FTA-TV The Office: US or UK?

Remove this Banner Ad

SeparatePlushIntermediateegret-small.gif

Heard Simply the Best in the background on the Biden celebrations and the first thing I think of is David Brent.

How funny is it when that cleaner tries to come in as he's closing the door. Srsly dunno how those actors were able to keep a straight face to get it filmed..

I didn't like the US Office straight away. Thought I'd always prefer the UK one but it grew on me and now I love both.

Tone is different in the US one but they developed something that was quality in its own right. Did think it veered off course towards the end though, not just because of Michael Scott leaving either. The storylines headed more strongly towards farce than usual, a bit like how Seinfeld became more 'zany' over time and away from subtle social observations.

I didn't like the US Office straight away. Thought I'd always prefer the UK one but it grew on me and now I love both.

Tone is different in the US one but they developed something that was quality in its own right. Did think it veered off course towards the end though, not just because of Michael Scott leaving either. The storylines headed more strongly towards farce than usual, a bit like how Seinfeld became more 'zany' over time and away from subtle social observations.

I would like to know their reason for turning Andy into a more prominent character once Michael left.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ok so I sat and tried to watch a few US episodes back to back last night. They were from series 10 or something so I wasn't expecting them to be the highest quality.

On its own merit I found it funny enough. The overwhelming feeling throughout though was "this is unrealistic." Dwight not picking up that the waitress on his bucks party was a stripper etc. Gareth and Dwight have a few similarities but Gareth - or anyone for that matter - would be cluey enough to work out what was going on. A lack of self-awareness does not equate to a lack of all knowledge of the world. This is why the US version will never ever be as good at what it is intended to be, as what the UK version is.

As stupid and uncomfortable as most of the situations in the UK version are, I can imagine a circumstance in which all of them are actually possible in real life.

Dude, its a light hearted comedy
Not Gone with the Wind.
Thats kinda like saying the Spice Girls somehow shouldnt be popular because their music dosent measure up to Pink Floyd.

Dude, its a light hearted comedy
Not Gone with the Wind.
Thats kinda like saying the Spice Girls somehow shouldnt be popular because their music dosent measure up to Pink Floyd.

Where did I say it’s not?

The point is it’s a comparison between the two shows.

The us version as I’ve said in this thread somewhere stands up as a decent enough show on its own. But in a totally different way to the UK version.

There is a reason the UK version gets used as a study tool by some educational establishments - its tantamount to genius to be able to make something both funny and completely believable.

The US version is not - however it is still a funny sitcom in its own right, just in a totally different way

probably belongs in the same filing cabinet as the US Men Behaving Badly, the US Peep Show, the US Inbetweeners and the US Red Dwarf

They only made a pilot for the US Peep Show, thankfully they didn't go ahead with making it into a series, I watched parts of the pilot on youtube and it was awful.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back