for most of the subsequent seasons), it sets things up and has a few good episodes (The Alliance is one of my all-time favourite episodes).

Dont skip. The later episodes are great because of the build of characters.

Just skip the first episode as its pretty much line for line a remake of the UK Pilot. From then on it goes its own direction. Basketball in S1 is one of my all time favourite episodes

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just skip the first episode as its pretty much line for line a remake of the UK Pilot. From then on it goes its own direction. Basketball in S1 is one of my all time favourite episodes
What is wrong with me today.

Seen a few episodes of each. UK version seemed based around awkward moments. US version seemed to have more characters and zany moments which makes sense given it had far, far more episodes. Doubt I'll ever get around to fully watching both now.

Last edited:
Seen a few episodes of each. UK version seemed based around awkward moments. US version seemed to have more characters and zany moments which makes sense given it had far, far more episodes. Doubt I'll ever get around to fully watching both now.
Why not watch the whole UK, it's only 12 episodes and pure brilliance, who hasn't known a guy like this in real life? Scotland

UK is decent, but it's like comparing the WAFL to the AFL.

Why not watch the whole UK, it's only 12 episodes and pure brilliance, who hasn't known a guy like this in real life? Scotland

UK is decent, but it's like comparing the WAFL to the AFL.

I love in the UK version how aware of the cameras the characters are. Every interaction in the show is built around the characters doing what they think will make them come across best on TV. And that's what adds to the brilliance of the David Brent character.

Having only just started watching the UK one, one thing that stands out (could be shown to be wrong as I continue watching) is that the David Brent character seems a lot more awful than the Michael Scott. The Scott is more of a fool but with a heart in the right place, an honest trier, sometimes tries too hard. Brent seems more of a ignorant boofhead who doesn't care for others.

Last edited:
Belter of an episode , was the one that made me think this could actually be ok.

- Dwight stealing off the female warehouse worker then getting in her grill when he scored a layup
- Michael assuming Stanley would ve good because he was black
- Michael just being terrible , but talking himself up

Having only just started watching the UK one, one thing that stands out (could be shown to be wrong as I continue watching) is that the David Brent character seems a lot more awful than the Michael Scott. The Scott is more of a fool but with a heart in the right place, an honest trier, sometimes tries too hard. Brent seems more of a ignorant boofhead who doesn't care for others.
My mate I think sums them up well

Brent - self indulgant , ignorant and thinks people like him but they dont . Terrible manager and generally bad at his job.
Does things for self gain.
Scott - wants people to like him , most do. Actually a good salesperson when he wants to be.
Emotional because he cares about his staff...and wants to be liked

Remove this Banner Ad

Back