FTA-TV The Office: US or UK?

Remove this Banner Ad

Fllipellers ... How they hanging? To the left? To the right? Okay, you go first?

You called me Michael.

Impossible to compare the 2 shows.

UK Office is perfect for it's 13 episodes.

US Office is inconsistent but goes for about 200 episodes. Season 2 and 3 were as good as The Simpsons in their prime.

I think Finchy is the most perfectly conceived character in TV history just about. Costanza is the other one in that equation.

But EVERYBODY that's ever worked anywhere knows a Finchy. The individual that is so fundamentally horrible but has enough natural charisma to stay popular even with some of the smarter and nicer people. Neil is a fundamentally GOOD person (albeit a little smug) and he actually likes Finchy.

I think Finchy is the most perfectly conceived character in TV history just about. Costanza is the other one in that equation.

But EVERYBODY that's ever worked anywhere knows a Finchy. The individual that is so fundamentally horrible but has enough natural charisma to stay popular even with some of the smarter and nicer people. Neil is a fundamentally GOOD person (albeit a little smug) and he actually likes Finchy.
So true about Finch !

Ive always thought towards the end of the UK they made Neil pretty arrogant , even a little bit hypocritical.

So true about Finch !

Ive always thought towards the end of the UK they made Neil pretty arrogant , even a little bit hypocritical.

In the Christmas special he was a bit patronising and condescending to David - repeatedly asking him if he'd be bringing a date to the Christmas party, then the immortal "No dog with you today David?" (which of course inspired another classic Finchy line - "Did you not see her? She just left") but I could see how someone like Neil would just be at his wit's end with David being in the office every other day and would have obviously sensed how much David was jealous of him.

Chris Finch vs Todd Packer...?

Both gold

Packer's "apology" as part of Alcoholics Anonymous haha
Finch a more real character but Packer funnier imo , possible because the US version was longer.
A few Packer highlights of mine

' Ive landed on my feet , Im just like a cat I have 9 lives and I have a 9 inch .......'

' this is perfect for me , I'm a real alligator nerd. I know every species and genus .....plus I'm a real boob nerd ' on getting moved to Tallahassee

' Schrutes got it in for me but Im playing the long game , when's there an opening Im going to swoop in ....just like a sexual preditor ' Sabre store opening

Great cutaways !

Ok so I’ve started actually sitting down and watching the US office.
Not from S1 E1 but just picking random episodes, sometimes blocks of 2-3.

It is very entertaining. Stand by my lack of realism claim but it is very funny.

I don’t like big Kevin though.

He’s too easily pisstaken. He’s a caricature. Big Keith was less obvious and more subtle

Ok so I’ve started actually sitting down and watching the US office.
Not from S1 E1 but just picking random episodes, sometimes blocks of 2-3.

It is very entertaining. Stand by my lack of realism claim but it is very funny.

I don’t like big Kevin though.

He’s too easily pisstaken. He’s a caricature. Big Keith was less obvious and more subtle
Only time I've ever really got into it for a bit was when they had the Idris Elba as Charles Miner plot line. Once that was over just went back to meh and eventually stopped watching.

You're right. I feel like the character changes a fair bit after it is established that he's mates with Finchy, you start to see the 'locker room' banter creep out a little bit, when previously he was always ultra professional.

AS Phatboy says though, I think Neil's slipping patience after prolonged exposure to Brent's antics is very realistic and definitely something that most of us can relate to.

Only time I've ever really got into it for a bit was when they had the Idris Elba as Charles Miner plot line. Once that was over just went back to meh and eventually stopped watching.
Thought he gave it a real spark when he was in it.
Absolute elite sledger too at the company picnic vollyball tournament too 👍

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lee was a world class knobhead but Tim was sailing a bit close to the wind a lot of the time.
Tim is your straight man in the show and a decent bloke. But even he can also be a bit of tool himself which Lee actually points at one stage with something like "When get yourself a life mate, you can start taking the Mickey out of other peoples" It's one thing in the show that I like and is pretty realistic in that for the most part nobody is perfectly good or bad.

Tim is your straight man in the show and a decent bloke. But even he can also be a bit of tool himself which Lee actually points at one stage with something like "When get yourself a life mate, you can start taking the Mickey out of other peoples" It's one thing in the show that I like and is pretty realistic in that for the most part nobody is perfectly good or bad.

Very good point. Ricky (the temp, not Gervais) is pretty good. But still bangs a young girl on their first date without anyone letting her guardian know that she’s safe.

Just watched the 'Training day' ep , Brent at his best . Probably the best episode in both series.
' we are both good at what we do , Texas couldn't run a successful paper merchant and I couldn't ......well I could do what they do and I think they knew that even back then . Probably spurred them on .' 😄

Just watched the 'Training day' ep , Brent at his best . Probably the best episode in both series.
' we are both good at what we do , Texas couldn't run a successful paper merchant and I couldn't ......well I could do what they do and I think they knew that even back then . Probably spurred them on .' 😄

I think The Quiz is peak office episode wise but training day is the peak of Brent. Amazingly well written and acted.

Dawn and her wanka boyfriend, we've all been there like Tim "why is she with that wanka and not me?".

While I absolutely loved the ending of the Xmas ep/series, people are kind of correct to point out IRL it rarely ends up that way. Or not as much.
In reality she would have married the jerk and just thought of Tim as the "one that could have been".

But again... the ending was just 10/10 brilliant. The song too when she walks in the room from the background. AND they still manage to get a joke in, courtesy of Gareth sticking his nose in it where it doesnt belong :laughv1:

But yeah, no words, just a look, a kiss (x2) and then takes his hand, walks off camera. Just perfect. Yanks would have done some whole dramatic s**t, then filmed the scene where they discuss their relationship/hooking up finally. Would have totally ruined it.

While I absolutely loved the ending of the Xmas ep/series, people are kind of correct to point out IRL it rarely ends up that way. Or not as much.
In reality she would have married the jerk and just thought of Tim as the "one that could have been".

But again... the ending was just 10/10 brilliant. The song too when she walks in the room from the background. AND they still manage to get a joke in, courtesy of Gareth sticking his nose in it where it doesnt belong :laughv1:

But yeah, no words, just a look, a kiss (x2) and then takes his hand, walks off camera. Just perfect. Yanks would have done some whole dramatic sh*t, then filmed the scene where they discuss their relationship/hooking up finally. Would have totally ruined it.

Also the implied idea of what happened in the car with Lee rather than showing it. Brilliantly done.

There are a lot of articles online about ‘why Tim is the bad guy in the office’ based on him trying to cut Lee’s grass etc etc.

It’s garbage - the first time he asks her out he is under the illusion that she and Lee have broken up. By the time he does it again it’s obvious to anyone that knows them that Lee is a pig and Dawn is wasting her life with him.

There is not a line in the however many seasons of the US version that comes even close to this. It's simple, yet brilliant.

Lol that whole scene just encapsulates everything about all three men.

Neil is a bit smug but not enough of a prat to say something genuinely nasty, but still laughs at Finchy.

Finchy who absolutely doubtless would have loved to have rooted Brent’s date, still plays the alpha male and says something snide to Brent.

Brent, although his actual standing up for himself is out of character, delivers the only thing he could possibly say (in the absence of something intelligent or witty) that could shut Finchy up.

It’s magnificent.

Lol that whole scene just encapsulates everything about all three men.

Neil is a bit smug but not enough of a prat to say something genuinely nasty, but still laughs at Finchy.

Finchy who absolutely doubtless would have loved to have rooted Brent’s date, still plays the alpha male and says something snide to Brent.

Brent, although his actual standing up for himself is out of character, delivers the only thing he could possibly say (in the absence of something intelligent or witty) that could shut Finchy up.

It’s magnificent.
Even the subtlety of Brent calling him Chris and not Finchy is spot on. I remember in high school having the same realisation that a charismatic bully that I had been trying to appease was actually a complete and utter dickhead. Such brilliant writing.

Even the subtlety of Brent calling him Chris and not Finchy is spot on. I remember in high school having the same realisation that a charismatic bully that I had been trying to appease was actually a complete and utter dickhead. Such brilliant writing.

Yes!!! It’s the only time he calls him ‘Chris.’

He refers to him as ‘Chris finch’ a few times but that’s it

Remove this Banner Ad

Back