The official Bigfooty NBA Week 5 thread (Where Carmelo makes his comeback)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure if that was ever offered or likely to be accepted. I think we got pick #4 instead of Kuzma, not Ingram.

Ingram always had the higher ceiling, Kuzma was just more of a known quantity.

Needs a run of games, keeps getting injured.

I think he'll be a bust in terms of spending a #2 pick on him, but he can still be a starting level point guard on the right team - if he makes a few improvements.

I think Rubio is the best career trajectory for him to aim at. Michael Carter-Williams is the career trajectory to avoid.

He's not as good off the dribble as Rubio, which necessitates him taking more threes in a half court setting. On the other hand his height and wingspan means he could potentially eclipse Rubio as a defender.

Like Rubio, he needs the right team around him though. Obviously he's not good enough to mandate building your entire roster around, so some of it will come down to money.

If he improves and proves a decent-ish fit with Zion, then I reckon we may well keep him around in the $10 mill per season range. If Daddy Dearest starts popping up advocating for $20 million plus though, I reckon we'd happily let him walk in restricted free agency.
I thought Kuz was off limits and that was why Ingram and Hart were pieces along with pick 4

Could potentially be wrong but I remember the lakers were adamant about not letting him go

Not sure if that was ever offered or likely to be accepted. I think we got pick #4 instead of Kuzma, not Ingram.

Ingram always had the higher ceiling, Kuzma was just more of a known quantity.

Needs a run of games, keeps getting injured.

I think he'll be a bust in terms of spending a #2 pick on him, but he can still be a starting level point guard on the right team - if he makes a few improvements.

I think Rubio is the best career trajectory for him to aim at. Michael Carter-Williams is the career trajectory to avoid.

He's not as good off the dribble as Rubio, which necessitates him taking more threes in a half court setting. On the other hand his height and wingspan means he could potentially eclipse Rubio as a defender.

Like Rubio, he needs the right team around him though. Obviously he's not good enough to mandate building your entire roster around, so some of it will come down to money.

If he improves and proves a decent-ish fit with Zion, then I reckon we may well keep him around in the $10 mill per season range. If Daddy Dearest starts popping up advocating for $20 million plus though, I reckon we'd happily let him walk in restricted free agency.

I love Rubio. I’m not sure Lonzo can control a game, and especially the pace of a game like Rubio can. He does need to find a niche. He is not a star.

I thought Kuz was off limits and that was why Ingram and Hart were pieces along with pick 4

Could potentially be wrong but I remember the lakers were adamant about not letting him go

IIRC we wanted all four players (Ingram, Kuz, Ball & Hart) at the deadline in Feb. That was before the Lakers' season became rooted and they moved up in the lottery. Them having pick #4 changed things and allowed them to keep Kuzma.

I'm almost certain we wouldn't have done any deal that didn't include Ingram. You could argue we should have pushed for Kuz over Lonzo, but most Pels fans felt that Lonzo + Hart never constituted a terribly substantial trade package beginning. Ingram and pick #4 were the real prizes.

I love Rubio. I’m not sure Lonzo can control a game, and especially the pace of a game like Rubio can. He does need to find a niche. He is not a star.

Agreed he's no star, and almost certainly never will be.

He's fine in the open court. He's a really good defender. But as a lead guard directing a half court offence he has a long way to go.

Simmons for example is great at getting to the basket a la Giannis. Rubio, for all his finishing problems, isn't afraid to get into the paint, even if his main aim is to pass rather than shoot.

Lonzo on the other hand hasn't even mastered a straight line drive yet. And obviously pick and roll is going to be a problem until he proves he can make the defender pay for going under the screen. This is why I have no problem with him shooting threes this season - we need to know if he can become competent in at least one facet of half-court play. If he can't make enough shots then at least we know and can move on to the next option.

When are the Pistons going to blow it up?

Recruiting Rose, Kieff & Snell indicates that they still thought they had something going, against all available evidence.

Will probably wait for Griff and Jackson to get healthy on that note, I suspect. If/when they get healthy and (if) they still suck, they should be selling in Feb.

Building around a guy like Drummond is hard right now.

Recruiting Rose, Kieff & Snell indicates that they still thought they had something going, against all available evidence.

Will probably wait for Griff and Jackson to get healthy on that note, I suspect. If/when they get healthy and (if) they still suck, they should be selling in Feb.

Building around a guy like Drummond is hard right now.
a pairing of Blake and Drummond just doesnt work anymore (not that it ever did while they had them but previous era it may have been a bit better)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back