Universal Love "Never Toumpas Apart" - Jimmy, I like your hustle, thats why it was so hard to cut you

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
His hip injuries ****** his career before it started. Was never able to run and build any kind of confidence.

His hips must have permanently depressed the panic button hidden somewhere therein because he's right up there as one of the least composed players I've ever seen at professional level, ****ed hips or no.

Sylvia Saint

Cancelled
May 20, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Crusaders
I remember he was touted as a 2nd round pick and on the day GWS just decided to use pick 3 on him because they wanted tall defenders.
From memory we were keen on him with pick 4 along with Ben Kennedy and Wines before Toump 'fell into our laps'. Disaster all round except for Wines obviously.

We did get Viney at 26 and targeted Oliver three years later so I guess it all evens out in the wash.

I remember he was touted as a 2nd round pick and on the day GWS just decided to use pick 3 on him because they wanted tall defenders.

After they'd just traded us a much better tall defender in Jack Hombsch for pick 29.

• I see Toumpas as a really exciting prospect. As you said, he was a top 4 pick so there is plenty of potential there. He wouldn't be the first player we've taken to a new level after arriving from another club. Much like Polec, White, Ebert, etc

• Oct 26 2015 1:52 PM
    Couldn't agree more. Toumpas has a very big upside and is well worth Port taking a punt with. Being back home in Adelaide could help him and you are right, the Power has a good record in recent seasons of maximising the potential of struggling players.

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
17 possessions, 1 contested, 1 tackle, going at 58% by foot, which is up from the 45% he was thrashing it around at by half time.

Didn't watch the game but looks like he did well. Well done to him. Hope he gets the chance to show what he can do in the seniors and takes it.

Oct 9, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
It is a little bit disturbing how this board follows him....

That said, as the game progressed he got better I thought.

I think Young might get dropped, as no way will Wingard stay out if ready to go, so I think he did a bit better than Young. Another week would be fair on that performance.

Monfries is lurking as well.

Sylvia Saint

Cancelled
May 20, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Crusaders
Pretty sure he never got those kind of numbers when playing with us. Good luck to him, it's clearly not a trade that has hurt us so him playing some games at Port is water off a duck's back.

Ando727

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 12, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Melbourne
He's back.
Today: He's back
Monday: He's gone.

His hips must have permanently depressed the panic button hidden somewhere therein because he's right up there as one of the least composed players I've ever seen at professional level, ****** hips or no.
It's worth mentioning that the footage we saw of him using his sublime speed were clips from Under-18 competition. At that level, some kids look fast, but don't necessarily get any faster when they hit AFL level. In the meantime, a lot of the other players who were a yard slower are getting stronger and faster. By the time they hit the big time, there isn't that much between them. There are always only a couple of really quick players in any team. Jimmy isn't really blessed with an athletic body type now that he's reach maturity. I don't think he's injured anymore, he's just not fast, not strong, not confident, average skills, easily spooked. That's why I don't see him getting any higher than a depth player at Port. He'll probably get some games, but there's no star in there waiting to bust out.

Cannon82

Cancelled
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Where do you get the DE% by foot stat from?

Go to the website, click on the match and when the stats come up, click on 'advanced'.

Edit: Probably wrong most of the time, as usually the disposals doesn't add up to the number of contested and uncontested possessions, but eh.

Back