The Official Bigfooty NBA Week 19 Thread (post NBA All Star weekend)

He doesn't deserve anything good as long as he keeps wearing that stupid bandanna.
Well Wes Matthews dressed as a samurai warrior and ended up on the Pacers so you don’t always get what you should

May 23, 2012
Smoothie King Central
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, New Orleans Pels
He doesn't deserve anything good as long as he keeps wearing that stupid bandanna.

Just trying to get noticed. Probably should grow a beard or something instead.

Good to see Rudy get some love as well.

Amazing to think that Jamaal Magloire and Kevin Duckworth can be an All-stars and yet he can't. Hell, even DeAndre Jordan has more all-star appearances.

May 9, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
I still find it astounding that Jrue Holiday was barely even considered an All-star snub.

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2019/2/18/18228916/top-25-nba-players-first-60ish-games

He's been great this year and it's hard to believe he's never been an All-Star.

Being a guard is tough in the WC. With Lillard, Curry and Harden being automatic selections, it only leaves one or two spots. Westbrook's triple double stats (and the fact his team is good), will always get attention and Thompson being on the best team in the West and putting up 20+ points makes it hard not to select him. I would have been fine with Jrue making it over Thompson, but I would be surprised if there are many times in the history of the league a 20+ point per game scorer from the best team in the conference didn't make the All Star team.

It's going to be tough for him as a guard in the West. I remember when Lillard missed out when he was scoring 27ppg a couple of years back. And defense isn't sexy when it comes to All Star selection (just ask Rudy!).

Agree with this.

In Stein’s view, the league’s stance that the Pelicans would be hurting the ticket-buying public by holding Davis out of action rings hollow, since fans in New Orleans recognize that the All-Star big man no longer wants to be there. Forcing the Pelicans to play him against their will is making an uncomfortable situation even more toxic, Stein argues.

May 9, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Agree with this.

In Stein’s view, the league’s stance that the Pelicans would be hurting the ticket-buying public by holding Davis out of action rings hollow, since fans in New Orleans recognize that the All-Star big man no longer wants to be there. Forcing the Pelicans to play him against their will is making an uncomfortable situation even more toxic, Stein argues.

This is also looking at it from one side re: buying tickets.

You'd be pretty pissed if you had bought a ticket to watch him play in (say) Sacramento, and he was sitting when he's perfectly healthy.

Jul 14, 2007
Melbourne, Victoria
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
This is also looking at it from one side re: buying tickets.

You'd be pretty pissed if you had bought a ticket to watch him play in (say) Sacramento, and he was sitting when he's perfectly healthy.
It's not the Pelicans job to appease the fans of another city.

Telling a team to play certain players is disgraceful, these teams should be allowed to run their teams as they see fit.

May 9, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
It's not the Pelicans job to appease the fans of another city.

Telling a team to play certain players is disgraceful, these teams should be allowed to run their teams as they see fit.

But it is their job to compete. There's even rules about it. You're basically saying you think tanking is okay. And not just tanking, but blatant tanking.

By your rules, the Knicks could play none of their roster. They could just get the Bigfooty crew out there to play.

Now, to be fair, we could probably do better than the Knicks current roster...

But it is their job to compete. There's even rules about it. You're basically saying you think tanking is okay. And not just tanking, but blatant tanking.

By your rules, the Knicks could play none of their roster. They could just get the Bigfooty crew out there to play.

And it’s quite easy to suggest that they are more competitive without Davis given he doesn’t want to play for them any longer.

May 9, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
And it’s quite easy to suggest that they are more competitive without Davis given he doesn’t want to play for them any longer.

maybe.

And like I said in the opening, it's a spot where there really is no good end result.

But, it's hard to believe that even a 75% AD isn't better than 0% AD. I mean the Pels are +18 when AD is on the court and -43 when he is off the court in the 4 games since he came back. I realize #lolSampleSize , but still AD is a stud, committed or not.

Jul 14, 2007
Melbourne, Victoria
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls

By not playing AD who doesn't want to be there they give a chance to another player who might not have got the chance to play.

Davis isn't in their future so why should they have to risk playing an already injury prone Davis instead of another player they want to look at? If AD gets seriously injured then he loses value.

May 9, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
By not playing AD who doesn't want to be there they give a chance to another player who might not have got the chance to play.

Davis isn't in their future so why should they have to risk playing an already injury prone Davis instead of another player they want to look at? If AD gets seriously injured then he loses value.

Nothing you say is wrong and I don't disagree with it in anyway (or what others have said).

But I want to see players play if fit (I know, crazy right). The NBA is an entertainment industry that generates billions of dollars per year almost exclusively from having star players (The top 10% of players are probably behind 80% of the income).

If next year the Warriors suck and Steph said he wanted to be traded at the end of the year, as a fan, I'd still want to watch him play to the bitter end. My team would be paying him money, so I want to see him perform.

If he got injured, it would suck no doubt. But he could John Wall it and hurt himself if he wasn't playing anyway! :p

Maybe if AD said "Don't worry about paying me", I'd think differently.

May 23, 2012
Smoothie King Central
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
He's been great this year and it's hard to believe he's never been an All-Star.

Being a guard is tough in the WC. With Lillard, Curry and Harden being automatic selections, it only leaves one or two spots. Westbrook's triple double stats (and the fact his team is good), will always get attention and Thompson being on the best team in the West and putting up 20+ points makes it hard not to select him. I would have been fine with Jrue making it over Thompson, but I would be surprised if there are many times in the history of the league a 20+ point per game scorer from the best team in the conference didn't make the All Star team.

It's going to be tough for him as a guard in the West. I remember when Lillard missed out when he was scoring 27ppg a couple of years back. And defense isn't sexy when it comes to All Star selection (just ask Rudy!).

He actually was an All-star once... in Philly <insert Eastern conference joke here>

Tbh I think Klay got voted in on name recognition more than anything, as he was conspicuously struggling for a while. But it's more the 'perception' thing that surprises me, ie barely any media outlets even point out that he (Jrue) was unlucky not to make it. It sorta ties into the way the AD/Pels narrative too, in that it's always implied that he is saddled with sub-par teammates.

It's usually written up as "the gap between Davis and the next best player in New Orleans is huge", or "Holiday is a pretty good player, but...". As the Ringer article mentioned, statistically Jrue has actually been more important than AD over the last two years. Last year we were +12 points per 100 better off when Jrue was on court. This year we're +15. Those numbers are not just "pretty good", they're elite.

This is all academic really, but it becomes important if we decide to completely rebuild and Jrue comes on the market. Kawhi and Paul George are the best two way wings in the league, but you could probably flip a coin between Jrue and Butler as to who comes next. The more astute teams should be well aware of this, if and when he becomes available.

May 23, 2012
Smoothie King Central
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams

Pretty much this.

Davis missed 9 consecutive games before his trade request. We went 3-6 in those nine games, and among those six losses were games against the Thunder (6 points), Nuggets (6 points), Spurs (5 points) and Pacers (2 points).

General consensus was that our effort level was more consistent during that nine game stretch than at any other point during the season. Guys like Okafor and Kenrich Williams started playing more, and playing well.

On our current trajectory (26-33), we'd be on track to finish with 36 wins. If Davis doesn't play, maybe we finish with 32-33 wins. Statistically it's really not going to make much of a difference whether he does or does not play. On court and off court though, it's certain that fans, players and ownership would be much better off if he did not play. Nobody enjoys seeing a team going through the motions in a defunct relationship, it's unhealthy. The atmosphere at games is already tangibly poisoned.

Meanwhile he's already injured again. Chances were he would have missed at least five of the remaining 23 games already. Sitting him for 18 games is hardly standing league protocol on its head. After all, Kawhi was allowed to sit out the entire season when the Spurs' medical staff had cleared him to play.

May 23, 2012
Smoothie King Central
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
If next year the Warriors suck and Steph said he wanted to be traded at the end of the year, as a fan, I'd still want to watch him play to the bitter end. My team would be paying him money, so I want to see him perform..

The difference in this scenario is that you've just seen the Dubs win (probably) four championships and five conference titles in five years. Nobody would begrudge Steph a farewell tour if the Warriors' fortunes took a dramatic fall.

On the other hand, our entire future rests upon how we handle the Davis trade. And when I say entire future, that may encompass the future of professional basketball in New Orleans. We cannot afford an(other) Achilles injury, or a broken leg or whatever, we have no margin for error any more.

Back