The Official Bigfooty NBA 2011-12 off season thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Load of crap. If its worth 5 games, its worth 5 games. Bad luck to the teams they're on. Their individual players shouldnt have been idiots.

You really don't get it do you?

Why does 5 games have any worth to begin with, if it isn't a reflection of how big a portion of the season it removes that player from?

Again, this isn't a matter of opinion. Its a simple matter of logic.

Why does 5 games have any worth to begin with, if it isn't a reflection of how big a portion of the season it removes that player from?

Simple logic for simple people like you and Stern.

It doesn't matter. Bynum smacked a guy and that smack was deemed worth of five games. Having a shortened season shouldn't change anything.

It doesn't matter. Bynum smacked a guy and that smack was deemed worth of five games. Having a shortened season shouldn't change anything.

Exactly.

Charlie V's suspension was also reduced from 5 to 4 even though he'd already served one game prior to the end of last season.

Logically he should still serve a five game suspension for his pathetic act, the season length should be irrelevant.

Simple logic for simple people like you and Stern.

Something is either logical or it isn't. For example, my argument is logical, yours isn't.

I'd wager both Stern and I are far more intelligent than you. You've proven as much already.

But why was it worth five games? Because the penalty of five games is relative to the length of the season.

I can't believe there are so many dumbarses here who can't see how simple this really is.

Logically he should still serve a five game suspension for his pathetic act, the season length should be irrelevant.

If the length of the season has no relevance to the length of the suspension, they couldn't possibly arrive at an initial penalty that made sense.

Its only by having a penalty relevant to the length of the season that it matters at all.

Otherwise they'd just be choosing random numbers of games for each penalty, as there'd be no starting point for how severe the penalty should be (that starting point being, how big a percentage of the season that player should miss).

So if he did it at the end of the regular season it would have been a2 match suspension?
Playoffs must give a discount too

Another person completely incapable of understanding it.

Congratulations, you're in illustrious company.

The amount of techs allowed for the season has been reduced from 16 to 13 before an automatic suspension.

I suppose that's rigged/travesty/pathetic/<insert overly emotive and insufficiently logical description> too?

Another person completely incapable of understanding it.

Congratulations, you're in illustrious company.

The amount of techs allowed for the season has been reduced from 16 to 13 before an automatic suspension.

I suppose that's rigged/travesty/pathetic/<insert overly emotive and insufficiently logical description> too?

You seem like a top bloke, i'd love to sit and have a beer with you.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But shouldn't the size of the suspension be the percentage of the season that the actual act was in.

So he hit J.J.Barea in an 82 game season, therefore his suspension should be what it is 5 matches. Regardless of if the next season is reduced or not. He didn't do the act in a reduced season.

Its not like the league change how many games are in each season from year to year. They expect every season to be 82 games, therefore they base suspensions on an 82 game season.

He earned it based on a calculation of an expected 82 game season, ergo, when the season was reduced by reasons outside of anyone's control, the penalty gets reduced as its taking place in that season.

Its not like the league change how many games are in each season from year to year. They expect every season to be 82 games, therefore they base suspensions on an 82 game season.

He earned it based on a calculation of an expected 82 game season, ergo, when the season was reduced by reasons outside of anyone's control, the penalty gets reduced as its taking place in that season.

So another example, from what you have said, is that if Bynum killed a person and was sentenced to 25 years (min) because at the time that was the sentence for the crime.

If the courts then changed the minimum for murder to 15 years they would go back and sentence Bynum to the 15 not 25...

It makes absolutely no sense.

He did the crime, he needs to do the time. Regardless of if the next season is shortened or not. It really is that simple.

So should Villanueva actually be serving 3.2 games this season? He already served 1 game last season in an 82-game season, so his 4 remaining games should be adjusted for the 66-game season (instead of the whole 5 games being adjusted to 4) = 0.8*no. games to be served in the 66-game season... Or am I taking logic and math too far here?

So another example, from what you have said, is that if Bynum killed a person and was sentenced to 25 years (min) because at the time that was the sentence for the crime.

If the courts then changed the minimum for murder to 15 years they would go back and sentence Bynum to the 15 not 25...

He did the crime, he needs to do the time. Regardless of if the next season is shortened or not. It really is that simple.
And what if life expectancy decreased after he had been sentenced? Does that mean the 25 year sentence would be reduced by the same percentage as life expectancy reduced?

i.e.
- Sentenced to 25 years.
- Life expectancy for the population drops from 80 years to 79.2 years (1%)
- Should they reduce sentences for prisoners by 1% (in this case, reduce by 3 months) because life expectancy for all people has decreased?

You're right, your analogy doesn't make any sense. But that's cause its a horrible analogy.

The way we sentence criminals in court is completely different to an arbitrary suspension imposed by a sporting league. The rationale behind using years vs games, is completely different.

Look, I give up - I've made it as obvious as I can, explained it to the best of my ability and (most) of you blokes just don't get it.

Thanks Andrew Bolt.

Lovely use of emotive language, and your own spin on "he needs to do this because I say so because I'm incapable of understanding how things actually work".

Wonder why nobody in the league is complaining? Because its patently obvious WHY the suspension has been reduced.

And what if life expectancy decreased after he had been sentenced? Does that mean the 25 year sentence would be reduced by the same percentage as life expectancy reduced?

i.e.
- Sentenced to 25 years.
- Life expectancy for the population drops from 80 years to 79.2 years (1%)
- Should they reduce sentences for prisoners by 1% (in this case, reduce by 3 months) because life expectancy for all people has decreased?

We don't sentence people for a certain amount of years as a percentage of the life they have left. We sentence them within a maximum and minimum amount of years based on the severity of the crime and precedent.

Again, horrible analogy, made by horrible people with horrible brains.

I'm done with it. You'll go through life not understanding just how dumb you are, and for that I am jealous.

Can't see it because he is wrong and completely ignored my question. The playoffs are shorter so would his suspension have been shorter if he did it at the end of the regular season?
The answer is of course NO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back