The official Bigfooty NBA Week 5 thread (Where Carmelo makes his comeback)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never said it was a great game for him. Making a point I knew the nuffies would still be critical after a good win and surprise surprise.

Anyways, well fought by the team. I'd rather watch Harden jack shots than watch tanking any day.

The guy is averaging 39.5 ppg and carrying a team currently riddled with injuries and is STILL only getting hate.

Unreal.

The guy is averaging 39.5 ppg and carrying a team currently riddled with injuries and is STILL only getting hate.

Unreal.
How is it unreal that a player who squibs and flops like a fish and consistently fails in April and May isn't a lightning rod for opposition ire?

Nic Batum - $25,565,217 salary, 40 minutes played over 2 games this year
Bismack Biyombo - $17,000,000 salary, averaging 12.1 minutes per game over 11 games this year
Michael Kidd-Gilchrist - $13,000,000 salary, 10 minutes played in 1 game this year

The Hornets are spending literally half the cap on guys who aren't in or are barely in their rotation!

You can even extend that further when you consider the $15,006,250 they're playing for 18.5 mpg of Marvin Williams.

Nearly 65% of the cap on 4 guys, none of whom are among the top 7 in minutes per game for your team!

To be fair, they're all expiring deals (although Batum has a $27M player option for next year, which I doubt he'd turn down), but still, a lot of outlay for not a lot of return. Should the Hornets be giving these guys more minutes, even if only to showcase them for a trade? Would they be useful pieces for other teams? Will the Hornets be a big player in the FA market, with the cap room they'll have at the end of the year? And what the hell happened to 'the next Scottie Pippen' MKG?

Batum got injured in the first game of the season and played his first game back last night. He will get 30+ minutes a night.

MKG has lost all his confidence tbh. He started out as a great defender that needed to work on his jumpshot then got a bunch of shoulder injuries a few years in a row. His shot has looked even worse since and last year his D wasn't as good as it had been. He had a PO which he opted into this year knowing his PT would not be much because we're playing the young guys instead. The couple of times he has got minutes this year he hasn't looked good. He's expiring so we'll likely try to move him before the deadline.

Marv's minutes haven't been huge but hes been a big part of the reason we've been in a position to win the last couple of games. He's been huge in helping develop the young guys too.

Biz is playing backup C but fouls a lot, if he could cut down on the fouls and be more reliable catching the ball in the paint he'd get more minutes. I'd prefer him at C over Zeller coz Cody is pretty soft around the rim for a guy his size. Biz has brick hands though. JB likes playing small ball lineups with PJ Washington or Marv at the 5 which cuts into his minutes too.

Last edited:
Excuse my complete ignorance in following his ongoing "drama", but apart from defense (which he's never been good at, and isn't ever going to improve on at his age, with declining athleticism), what exactly is Melo's "issue" these days?
I honestly just think he’s too old and the game has gone by him. I think a lot of people seem to forget he’s now 35. They’ve seen Kobe, Duncan, Nash, Dirk, KG etc play well into their mid 30s and assume it’s the norm. They all had games with skills that translated well even as they lost athletic ability.

Melo we all know was a star scorer in his prime, mostly from post ups and isolations. The game since his prime has become more pick and roll orientated and three heavy.

At first in OKC he seemed to still think he was a go to guy. But even once he got to Houston and spotted up mostly he simply couldn’t knock down shots.

It seems fairly obvious to me why he has been on the outer. All these ex players on TV don’t seem to get it though. Terribly slow ex star in decline who cannot defend at all, cannot blow past anyone and isn’t a great knock down shooter. Other teams clearly would rather a better defender or knock down shooter who is helping a team win better. Melo hasn’t helped a team win since his Knicks days.

I honestly just think he’s too old and the game has gone by him. I think a lot of people seem to forget he’s now 35. They’ve seen Kobe, Duncan, Nash, Dirk, KG etc play well into their mid 30s and assume it’s the norm. They all had games with skills that translated well even as they lost athletic ability.

Melo we all know was a star scorer in his prime, mostly from post ups and isolations. The game since his prime has become more pick and roll orientated and three heavy.

At first in OKC he seemed to still think he was a go to guy. But even once he got to Houston and spotted up mostly he simply couldn’t knock down shots.

It seems fairly obvious to me why he has been on the outer. All these ex players on TV don’t seem to get it though. Terribly slow ex star in decline who cannot defend at all, cannot blow past anyone and isn’t a great knock down shooter. Other teams clearly would rather a better defender or knock down shooter who is helping a team win better. Melo hasn’t helped a team win since his Knicks days.

Oh don't worry, I get all that

There seems to be this unspoken implication though that he's some real locker room cancer or ticking timebomb waiting to explode though, which I don't quite think is the case.

If the Blazers can accept that Melo is who he is at this point in his career, and Melo himself is willing to just "play a role" rather than getting #1 guy minutes and touches, then he should be an OK rotation piece to boost their scoring in some situations.

I think melo can be an excellent spot up shooter. However its not enough to cover his deficiencies.

He should retire and come out for national duties only

Oh don't worry, I get all that

There seems to be this unspoken implication though that he's some real locker room cancer or ticking timebomb waiting to explode though, which I don't quite think is the case.

If the Blazers can accept that Melo is who he is at this point in his career, and Melo himself is willing to just "play a role" rather than getting #1 guy minutes and touches, then he should be an OK rotation piece to boost their scoring in some situations.

He hasn't really proven he isn't a cancer though. In OKC he was still scoffing at any mention of him not being a starter. While he accepted a bench role in Houston it is a small sample size. You'd think now he knows to take what he is offered and be happy with it but who knows.

I'm sure he can still score but defense was his issue and it is unlikely to have improved.

Watching Harden the last few games has been eye opening to say the least.

What an absolute beast. Doesn't need to do much to lift the season MVP from here.
Probably needs to be more aggressive

Nic Batum - $25,565,217 salary, 40 minutes played over 2 games this year
Bismack Biyombo - $17,000,000 salary, averaging 12.1 minutes per game over 11 games this year
Michael Kidd-Gilchrist - $13,000,000 salary, 10 minutes played in 1 game this year

The Hornets are spending literally half the cap on guys who aren't in or are barely in their rotation!

You can even extend that further when you consider the $15,006,250 they're playing for 18.5 mpg of Marvin Williams.

Nearly 65% of the cap on 4 guys, none of whom are among the top 7 in minutes per game for your team!

To be fair, they're all expiring deals (although Batum has a $27M player option for next year, which I doubt he'd turn down), but still, a lot of outlay for not a lot of return. Should the Hornets be giving these guys more minutes, even if only to showcase them for a trade? Would they be useful pieces for other teams? Will the Hornets be a big player in the FA market, with the cap room they'll have at the end of the year? And what the hell happened to 'the next Scottie Pippen' MKG?

I dont think those guys have any value at the trade table, especially with those contracts.
We will use the next 2 years to blood the youngsters and let those nasty contracts expire.

Anyone else still picking themselves up off the floor over Melos comeback, or more so that someone is stupid enough to take him? Oh Portland did it? OK then.

Another week another warriors injury. Cursed?

Anyway rolling over some posts from Week 4 now.....if your post has been moved, congratulations
Melo is just a bench player now, he gets way too much coverage for being one as well

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The problem is his defense is so bad he will always be a target and his offense is no longer good enough where he's the main guy and you can build your defensive strategy around making sure he is covered as most teams do to get their stars rest.

While he can shoot still, that's about all you get out of him and if you just want someone to spot up shoot there's plenty of 3 and D guys out there to give you that plus defense. Unfortunately for Melo he's just a product of a generation and style that no longer exists.

After a poor start to the season the Kings have now won 5 of the last 7 games. The 2 losses were by a combined 6 points without Fox and Bagley.

Holmes has been a real surprise at power forward. Bogdanovic is playing well off the bench.

I wish the Kings would target a genuine centre. It’s the only thing holding them back.

I wonder if the Kings might make a play for Steven Adams when the trade window opens? :think:

I mean people wondering why melo didnt have a team.

How does Jamaal crawford not have a team?

He's probably waiting for the deadline. Wait and see who looks the goods.

He's Marvin Williams 2.0, but this time the Hawks are giving him bulk minutes and opportunity, in the vain hope that he somehow grows some nuts and sheds his passivity and reaches his potential.

I used to get all the Hawk's games on DVD from some dodgy Swiss based media company and watched much Marvin. He simply was not that good at basketball. Poor handle, couldn't figure out how to get to the basket, 50% of the time got the ball stripped from his concrete hands when he took his gather step, would hesitate mid move because he didn't know what the hell he was doing (and get stripped). He saved his ass by learning how to shoot the 3 ball and hiding away in the smallest market possible.

Having said all that Reddish is still a long way off even equaling Marvin's own rookie year which wasn't much.

And what the hell happened to 'the next Scottie Pippen' MKG?

He probably could have been ... problem was he was drafted by MJ himself which is a basketball curse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back