Certified Legendary Thread The Official Bigfooty 2017 NBA Western Conference Playoffs Thread. Vale Portland, OKC, Memphis

Do you want a poll?

• Yes

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • No

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Yes but only if Priceys Mum posts pics

Votes: 22 71.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Western_Conference_%28NBA%29_logo.gif

nba-playoffs-logo.jpg

nba-playoff-bracketjpg_h2qme3g321sg1huo7qpl2l9y5.jpg

Welcome to the Western Conference Playoffs Thread.
In antiquated times, the Gods declared "West is Best". Centuries later, John West took it upon himself to give the ones he rejects a new body, that was to become the eastern conference.

Here we are....matchups locked in, each with eerie similarities in participants.

Warriors and Blazers. Dame has predicted a Blazer advancement in 6. But can this happen after GS take a 3-1 lead?
Spurs and the Grizz, grind it down, big men banging with x-factors on both sides.
Clippers and Utah. Both have unlikable players. Actually only the Clips do.
Rockets and OKC. Battle of the MVP candidates (or as some here have called them, stat chasers)

Thread is open to posters NOW. The pride of Bigfooty will shine again as the spotlight is focused on our knowledgeable, well informed, articulate architects of the virtual hardwood to bring critically acclaimed series previews. But before these posters arrive, please welcome kozi01 .....

Last edited:
Golden State vs Portland Trailblazers

Villains. Traitors. Dick kickers. Just some of the colloquial terms used to describe the much maligned best team of the National Basketball Association. Fans from around the world lay in wait, twitter accounts poised, sniffing the air for any sign this "superteam" will fall at any stage before the finals.

With U.S-Russia tensions simmering, many are considering the possibility of World War 3 in the distant/not too distant future. As for the actual trigger of an apocalyptic endgame scenario, well it may just be the skinny 6"3 point guard out of Davidson winning his 3rd consecutive MVP over the more deserving Westbrook or Harden. I fear for the safety of Golden State fans and bandwagoners alike if this (unlikely) circumstance comes to fruition.

stephen-curry-800-1.jpg

Alas. The "big 4" has been a nice distraction from the real smoking gun in the Golden State arsenal.

Ja_Vale_Mc_Gee_2.jpg

Averaging 3 boards, 6 points, 0.9 blocks and 0 DK's (dick kicks) per game, it's fair to say the NBA title returning to Oakland CA rests squarely on the narrow shoulders of the "Shaqtin' a fool" star budget center JaValee McGee. If Steve Kerr has any aspirations of retaining his tenure past this season, he'll wake up to the reality that this reincarnate of Mutombo needs to be unleashed as a starter ahead of the over sized paperweight Jaja Pajulia. The future of basketball on the West coast may well depend on it.

e073bc52797a2770af5c2639e4fa4130.jpg

I have it on good authority the night before KD saw the light and decided to join the Warriors, he did make a call to the mobile phone of one Russell Westbrook. Unfortunately he was at the Reject Shop trying on new shirts at the time and missed the call. Your fault, Russ.

kicks25s-1-web.jpg

Also on good authority, my mail is that Draymond has his sights set on upgrading his title from biggest flog in the NBA to biggest flog in pro sport. He is currently somewhere in the Himalayan alps undertaking a Kung Fu kicking masterclass. Under the guidance of Sensei Hit Dong Ding, his skills in preparation for the business end of the season are being sharpened.

And for no reason, here is Klay's new girlfriend

5197075-sachelamonte-nappyafro-5.jpg

I'm unsure as to how one goes about reversing the Kardashian curse that Klay subjected the whole franchise to after his secret fling with Kim Kardashian. But maybe this stripper/NFL cheerleader out of Long Island holds the key.

--

Ok so I've just been reminded that this was meant to be a Golden State vs Portland first round preview, thus here comes the most half assed preview since the invention of previews.

With the Trailblazers having already booked their earlybird discount vacations for the morning after Game 4, it's difficult to envisage anything other than Golden State progressing to the 2nd round. However, whilst it's largely a backcourt battle of the Splash Bros v the Splash Babies, stranger things have happened. The Blazers can get hot in a hurry and aren't to be slept on. The Warriors will need to be on their game and maintain a higher level of defence than what we've witnessed for long stretches in the regular season. The series will most likely be decided in the backcourt, however one would think the Blazers dominating the glass and paint points is a prerequisite for having any chance. A combination of that and Lillard/CJ playing out of their skins sees them with a shot. However, realistically it's difficult to see the Blazers keeping up the scoring across 7 games with the offensive juggernaut that is the Warriors. However, like I said, stranger things have happened.

http://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/i...trail_blazers_looking_to_shock_the_world.html

The mentality Portland are coming in with can't be faulted. They essentially have a free swing, so why not use the no pressure nothing to lose mantra to their advantage. I certainly would be. Will be interesting to see if this changes towards the end of the series if it goes to game 6 or 7.

With the Warriors short priced favorites, a shrewd piece of business advice would be to take out a loan against the house (remember to gamble responsibly). Alternately, if you like to fly by the seat of your pants, I'd recommend the Primetime Pricey special of Golden State first quarter in game one. (Note: whichever side pricey punts on simply pick the opposite and profit. Check betting thread for further updates).

Possible matchups:

Steph v Dame
Klay v CJ (Klay will defend Lillard for the most part)
KD v Harkless
Draymond v Vonleh
Zaza v Nurkik

Prediction: Dubs in 5

Last edited:

I'll do the Eastern Conference thread tomorrow peternorth

Are you still happy to do Rockets/Thunder Gak Attack ?

If anyone fancies a stab at any of the series aside from Rockets/Thunder, Dubs/Blazers and Celtics/Bulls just quote this post or PM me.

If anyone fancies a stab at any of the series aside from Rockets/Thunder, Dubs/Blazers and Celtics/Bulls just quote this post or PM me.

Will do today some stage.

Thanks mate.

Let me know when done and Ill sticky it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

3 Houston Rockets
i
v 6 Oklahoma City Thunder
i

April 16 – OKC @ Houston
April 19 – OKC @ Houston
April 21 - Houston @ OKC
April 23 - Houston @ OKC
April 25 – OKC @ Houston *
April 27 – Houston @ OKC *
April 29 – OKC @ Houston *

The battle of the MVP candidates or the MVSC's in some minds. Going into the season one had a s**t supporting cast and the others was decent, somehow this narrative has changed over the course of the season. Lots of questions to be asked....Will Russ concern himself less about rebounds and more about winning and defence now it is playoff time? Will James Harden actually play defence now it is playoff time? Will the MDA system fail yet again at the business end? Will Gordon and Williams get out of their shooting slumps? Will Kanter and Adams realise they have a massive advantage inside? Will Pat Beverley be accused of murder? Will Houston be the cause of further melts and thread derailments?

juegos-olimpicos-rio-2016-2218147w620.jpg

Season series – Houston 3-1
Houston 103 @ OKC 105
Houston 102
@ OKC 99
OKC 116 @ Houston 118
OKC 125 @ Houston 137

Four keys to the series:

1 Russell Westbrook v Pat Beverley

russmad_medium.gif

Two of the most intense guys in the NBA going at it for possibly seven games, should be fun and oh there's that little bit of history. Westbrook has certainly had the better of this match-up in recent times but it will once again be key. It would seem most likely that Houston will once again employ the approach of shut down the rest and let Russ chuck which means a lack of double teams and limited rim protection when Westbrook is able to get by Beverley, making Beverley's on-ball defense key. Going the other way Beverley has shot the three well of late, in the last game between the sides Westbrook's lack of contesting the three ball was one of the main reasons Houston got up big early, you'd have to imagine Houston would much prefer to see Westbrook looking for rebounds over defending but I get the feeling Westbrook will take a different approach in this series.

2 OKC dominance inside
1_adams_kanter_turkey_lm_151114.jpg

This has not really been evident in the series match-up but for OKC to advance they have to make the most of their inside presence. Houston is average at best at defending the paint and with the likes of Adams, Kanter and Gibson OKC should have a big advantage both scoring and on the boards, something that has not been shown previously. Nene is likely to have a larger role in the playoffs with likely a 50/50 split with Capela who can be a little soft on the boards and post defending.

3 Houston hitting and OKC stopping the three ball
hi-res-9ee055d59065ed933e0591f88a537fd7_crop_north.jpg

One glaring thing to take from the series match-up was how poorly OKC stopped Houston's biggest weapon. The last match-up saw Houston shoot wide open three after wide open three with at times completely no attempt to contest by the Thunder. Houston hasn't been shooting it great of late but if they're given the space they have been previously by the Thunder it is hard to see how they don't win the series.

4 The Houston fourth quarter collapse.
A common theme in the season series was Houston shitting the bed in the last quarter, it cost them the first game after they looked comfortable and nearly cost them the others, even the last game which they dominated for most required the starters back onto the floor as OKC went on a late run. Will the Rockets be this seasons Clippers?

This should be a fun series, Houston put up more than 50 threes in their practice game against the wolfies so it seems this approach won't be changing. You just know for good or bad the headlines will be about Westbrook, while Harden has been fairly quite against the Thunder you'd have to think he will continue to trust his shooters and take over when needed.

My mind says Houston in 6. My heart given the teams I support says choke after being 3-0 up.

Finally, there is no longer a Kardashian curse on Houston and also * Kevin McHale.

Blazers v Warriors

# will the bosnian beast play
images (8).jpg
Golden state beat the blazers probably 4-0 alot will depend on the impact and injury of nurkic in the middle. Its golden states biggest weakness big bodies in the paint Zaza, Javale Mcgee (shaqtin a fool hall of famer) and big westy and mcadoo. None can handle a quality 7 footer but in the west playoffs very few quality ones that can hurt the warriors currently.
If dame and c.j and the crabbe can get hot for a game or two and nurkic is fit this series could possibly go 6 games and have some interest. Draymond green as per usual will be the glue of the warriors defence with unselfish ball movement. Setting picks, screens possibly some leg flailing, flagrant fouls and at least one T. Who takes the big shot Durant or Curry the confusions reigns as durant has been MIA and the warriors played well with steph in the lead as usual.

The durant fitness will be of interest to all who are sick of the dub nation. The word is he will not be 100% all playoffs to win title they need him fit and firing Matt barnes is probably going to leave you wanting as a no.1 peg.

Kerr V stotts

Both offensive minded coaches and we can expect a very competitive courtside battle. Terry can run some great plays and has the talent to execute some late game plays Dame has been here before he made it at the buzzer and c.j is always ready. We know what kerr and the warrior provide already former champions they know what needs to be done !

I will sit on the fence warriors 4-1
In a very close in game series but the warriors have all the talent to take the series easily
unnamed.jpg

Last edited:
Spurs v Grizzlies

images (1).jpg

Welcome to OLDSKOOL bball greg popovichs spurs v the grindhouse grizzlies.

These two teams have met 3 times in the last month with memphis taking 1 and the spurs 2 with the last matchup an overtime thriller. Kahwi had (32) and the grizzlies slamed on 33 in the last qtr to tie the game 84-84 at san antonio. San antonio closed it out 11-5 in OT.

This matchup officially was the slowest pace of the year games wise. We are looking at two veteran teams that both defend extremely well and are old as dirt. I expect this series to go 5 games minimum the spurs are heavily favoured going in holding home court. Injuries to Tony Allen calf who is no guarantee to be back and juicy wiggle himself chandler parsons more than likely take the edge of what could of been a 6 or 7 game thriller.
images (10).jpg

Parker v Conley
Green v ?????? Daniels , Ennis
Kahwi v Carter
Aldridge v J. Green
Dedmond v M.Gasol

Are the starters apologies to anyone i missed any way you spin it this is a tough series Tony parker has been struggling of late and mike conley has been lighting it up. Expect patty mills to log extra minutes at the point and the spurs will need his 3pt shooting.

M.Gasol, Z.Bo v Aldridge, P.Gasol down low on the block this is what playoff basketball is about bigs banging down low and who ever can be most effective and efficient in this battle will go a long way to winning this series.

The grizzlies will frustrate and slow you down and make scoring as hard as possible enter the game changer we know who it is. The best two way player in the NBA a one on one machine when you need a bucket give the ball to kawhi and get out of the way. Vince is a vet and defends well for a 55 year old but they will likely double leonard and get the ball out of his hands so mills, green, manu and lemarcus will need to drain some big 3s and 16 footers.

I think the spurs go 4-1 or 4-2 home court advantage two starters out for the grizzlies popovich will have too many tricks for the fizz and kahwi is the best player on the court the grizzlies really dont have an answer for him. It will be tough physical but in the end the spurs have a little more talent even if they are all middle aged ballers.

images (3).jpg

Last edited:
Thanks mate.

Let me know when done and Ill sticky it

Il'l leave the official breakdowns to the pros i'll put my hand up for a few silly game intro's if thats allowed i'll let you guys get to the grit and grind of the mad stats and cyber metrics !

images (5).jpg

The Jazz V Clippers ( aka c**ke**s)

Sorry my friend is a clippers fan so i can't help myself but have some sly digs. Doc has never led the clippers out of the 2nd round the big three has gone through the routine Cp3 injury and blake griffen injury plague and are healthy again with big D.J in the middle and JJ running off screens. Only two teams have won more games in the last 5 years than the clips with no conference final appearances we remember the rockets. Wow extended spray sorry clip fans!

Vs

Utah Jazz quin synder aka "super villian"
images (6).jpg

The clips finished with the 4 seed and will take home court against the jazz. Who are pace wise the slowest in NBA but make you earn every possession and cut hard to the bucket and are very efficient. George hill v Cp3 huge matchup if the jazz want to win this series george will need to be penetrating the paint and getting good looks inside for his team mates. Cp3 we know what he provides probably best pure pass first point in the nba that can get his points when he wants.

Gobert v Jordan

The spiteful tower the giant rudy gobert the man who shall protect the rim from two hand slams will be extremely important tough matchup with jordan who is very atheltic and similar. They both rebound and protect the rim and can knock down a few lob city passes. But gobert is a huge key for the jazz he needs to dominate for them to be a chance.

Hayward v mbah a moute

Hayward is the jazzs best player and the man asked to take the big shots when the shot clock is winding down under 5. Can hit a 3 and put the ball on the floor and create of the dribble. Will need to be at his all star best while mbah is the clips best defender and will have a hand in his face.

Ingles v reddick

Smoking joe has been shooting well this year from outside and will need to keep knocking them down if the jazz want to progress. JJ is one of the most dangerous shooting guards in the league will come of pin downs, screens and you need to contest a 40% three point shooter. You touch him he's 90% from the charity stripe.

Probable starters

Hill v paul
Ingles v reddick
Hayward v mbah
Diaw v griffen
Gobert v jordan

Depth the jazz strength
J.Johnson, R.Hood, D.Favours could all probably start for the jazz and for the clips Jamal crawford, mr speights , son of doc austin rivers , felton, wes johnson and the sea bass himself will come of the pine. I give the edge to the jazz just because its balanced the clips 2nd unit is very small and the have no wing depth so they are usually playing a guard on the wing and speights in the middle which becomes quite awkward.

Who wins

Austin rivers
images (7).jpg

Doc signed him to a 35 million over 3 contract so simply austin wins.

Serious Chris paul, Griff and JJ are free agents next season i believe this could be the last merry go round on talent the clips should be winning this series in 6. History suggests it is going 7 and a coin flip who wins with no confidence or solid statistical reason i say clippers in 6 griffen attacks the rim gets gobert in some foul trouble as diaw is a bit small and a vet. And griffen edges clips past jazz chris paul is still a star and will manipulate the jazz's slow pace to the clippers advantage.

With no confidence happy days

images (4).jpg

Aussies on display
Ingles and exum
images (9).jpg

Last edited:
Back