Play Nice The Official Bigfooty NBA Week 16 thread

John Collins shooting 12% better than Dirk in their sophomore seasons.

He’s going to be great. Very impressed with his effort particularly on night 2 of a B2B.

Sep 9, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
They're really not.

Grant Napear is not that well liked in Sacramento for his off-commentary persona, but he's pretty much universally acknowledged as calling a fair game.

Napear/Reynolds has been consistently one of the top 10 team broadcasts for the last 20 years. Nothing like Heinshohn.

Then they had a really off night.

nufan

Norm Smith Medallist
May 4, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Pelicans, Tottenham
You'd have a valid point if we had traded Markkanen for Ntilikina, but that never happened.

I'm quite happy with Markkanen/WCJ/LaVine and our pick this year opposed to the Knicks cap space and crap.
To trade for Davis after we find out if you get a top 3 pick?

I'll say it, this draft is top 4 maybe 5 heavy. But the top 3 very juicy

nufan

Norm Smith Medallist
May 4, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Pelicans, Tottenham
Perhaps.

But there are several infamously poor commentary teams, and they're not one of them.
Yes there is.
The best in my books are:
Sacto
Knicks: I will post and toast with Breen And Clyde everyday and twice on Sundays
Minny
LAC:
Davis wants LA.

We will hopefully draft Zion to go with the other 3 and if we don't get the 1st pick then I want Ja Morant.
I don't give a s**t what Davis wants.

Morant is impressive, no doubt but he isn't really playing anyone. I need him in the tournament.

Reddish is my guy, he is so good.
(Obviously after Zion, I can't be a contraction)

Jun 23, 2008
Headed for Kirribilli House
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red Wings
Why single him out? Most of the Lakers team are putrid from the foul line. It has cost them games this season. The coach doesn't even know if they're practicing from the stripe, so they're probably not.

well it is the WORST % in the NBA so theres that...

Why single him out? Because he's shooting 42 percent from the FT line.

He averaging a whopping 1 free throw attempt per game (48 attempts from 47 games) so far this season. Him shooting the percentage he does vs. him shooting an average percentage is costing him maybe 0.6-0.7 points per game. Hardly mindblowing.

Jul 14, 2007
Melbourne, Victoria
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
He averaging a whopping 1 free throw attempt per game (48 attempts from 47 games) so far this season. Him shooting the percentage he does vs. him shooting an average percentage is costing him maybe 0.6-0.7 points per game. Hardly mindblowing.

It's mind-blowing that given he can't shoot he only shoots one free throw a game, so he can't shoot nor drive.

Jun 23, 2008
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
It's mind-blowing that given he can't shoot he only shoots one free throw a game, so he can't shoot nor drive.

Lucky he's still young and probably 3-4 years away from even entering his prime, and has plenty of time and resources available to improve his shooting to a serviceable level, eh? If Ason Kidd (who was still in college at the same age) can do it, Lonzo can too.

As a general comment, why does this expectation seem to exist that Lonzo should somehow be the finished product already, and that by not being so, it's somehow shocking or disappointing, and that time is running out for him?

Jul 14, 2007
Melbourne, Victoria
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Lucky he's still young and probably 3-4 years away from even entering his prime, and has plenty of time and resources available to improve his shooting to a serviceable level, eh? If Ason Kidd (who was still in college at the same age) can do it, Lonzo can too.

As a general comment, why does this expectation seem to exist that Lonzo should somehow be the finished product already, and that by not being so, it's somehow shocking or disappointing, and that time is running out for him?

Massive difference between Jason Kidd's shooting form and Lonzo's shooting form.

Nobody said he was a finished product but to be as absolutely offensively putrid as he is currently is worrisome.

Jun 23, 2008
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Massive difference between Jason Kidd's shooting form and Lonzo's shooting form.

Obviously the form isn't good, but I think his issue is shot selection as much as anything else.

A comparison between Ball, Kidd, and Ricky Rubio (another similar type) at the same age is interesting. Their numbers are pretty similar, with Ball possibly even having a slight edge in terms of turning the ball over less, as a rebounder, and an all-round defender.

The glaring difference though is where they take their shots, and how often they get to the line (3PA rate and FT rate). Ball takes more than half his shots from downtown, and very rarely gets to the line. Why? Is it a product of coaching and gameplan, is he "hiding" somehow (avoiding contact, being soft and passive), or is he just not playing to his strengths?

Nobody said he was a finished product but to be as absolutely offensively putrid as he is currently is worrisome.

It moreso comes from the media than people here, but there seems to be this urgency somehow for him to be good. Is it just because it's the Lakers? Is it because of his father's hype job? Is it because they essentially gave up D'Angelo Russell (who is showing out nicely in Brooklyn, and is only 18 months older) to get him?

nufan

Norm Smith Medallist
May 4, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Pelicans, Tottenham
This trade deadline will easily go down as the most important in history.

And yes the warriors are 95% winning this year.

What teams are mortgaging for short term windows (Toronto) short to mid (Philly)
Flat out gambling (Lakers, Knicks)
Making well balanced trades (Kings, Dallas)

So many moving cogs after this that legitimately shape the next 2 to 6 years of the league.
Amazing

Obviously the form isn't good, but I think his issue is shot selection as much as anything else.

A comparison between Ball, Kidd, and Ricky Rubio (another similar type) at the same age is interesting. Their numbers are pretty similar, with Ball possibly even having a slight edge in terms of turning the ball over less, as a rebounder, and an all-round defender.

The glaring difference though is where they take their shots, and how often they get to the line (3PA rate and FT rate). Ball takes more than half his shots from downtown, and very rarely gets to the line. Why? Is it a product of coaching and gameplan, is he "hiding" somehow (avoiding contact, being soft and passive), or is he just not playing to his strengths?

It moreso comes from the media than people here, but there seems to be this urgency somehow for him to be good. Is it just because it's the Lakers? Is it because of his father's hype job? Is it because they essentially gave up D'Angelo Russell (who is showing out nicely in Brooklyn, and is only 18 months older) to get him?

You need to factor in the importance of the 3 point shot in the modern game. If you’re a guard who can’t shoot mid 30’s from 3, you better be exceptional at other aspects of the game, otherwise you’ll have a short career.

Jun 23, 2008
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
You need to factor in the importance of the 3 point shot in the modern game. If you’re a guard who can’t shoot mid 30’s from 3, you better be exceptional at other aspects of the game, otherwise you’ll have a short career.

True, but why is Ball persisting with shooting threes when he's clearly not good at it? However much a part of today's basketball it is, there's a point where you realise it's just not working and try a different approach, surely.

Back