FTA-TV The Office: US or UK?

Sep 13, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
They should be made to show a photo with them holding up a copy of that days newspaper
Bu8_l-pIgAA0T54.jpg

Apr 6, 2005
La Côte d'Azur
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Everton FC
I was late to jump on the Ricky train but I believe he's a comedic genius, but somehow lucked his way into it. His unique look on life, people and circumstances are brilliant. I've watched the UK Office many times, and casually watched a few episodes here and there of the US version over the years, never really seeing anything past season 2.

Since December 17 I've been watching the US series from the start. I'm currently up to S06.E23. I can't really compare them against each other. Brent's no Scott and Scott's no Brent, likewise for Dwight and Gareth. They all bring something brilliant and unique to their roles. The ensemble in the US version is better IMO, but they had so much more time to explore extra characters.

I love them both in different ways.

Plus, give me Pam over Dawn anyday of the week.

Apr 6, 2005
La Côte d'Azur
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Everton FC
Im into E.10 S.08 of the US version and I do love them both. The US version just gives us so much more story, and Steve Carrell is brilliant, but he's not Ricky Gervais, and the 2 shouldn't really be compared. They're both great in their own ways.

If I was forced to choose what is the better, then it's the UK version as it's the original, but the US version has so much more to enjoy. It's like comparing John Lennon to Paul Mcartney.. One lived longer.

I haven't seen it mentioned in this thread, but there is an excellent podcast created by Brian Baumgartner (Kevin Malone) that features everyone involved with the US version that is excellent listening.

Jul 26, 2007
The Tree
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Coney Island Warriors
Im into E.10 S.08 of the US version and I do love them both. The US version just gives us so much more story, and Steve Carrell is brilliant, but he's not Ricky Gervais, and the 2 shouldn't really be compared. They're both great in their own ways.

If I was forced to choose what is the better, then it's the UK version as it's the original, but the US version has so much more to enjoy. It's like comparing John Lennon to Paul Mcartney.. One lived longer.

I haven't seen it mentioned in this thread, but there is an excellent podcast created by Brian Baumgartner (Kevin Malone) that features everyone involved with the US version that is excellent listening.

The Office Ladies podcast with Jenna Fischer and Angela Kinsey is also quite good, even if it has the occasional tendency to become a tad self-congratulatory (in particular Fischer who seemingly is the next Meryl Streep acting wise).

mr bagcroft

Norm Smith Medallist
May 19, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Up to season 6, I havent watched the US for years, but Im going from whoa to go , all 201 episodes.
Them Ill check out the UK one again, only saw it a few times, seemed boring as bat s**t in comparison.

Dec 2, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Up to season 6, I havent watched the US for years, but Im going from whoa to go , all 201 episodes.
Them Ill check out the UK one again, only saw it a few times, seemed boring as bat sh*t in comparison.

Same here, I decided 2 weeks ago I'd start the US version and then watch the UK, Just finished season 5, Stress relief is my fave episode so far, Dwight is all time.

Same here, I decided 2 weeks ago I'd start the US version and then watch the UK, Just finished season 5, Stress relief is my fave episode so far, Dwight is all time.

Had to check what this one was about, but yes that was hilarious when Dwight set the office on fire, all for helping his coworkers in a "real emergency".

There was a suggestion it may be rebooted for 2021.

Currently watching the US version from start to finish.

Series 3-4 seem to be the peak

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Currently watching the US version from start to finish.

Series 3-4 seem to be the peak

Absolutely, whats more impressive is that they are long seasons too. Im just not sure that kind of comedy would be allowed today in our woke world.

I actually wish they did a 2021 "special" for the coronavirus in The Office. Would be hilarious just thinking of it.

mr bagcroft

Norm Smith Medallist
May 19, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Would the US show get off the ground today? Probably not. What a sad state of affairs due to the sub human leftist woke w***ers.
Question....why in season 3 I think it was, did episodes seem to go to 40 minutes?

Absolutely, whats more impressive is that they are long seasons too. Im just not sure that kind of comedy would be allowed today in our woke world.

I actually wish they did a 2021 "special" for the coronavirus in The Office. Would be hilarious just thinking of it.
Yeah I could imagine the hate and complaints they were cop today

Once I finish all the episodes I'm going to watch the UK version. I'm a big fan of UK comedies but not so much Ricky Gervais so it will be interesting

Yeah I could imagine the hate and complaints they were cop today

Once I finish all the episodes I'm going to watch the UK version. I'm a big fan of UK comedies but not so much Ricky Gervais so it will be interesting

Various posters have different opinions on US v UK.

Mine is simple. I respect the UK for the source material and being funny. The US used that material as the foundation and developed real depth and meaning to the characters and IMO created a funnier show, where it really peaked in the s2-s6 range.

Unfortunately and sadly there is no place in the woke world of 2021 for this comedy. Thats the real tragedy. The show respected no culture, stereotype or sex, when it takes pot shots at everything, I see no problem with it. I could understand if it was offensive to just one particular type of people, but it wasnt, it genuinely ridiculed everyone.

Would the US show get off the ground today? Probably not. What a sad state of affairs due to the sub human leftist woke w***ers.
Question....why in season 3 I think it was, did episodes seem to go to 40 minutes?
not 40 minutes but I did notice that the time lengths were pretty random. a few would go for the standard 20-21 mins and then there would be one at 29 minutes

revo333

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 7, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

I think they are 2 part episodes and some streaming services decide to stream them as the one episode.

Last edited:
May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Various posters have different opinions on US v UK.

Mine is simple. I respect the UK for the source material and being funny. The US used that material as the foundation and developed real depth and meaning to the characters and IMO created a funnier show, where it really peaked in the s2-s6 range.

Unfortunately and sadly there is no place in the woke world of 2021 for this comedy. Thats the real tragedy. The show respected no culture, stereotype or sex, when it takes pot shots at everything, I see no problem with it. I could understand if it was offensive to just one particular type of people, but it wasnt, it genuinely ridiculed everyone.

Thats the genius of the UK version to me. In 12 episodes plus a Christmas special, they've managed to flesh out almost everything you could possibly need to know about Brent, Gareth, Tim, Finchy, Dawn, Neil, Tim's annoying deskmate in the Christmas specials, Lee, even Big Keith to an extent. Ricky the temp as well.

Yes we don't know every minute detail of their lives but Tim living with his parents at 30 tells you everything you need to know about him. The subtlety of the line where Tim is arguing with Gareth: "Team leader don't mean nothing mate, it's a title they give you to make you do something they don't want to. It's like making the div kid at school a milk monitor. No one respects it." "Ah yes they did, because if they were rude to me, I'd give them their milk last." In 20 seconds we learn everything we need to know about Gareth's youth and where he stood on the social scale and how he was perceived by those around him. It's beautifully written.

Aug 13, 2007
Vancouver
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oilers
Why is everyone getting so precious in this thread? What was so shocking about The Office that it couldn't get made now? Last I checked, It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia is still going strong.

Was thinking the same thing. Perhaps they meant on a major network rather than Netflix or cable. There are plenty of things more 'offensive' on those than The Office.

Jul 26, 2007
The Tree
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Coney Island Warriors
Why is everyone getting so precious in this thread? What was so shocking about The Office that it couldn't get made now? Last I checked, It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia is still going strong.

Early days there was a fair bit of casual racism and homophobia, even the stars of the show have mentioned that they don't feel many jokes would make it to air if made now. Of course, that's more "would they get on NBC" as opposed to cable (FX is a helluva lot more liberal but even that hasn't protected Sunny from getting the occasional chop in re-runs, some episodes don't even exist any more).

Series 4. Apparently double episodes and had to do with the writers strike

Back