Toast The Official Bailey Banfield Appreciation Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

As many of you know, I have left a trail of bodies in my wake during my continual search for a buddy, and for a while I thought this year’s choice would follow the same theme.

I’m happy to be sitting here tonight however and admit that I’m wrong. Because after a full year’s absence, this season’s model has produced a career best game:

So here’s to you Mr Bailey Banfield, Bobby loves you more than you will know, whoa whoa whoa!!

9A5831A0-8EE4-4B42-8BE6-79DDDC25E183.jpeg
* picture may not be to scale

Bailey is just so great, at the game today when he scored his first goal he said "That one was for Tonga Bob, my official 2021 buddy on BigFooty!"

When he scored his second he said "That one was for serial_thrilla, my official 2021 buddy on BigFooty!"

And when he scored his third he yelled ""That one was for Tonga Bob again, my official 2021 buddy on BigFooty! I like him much more than serial_thrilla"

He is the Sam Sturt we always wanted.

Against Carlton we missed having another forward target over 180cm tall. By bringing in Bailey, our forward structure is completely different - no more trying to hit up Swita on a 190cm defender. And it seems he is a relatively reliable kick.
We need to temper our excitement in that the Hawks defence looked like a bottom two team defence, but let's give him a chance.
At 23 years old he is a bit more physically developed than when we first saw him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope he backs it up again vs Geelong. Even if he averages 13-15 disposals a game and kicks 2 or 3 goals a game, it would be hard not give him a contract for 2022. Always loved his 1st season. He looked solid as a depth mid.

Even if he is C graded player. He can fit as an inside mid or a forward flanker.

His kicking (which has been previously a massive weak point) has been very good all year both when he has played WAFL and yesterday. He has definitely has earned another year in only a small number of games (I am including the WAFL games because I was actually convinced by the game earlier in the season pre-injury that he had risen to another level).

I'm interested that a lot of WAFL users had stated that he was really dominating and class above at that level. Interesting that has translated to him improving at AFL level.

I hope he backs it up again vs Geelong. Even if he averages 13-15 disposals a game and kicks 2 or 3 goals a game, it would be hard not give him a contract for 2022. Always loved his 1st season. He looked solid as a depth mid.

Even if he is C graded player. He can fit as an inside mid or a forward flanker.
13-15 disposals and 2-3 goals per game would be comparable to prime Gunston or Breust and means he’d win our goal kicking.

To come into a team that's infamously struggling with goal kicking, and potentially your own career on the line, and nail the first set shot was pretty special. It would also puts doubt in his defenders mind that he can't just peel off and create a 2 on 1 against Lobb.
Yep, and that will play into the Geelong game too. Wonder how Banfield would go playing on Stewart.

Yep, and that will play into the Geelong game too. Wonder how Banfield would go playing on Stewart.
I think he’s a perfect match up for Stewart. Enough of an attacking threat in his own right to keep Stewart accountable while being a very adept negator himself when required.

When he first came on the scene several years back I liked the look of him. Bit unpolished but up for the contest and with some handy goals.

He seemed to ebb from favour under Lyon. His confidence and form dipped (others can correct me on sequence) and he looked like a dog in the pound that can't attract an owner. I was sad to think this likeable and once-promising player was heading for scrap.

I'm hoping JL persists as I think a settled home would benefit him - and Freo - greatly.

Playing the high half forward role in a crap team is a tough gig. The ball movement up the ground is usually slow & poor & inside 50 entries are usually shallow & predictable.
We saw with his first goal on the weekend that quicker ball movement on an earlier turnover gives you space in the forward & he was able to push back into the 50 for the receive.
He’ll have to work a bit harder against quality defensive structures, but he’s going to get more opportunities than in previous years because of our better ball movement through the middle.

The guy has got serious talent, he always has. Going from a great tagger to improving his half forward game. If he gets dropped when Sturt comes in next year we've got a good depth replacement for him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back