Training The OFFICIAL 2016 Training thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Waite seems like a nuffy then. Save that stuff for opposition teams

No-one dares mess with ben10
Don't mind it, tbh.

Save an Irishman kicking someone up the arse, it shows a good bit of competitiveness we've lacked in previous pre seasons.

Bring on 2016.

No I think that this kind of stuff is really important. The last few years we've approached pre-season without the intensity required to hit Round 1 running and been smashed each time as a result. I think the old boys yesterday, chiefly led by Boomer who appears to have been especially competitive and angry were going out of their way to make sure the team is switched on and psychologically prepared for a big year from the get go. Having everybody feeling good about themselves due to a couple of soft intraclub games would be a pointless exercise. From the sounds of things yesterday was especially intense, competitive and impressive. Exciting times.

No one should get special treatment this time of year. It's all about the team and what lies ahead.
Waite seems like a nuffy then. Save that stuff for opposition teams

No-one dares mess with ben10

Most of the posters who came here seem happy for him.

I have noticed alot of Hawks fans are happy to see him doing well. Friends of my mums is a hawks nutter and said that he and his family are really nice people so thats probably the reason i guess. They are all also spewing he left because he is a jet.

So no Higgins, Taz, garner or Jacobs

Either they're all being wrapped in cotton due to injury they got in the pre-season or it's more of management thing (especially Garner, Higgins and Taz bad luck with injuries throughout their careers)

I would think if they would all get some game time if fit...

No I think that this kind of stuff is really important. The last few years we've approached pre-season without the intensity required to hit Round 1 running and been smashed each time as a result. I think the old boys yesterday, chiefly led by Boomer who appears to have been especially competitive and angry were going out of their way to make sure the team is switched on and psychologically prepared for a big year from the get go. Having everybody feeling good about themselves due to a couple of soft intraclub games would be a pointless exercise. From the sounds of things yesterday was especially intense, competitive and impressive. Exciting times.

No one should get special treatment this time of year. It's all about the team and what lies ahead.

We don't want to be like this mob,

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-02-...okes-in-tackles-at-training-says-nathan-jones

Still 6 weeks out from season proper, plenty of time to condition those who missed a 3-quarter intra-club match.

Really looking forward to seeing some of our 2015 draftees in the NAB Cup - Clarke, Hibberd and Wagner all look ready to make solid VFL contributions this year, wouldn't even put it past one to sneak an AFL game.

Just a couple of things I noticed from the game.

Mckenzie and Ray were good in their roles, should fill the players picked for the games/role Bastinac played.
Addition of Anderson and Wells significantly will change our ball movement - more sling shot goals for north in 2016
Clarke and Mountford Both didn't look out of place and did some good things.
Between these six players their contribution to team will hopefully fix the issue of ball movement through the wings and reduce the amount of stoppages on the flanks.

Fordham and wood also good contributors throughout the game with Fordham stouch with Waite good to see the young bloke not intimidated.

Atley, mullet, wright and McDonald all looked good across half back. Impressed with McDonald's communication and sledging, one of the prominent In the team.

Black looks noticeably bigger and stronger.

Hibberd and Wagner did some good things defensively both also might get a game during this year.

All other senior players that played were solid so think we are better position than the same time 2015.

What is the situation with Higgins, will he play NAB 1 ?
Good question.

He has been doing all the training but none of the praccies. Not sure what the deal is there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't mind it, tbh.

Save an Irishman kicking someone up the arse, it shows a good bit of competitiveness we've lacked in previous pre seasons.

Bring on 2016.
I agree. If you allow rock to beat scissors you should be cockpunched every time!

Hey guys just popped in for about an hour to watch the boys train today. Don't know if I should disclose this or if I'm reading too much into this so I won't use any names but a certain player who was training with all the boys when I got there, at some point (maybe about 30 to 45 after I had gotten there) walked off, got changed into normal clothes, had a talk to some of the medicos, and then left whilst all the boys were still in their drills. Didn't seem right to me but hopefully it's nothing.

Of what I saw of the training itself skills were good, some were a little rusty but that's normal for this time of year. Of the young boys it's definitely Clarke and Wagner who are the most impressive and most likely to break into the team. Their athleticism allows them to get separation and space from whomever is playing on them, and they generally find a teammate when they use it. Wagner especially.

The drills that were closest to me had to do with a player starting play from the left hb flank and getting the ball into the forward line mostly looking in board through the corridor. Players rotated in three separate groups of about 14 or so players and 3 players were in the forward 50 running their own forward patterns without an opponent on them. The players that caught my eye were Higgins, Anderson, Wells, Wagner. They were just clean with the ball and made good decisions trying to move the ball forward. A play I recall is Higgins receiving the kick from half back, somehow seeing Anderson free about 30-40 metres away, and pinpointing the kick to him past a bunch of players. Anderson then streaming forward through the middle hits the forward target with ease 20-30 metres away. Of the forwards, the groups of three I remember were Preuss, Daw, and Brown, and the other three I think were Black, Garner, and Turner? Preuss and Brown were used a lot more than Daw in their group of three, and Garner and the other forward (not sure if it was Turner now) were used a lot more than Black when the ball was coming in. Make of that what you will.

Wood was playing in the middle from what I saw of that drill, Tarrant was playing and looked to be moving okay. Mckay was under the tent getting some massage for about half an hour, and then did some running drills. He may have joined in with the main group after but I didn't see this. Mckay, Higgins, and Anderson had the green netball sorta bib on if that means anything. Also, Nielson was running laps, he looks a solid unit though! Durdin trained with the main boys, more defined in the arms but still skinny core. Ed VW was running laps with Jacobs for a little while. I didn't see much of a lot of the players because I was on the wrong side at times, but if I remember anything else i'll let you fine folks know.

Hey guys just popped in for about an hour to watch the boys train today. Don't know if I should disclose this or if I'm reading too much into this so I won't use any names but a certain player who was training with all the boys when I got there, at some point (maybe about 30 to 45 after I had gotten there) walked off, got changed into normal clothes, had a talk to some of the medicos, and then left whilst all the boys were still in their drills. Didn't seem right to me but hopefully it's nothing.

Of what I saw of the training itself skills were good, some were a little rusty but that's normal for this time of year. Of the young boys it's definitely Clarke and Wagner who are the most impressive and most likely to break into the team. Their athleticism allows them to get separation and space from whomever is playing on them, and they generally find a teammate when they use it. Wagner especially.

The drills that were closest to me had to do with a player starting play from the left hb flank and getting the ball into the forward line mostly looking in board through the corridor. Players rotated in three separate groups of about 14 or so players and 3 players were in the forward 50 running their own forward patterns without an opponent on them. The players that caught my eye were Higgins, Anderson, Wells, Wagner. They were just clean with the ball and made good decisions trying to move the ball forward. A play I recall is Higgins receiving the kick from half back, somehow seeing Anderson free about 30-40 metres away, and pinpointing the kick to him past a bunch of players. Anderson then streaming forward through the middle hits the forward target with ease 20-30 metres away. Of the forwards, the groups of three I remember were Preuss, Daw, and Brown, and the other three I think were Black, Garner, and Turner? Preuss and Brown were used a lot more than Daw in their group of three, and Garner and the other forward (not sure if it was Turner now) were used a lot more than Black when the ball was coming in. Make of that what you will.

Wood was playing in the middle from what I saw of that drill, Tarrant was playing and looked to be moving okay. Mckay was under the tent getting some massage for about half an hour, and then did some running drills. He may have joined in with the main group after but I didn't see this. Mckay, Higgins, and Anderson had the green netball sorta bib on if that means anything. Also, Nielson was running laps, he looks a solid unit though! Durdin trained with the main boys, more defined in the arms but still skinny core. Ed VW was running laps with Jacobs for a little while. I didn't see much of a lot of the players because I was on the wrong side at times, but if I remember anything else i'll let you fine folks know.

Thats awesome thanks.

who was the player? hint please or PM

Just name the player.

Alright but if Heath comes asking for my head on a stake I will be very annoyed. Wells came off, I didn't even see him come off, he didn't have a noticeable limp or anything from what I could see, but he came off while everyone else was still training, must have changed out of his north gear, spoke to heath and saunders, and then left while training was still going on. Could have been for anything though so don't jump to thinking it's injury related straight away. I just thought it was weird that's all.

Alright but if Heath comes asking for my head on a stake I will be very annoyed. Wells came off, I didn't even see him come off, he didn't have a noticeable limp or anything from what I could see, but he came off while everyone else was still training, must have changed out of his north gear, spoke to heath and saunders, and then left while training was still going on. Could have been for anything though so don't jump to thinking it's injury related straight away. I just thought it was weird that's all.
Actually Dan meant to say......"Just name the player, unless it is Wells." :(

Let's not get ahead of ourselves here...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back