Mega Thread The Official Bigfooty NBA Week 5 Thread - Where's Kyrie?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
They have the taxpayers' exception, approx $5.7m.

I'm almost certain that they cannot combine the two exceptions, the most they can take back in a trade is the disabled exception, so just $5.7m. The taxpayer they can only use on buyouts or young unassigned prospects.

They lux cap / salary cap rules are too convoluted for me to understand.

But I've read elsewhere they can use both.

They had the mid level exception thing, available to use, prior to the Dinwiddie injury iirc...

They can't combine it but they can get two handy level players potentially

Last edited:
They lux cap / salary cap rules are too convoluted for me to understand.

But I've read elsewhere they can use both.

They had the mid level exception thing, available to use, prior to the Dinwiddie injury iirc...

They can't combine it but they can get two handy level players potentially

They're allowed to use both, they're just not allowed to combine them to sign, say, Andre Drummond for $11.4m in the event that the Cavs bought him out.

The DPE is more flexible in that they can use it in a trade, albeit not in a multiplayer trade. So if they wanted to trade away Tyler Johnson ($2m) for example, they could trade him for a player on a contract worth up to $7.7m. A trade for Derrick Rose would work theoretically using this model. Or they could use it on a free agent, either way.

The TMLE can only be used for straight free agent signings, which I imagine they might hold on to for the buyout market. Although they have to add another player this week.

They're allowed to use both, they're just not allowed to combine them to sign, say, Andre Drummond for $11.4m in the event that the Cavs bought him out.

The DPE is more flexible in that they can use it in a trade, albeit not in a multiplayer trade. So if they wanted to trade away Tyler Johnson ($2m) for example, they could trade him for a player on a contract worth up to $7.7m. A trade for Derrick Rose would work theoretically using this model. Or they could use it on a free agent, either way.

The TMLE can only be used for straight free agent signings, which I imagine they might hold on to for the buyout market. Although they have to add another player this week.

If the cavs buy out drummond or mcgee.

The nets sign him on a minimum contract and the former team pay out his entire contract.

Is that not correct?

That's why it's called buy out - you are giving him the money and using the salary cap space. But delisting the player

The nets sign him on a minimum contract and the former team pay out his entire contract.

Is that not correct?

That's why it's called buy out - you are giving him the money and using the salary cap space. But delisting the player
They don’t get the full contract amount lol. Player and team come to an agreement

They don’t get the full contract amount lol. Player and team come to an agreement

But they still have to pay the entire amount in the salary cap?

And quite often they do pay the full amount - such a deng 'stretched' by the lakers.

I'm assuming when they negotiate most players wouldn't be leaving millions behind?

And quite often they do pay the full amount - such a deng 'stretched' by the lakers.

I'm assuming when they negotiate most players wouldn't be leaving millions behind?

‘The main objective for both parties in a buyout is for the team to cut that player’s salary from their cap and for the player to seek other teams, potentially a playoff contender or just an overall better fit for their situation’

Is that not correct?

It depends.

There's also buyouts vs waivers, although the latter is pretty unlikely.

Then in the case of Drummond, it might depend on how much his new team is willing to pay him as to what percentage of his current contract he forfeits.

So in the case of Drummond, he's owed $28.7m. He might agree with the Cavs to only take $18 million, knowing the Nets are waiting in the wings to use a full exception of $5.7m on him, meaning he's only down a net of $5m, the price he pays to chase a ring on a good team.

Stretch and waive is not something you can do an unlimited number of times, there are rules about how often you're allowed to do it.

You're only allowed to do it with players in the last year of their deals. And all the stretch and waives for this season, eg Dedmon, will almost certainly have been done already.

Teams either do it because they know the player is so crocked/cooked/unevaluable that there's no possibility of a mid-season trade, or they do it because they want the cap space for the coming season. So there's no chance that Cleveland does this with either Drummond or McGee, for example.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Marcus Smart flopping after having a go at Joel flopping last game.

The irony.

The Scum just got away with a charge on Smart too.

But that is Philly for ya. No class whatsoever at all. Either as a city or it's sports teams (Eagles are the most hated team in the NFL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back