The Official Bigfooty NBA Week 12 Thread. Move over lob city, we have plob city!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So why not just keep him instead of giving him 63 million $US to not play for the pistons?

They are tanking next season anyway

He'd had value as an expiring contract next season too
He was untradeable

May have not been a good presence in the locker room, and playing him over the kids wasn't going to help their development

He was untradeable

May have not been a good presence in the locker room, and playing him over the kids wasn't going to help their development

They didn't have to play him...

He may look less cooked , more dynamic/athletic playing 10-12 min off then bench in a good team instead of 30+ as the number one option..

Nets medicos pretty top notch what what I hear too

So did Rashard Lewis
And Joakim Noah
And Grant Hill
And Penny Hardaway
And Vin Baker
And Ben Wallace
And Stephon Marbury
And Allan Houstom
Oh and Sean Kemp

How many of them earnt $60m over their entire career?
BG gettin that in the next 2 years not to play for Detroit.

How many of them earnt $60m over their entire career?
BG gettin that in the next 2 years not to play for Detroit.

I mean if you look at % of the cap they are pretty similar

Shawn Kemp signed a 7/102 million deal in 1997, salary cap at the start of that deal was 42M - 38% or so
Vin Baker 7/86 in a 46M cap
Grant Hill took 25% of the cap in 2004
Ben Wallace was around 25% of the cap for 3 years
Marbury 18M in a time the cap was 65M or so

Letourneau] according to a team source, the Warriors “almost definitely” wouldn’t surrender that Timberwolves selection or Wiseman unless they got back someone generational such as Joel Embiid or Giannis Antetokounmpo.

Sounds like the dubs might be cooked then...

Curry.
Klay. (injury?).
Wiggins.
Green.
Wiseman.
+ Wolves pick

Looks good but don't know if the timelines will match up?

They wouldn't get Giannis for curry and probably not embiid.

Best Wiseman / wolves pick would be Vuc imho.

Minni wouldn't do kat even it's a pretty good trade - to get their own draft pick back...

They didn't have to play him...

He may look less cooked , more dynamic/athletic playing 10-12 min off then bench in a good team instead of 30+ as the number one option..

They tried to get him into shape and give him a chance at establishing some kind of minimal trade value. It didn't work.

Remember he barely played last season either.

Cavs might keep him...

Do the right thing by Drummond and trade nance.

Why in the world would the Cavs trade Nance?

And why would they do anything for Drummond, other than buy out his contract?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They tried to get him into shape and give him a chance at establishing some kind of minimal trade value. It didn't work.

Remember he barely played last season either.

Why in the world would the Cavs trade Nance?

And why would they do anything for Drummond, other than buy out his contract?

There are rumours nance is up for trade and drummond may get bought out.

There are rumours nance is up for trade and drummond may get bought out.

Oh I see, you didn't word your original post very well at all.

Drummond getting bought out is a likelihood rather than a mere rumour. They may trade Nance, but I'm not sure any contending team would pay the price required to land him.

The next player to opt out of $40 million guaranteed for a minimum contract will be the first.

Was never, ever going to happen.
That's my point. This deal means he essentially gets to opt out and still get 25 million next year. It just highlights how ridiculous the NBA can be.

Letourneau] according to a team source, the Warriors “almost definitely” wouldn’t surrender that Timberwolves selection or Wiseman unless they got back someone generational such as Joel Embiid or Giannis Antetokounmpo.

Sounds like the dubs might be cooked then...

Curry.
Klay. (injury?).
Wiggins.
Green.
Wiseman.
+ Wolves pick

Looks good but don't know if the timelines will match up?

They wouldn't get Giannis for curry and probably not embiid.

Best Wiseman / wolves pick would be Vuc imho.

Minni wouldn't do kat even it's a pretty good trade - to get their own draft pick back...

Can see the Warriors flipping Oubre for Oladipo if the latter agrees. He has been obviously heavily linked with Miami.

No chance Warriors give up Wiseman for Vuc.

Wiggins has done enough to stay put with Oubre the likely to be dealt before trade deadline.

Hence it'd be unlikely they get rid of mcgee.

Bad luck lakers

They can trade him, and they probably will.

Someone will cough up at least a 2nd round pick.

That's my point. This deal means he essentially gets to opt out and still get 25 million next year. It just highlights how ridiculous the NBA can be.

It's not an ordinary profession though.

You or I can get a job offer with a different company for more money and take it without recrimination. An NBA contract is much more ironclad, with all the positives and negatives that entails. NBA contracts cannot be broken without the express concession of both sides, which means that in a situation where both team and player want to move on, and a trade is impossible, they'll inevitably haggle on a buyout price.

Griffin gave up roughly 20% of what he was owed. In the real world that doesn't seem that much, but in the NBA that's about the market rate, especially for a contract that large. Some Pistons fans were worried that he'd demand much closer to the full amount. Most now seem more relieved that the Pistons didn't stretch the money out over the next five years rather than angry about paying so much dead money for next season.

The essential point is that Griffin didn't opt out, he opted in - as he was always going to. What happened thereafter was a mutual decision.

I mean if you look at % of the cap they are pretty similar

Shawn Kemp signed a 7/102 million deal in 1997, salary cap at the start of that deal was 42M - 38% or so
Vin Baker 7/86 in a 46M cap
Grant Hill took 25% of the cap in 2004
Ben Wallace was around 25% of the cap for 3 years
Marbury 18M in a time the cap was 65M or so

I get time value of money and inflation mate, Ive got a finance degree.

Just saying the pure dollar value. Considering the Max has gone from like 20m to 50m in about 10 years, the figures are mindblowing.

Also considering regular persons wages have gone up around 2% per year in that same 10 years (or 20% before compounding), whereas NBA salaries at the top level have gone up around 250%

I get time value of money and inflation mate, Ive got a finance degree.

Just saying the pure dollar value. Considering the Max has gone from like 20m to 50m in about 10 years, the figures are mindblowing.

Also considering regular persons wages have gone up around 2% per year in that same 10 years (or 20% before compounding), whereas NBA salaries at the top level have gone up around 250%
Since we are swinging dicks that's Dr Stew to you

What's it done to the price of bread tho

Last edited:
Victor Oladipo and the Warriors have expressed interest in each other. The Warriors would like another ball handler to drive the second unit. In order for this to occur, on face value the rockets will want a young stud. Kelly Oubre may fit that mould and in addition his contact shall be attractive

I'd rather Oubre.

Oladipo is cooked.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back