The Official Bigfooty Week 1 NBA thread (2017-18)

Remove this Banner Ad

We've done it. We've arrived. We survived.

2017-18 brings unprecedented and unparalleled feeling. This is the first season of contemporary times that we are without future Hall of Famer and arguably the second best shooting guard/small forward of all time. Kobe Bryant. Some have the privilege of being so young so as to never witness a season without the famous 8/24. This will be a new experience for you, enjoy it, embrace it, own it.

Here's his final game to get you into the sultry mood.

So a new era begins. The torch has been passed on.

Has there been an off season that has brought so much eyebrow raises and exasperated gasps? In a nutshell, here are some of the more notable moves:

George
Melo
I.T
Kyrie
Butler
Gibson
Teague
Bogut
Howard
Swaggy P
Rondo
a Moute
Paul
Baynes
CJ Miles
Crowder
Jamal Crawford
Tim Hardaway Jr (hahahahhahahahahaha)
Carter
Gay
Hayward
Olynyk
Millsap
Galo
ZBo
Hill
Zhou Qi
Rubio
Wade

We finally get a glimpse of Benjamin Simmons. But the Gods are displeased and have taken Dante Exum from us.

So here we are. Two massive grudge matches to open the season

Cavs @ Celtics

You thought KD vs OKC was big? This one dwarfs it Bigfooty style. IT, the heart of soul of the Celtics according to some was packaged and sent to Eastern rivals Lebrons. IT unfortunately is injured and will not take on his old team. Going to the Celts is former number 1 pick Kyrie Irving. He is Aussie when he's awesome. If the Cs win the East this year, Ainge will look like a genius! Joining him is Gordy Hayward and Aaron Baynes (Aussie), both as Celtic as can be. Horford, J Brown and Marcus "no extension for you" Smart represent the old guard.

The Cavs have taken a leaf out of 2017 AFL Premiers Richmond Tigers FC and will go small ball. Love slides into the middle with Lebron and Crowder beasting down low. Former MVP Rose opens the season at 1 guard with D Wade filling the other G spot. For those playing at home

F: Lebron (pic 1)
F: Crowder (34 by the cavs!)
C: Love (5)
G: Rose (1)
G: Wade (5)

First time that a starting five has featured two no 1 picks and 2 number 5 picks.

Warriors @ Rockets

Super teams don't just exist in the East. Harden will be sharing the rock with CP3 in a fearsome backcourt designed to destroy the world of men warriors. Capella will sing a tune with CP3 distributing, and Anderson should make it rain.

Rain you say? Curry, Klay, KD, Swaggy P. Damn, good luck stopping them.

Enjoy opening day responsibly.

PN is a season behind. Kobe has been gone for a season now.

Wrap up of last season for you (because you obviously forgot about it). Warriors played like 06 Kobe. The rest of the league played like 16 Kobe.

Looking forward to it! Excited about the Hornets season to see how the rookies go, particularly Monk but also Bacon. Hopefully the team can gel and make the playoffs, even if they don’t it will still be fun watching Monk progress. He’s the best draftee we’ve picked since Kemba.

Also can’t wait for the opening games tomorrow especially Kyrie v Cavs. Happy I have the week off work to watch the first few games :D

I expect Kyrie to shed his tunnel vision reputation and dish out 15 assists...probably all to Lebron James.
Can he leap in the echelons of Curry and Westbrook, or remain just a s**t Damian Lillard (like we all thought)?

Nobody on the Cavs will try on defence so the Cs should win

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If anyone likes Wisden there's a brillliant almanack from r/nba detailing everything from last season:

The defensive/offensive ratings (page 34) are of particular note: there's 4 or 5 Warriors in the top 10 in these categories.

Whoever compiled this has less of a life than a bigfooty poster

Last edited:
Hope we win, kyrie plays well and doesn't get booed too much.
e9461850994bad6543d9ee31044a43392740c670fcf07bbf4fde85dbbbade0a0.jpg

It feels very strange that the NBA season is starting so soon.

I'm so used to being desperate for the NBA to start since late August, but right now I'm not sure I'm ready for the NBA, while I'm still celebrating.

The reality of course is that I've had the Ravens losing to the Bears and now I get to watch Orlando so the Honeymoon will be over soon enough.

And then I'll watch the GF again and I'll be rigid again for a month.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back