The Official BigFooty Boston Celtics Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Irving is ecstatic about potentially coming to Boston, about the possibility of playing for Stevens and being a more integral part of the offense than he was in Cleveland. Irving was visibly unhappy in his final season with the Cavaliers. He wanted out. And after the trade was reported he began to prepare himself for being a leader in Boston.

Privately, Irving felt he could no longer grow under the tutelage of LeBron James, and he felt stifled by Tyronn Lue’s offense and the influence James had on the schemes. Irving felt like he played with a revolving door of players and lineups, and that most certainly would go to a further extreme should James leave the Cavaliers next summer.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/...G5wM/story.html?p1=Article_Recirculation_Pos1

I will like the trade if he actually buys in and basically reinvents himself offensively.

But I'm really having a hard time seeing that happening.

What I did find interesting though is after the Cavs drafted him ESPN talked about him being a good passer. Now obviously ESPN has had some pretty ordinary draft opinions over the years but maybe Kyrie's situation led to him being a hoggy type player?

I will like the trade if he actually buys in and basically reinvents himself offensively.

But I'm really having a hard time seeing that happening.

What I did find interesting though is after the Cavs drafted him ESPN talked about him being a good passer. Now obviously ESPN has had some pretty ordinary draft opinions over the years but maybe Kyrie's situation led to him being a hoggy type player?
I don't think he's ever had a coach like this. Lets face it, for the most part he's been coached by deadshits. He basically set 5 million bucks on fire to get Brad as coach.

It will go one of two ways. He will ignore Brad's message and continue being the same sort of player that he always has been - which is a very good isolation scorer but underwhelming in other areas - or - he could buy in to the way Brad wants to play and the way we want to play and look to create more as well as being an efficient scorer.

I have no doubt he has the ability to be a good passer. 5.8 Assists last year and 5.5 Career isn't exactly a horribly low base and he has the skills to do it. John Wall has shown that with the right team around a point guard, you can give your assist numbers quite a healthy boost year on year. Its not outside the rhelms of possibility that Kyrie can up that part of his game under Stevens aswell as improving his offensive efficiency, which is already pretty good.

With that said, he's never going to be the pick and roll guy Isaiah is. That's just an unfair expectation. Isaiah was god tier at that part of the game.

The biggest thing is the defensive intensity - hopefully Smart can push him on that side of the floor. Again, despite not showing it yet, there is potential for improvement on that side of the ball that Isaiah didn't have.

All-Star guard Isaiah Thomas told ESPN that he has made significant progress with his injured hip toward a return in the 2017-18 season and has a message for NBA teams doubting his long-term prognosis.

"I am not damaged," Thomas told ESPN on Tuesday. "I'll be back, and I'll be the same player."

"There's never been an indication that I wouldn't be back, and there's never been an indication that this is something messing up my career," Thomas told ESPN. "Maybe I am not going to be back as soon this season as everyone wants me to be, but I'm going to be back, and I'm going to be the same player again. No doctor has told me anything different than that."

The fact that Isaiah has had to come out to the media and state his injury status is pretty annoying to me.

If Cleveland proceed with the trade, his value has been dragged through the mud for not a whole lot of reason when he didn't deserve it. I'm not sure how the leaks got out about the physical but they can't be impressed that it did get out.

I hope that he gets whatever medical attention he needs and is able to contribute plenty this year and get that big contract next year.

I have Kyire 1's, they're good to play in but I'm gonna have to expand my budget and buy some lebrons now

Definitely keen to give em a go.. my other basketball shoes are absolutely shot so it'll be nice to have some grip.

I have one the first generations of Lebrons somewhere...antiques roadshow.

One source with direct knowledge of Thomas’ hip condition told The Athletic last week that he is dealing with more than just a tear. Some of those secondary issues in the hip he has played with for years now, such as a loss of cartilage and some arthritis, are complicating his healing process.

“No one has any idea how quickly this will heal or if it even will heal at all,” the source said. “It’s hard to predict.”

Not sure of that guy at NBC's reliability but there are murmurs that this thing needs surgery and a long term layoff. Did danny sell the cavs a lemon?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Everything i've heard (TBH mostly podcasts like WOJ, BS, The Jump et. al.) have all said Thomas's hip is f*&ked, will need surgery and may not play until the playoffs.

Theis looks a good bench player in the making. Seems to bring a decent all round game with plenty of energy. Should earn some minutes in the second unit. Would be a good option as the 5 in small ball line ups.

Like Nader too, can get to the rim and score while also having 3pt range.

Just can't wait for the opening game who else is keen to get the season underway?!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Tatum looking good in pre season can't wait to see him in action for the regular season.

Could've even be a potential starter I don't see Hayward playing at SF but at the 2 guard position.

Works better with spacing in Brad's system than the Baynes/Theis option...The most pleasant surprise so far is how ready he is and the bench to be honest.

Hayward still looks like he has no idea what is going on out there. He's probably had the largest adjustment in terms of system.

It'll be a rocky first 20 games.

yeah definitely will get off to a hard start but i think 55+ wins.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back