The Official Bigfooty Week 2 NBA thread

Remove this Banner Ad

While he is still in his prime he can coach,develop and compete with the 76ers and slowly hand the reigns over to embiid and and simmons.

PERFECT mentor for simmons

Stays in the east

Never going to out shoot warriors so go the opposite, lebron and simmons can attack the rim, embiid is a rim protector and beast in the paint and slowly starting the spread the floor. Throw in the development of fultz and surround simmons and lebron with some shooters and that is one hell of a team for the next 5 years

Lebron hasn't got 5 years left.

More chance of you winning the lottery and simultaneously getting struck by lightning than this happening.

While he is still in his prime he can coach,develop and compete with the 76ers and slowly hand the reigns over to embiid and and simmons.

PERFECT mentor for simmons

Stays in the east

Never going to out shoot warriors so go the opposite, lebron and simmons can attack the rim, embiid is a rim protector and beast in the paint and slowly starting the spread the floor. Throw in the development of fultz and surround simmons and lebron with some shooters and that is one hell of a team for the next 5 years

Oh boy.

Well tbf he's had 2 seasons to show us he can't coach

Hail tank commander
CamPayneTankCommander.png

Takes the ball out of Simmons hands and Fultz will never touch the thing again.

If Simmons develops a jumper he is the next LeBron. There will be no need for the old LeBron
Hit a couple of nice mid-range jumpers today. Always fading away but I guess we only see him shoot the pull up, never catch and shoot.

******* hell, some of the takes here...

Unless you've literally never seen Fultz play until he hit the league, you wouldn't be questioning his fit next to Simmons. A three-level scorer, who's the better half-court facilitator and will take the opposing team's point-guard on pretty much every occasion. Not to mention Simmons is still a long way from developing a consistent jumper. He hit a fluky turnaround against the Mavs, but whiffed badly on a couple of others and airballed an 18 footer.

You don't trade for someone, potentially giving up a valuable asset for someone who isn't an almost perfect fit on this team, which he is, current yips aside.

LeBron to Philly speaks almost exclusively to newbies whose ties to the team start and stop with Simmons. This is easily going to be the worst part of navigating through Sixers fandom these next few years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The flat-out disrespect of Lebron James, his worth, and his career in the past page or two borders on nauseating for ME to read. Let alone any fan of the cavs/heat/whatever.

No, Ben Simmons is not "Lebron without a jumpshot". There will not be another Lebron james.

Lebron has easily 5 years left
You say this like it's guaranteed to happen. He's 33 in two months and has played a ridiculous amount of minutes in the NBA without dealing with any real injuries. That can work in his favour, but that amount of mileage is going to catch up eventually.

******* hell, some of the takes here...

Unless you've literally never seen Fultz play until he hit the league, you wouldn't be questioning his fit next to Simmons. A three-level scorer, who's the better half-court facilitator and will take the opposing team's point-guard on pretty much every occasion. Not to mention Simmons is still a long way from developing a consistent jumper. He hit a fluky turnaround against the Mavs, but whiffed badly on a couple of others and airballed an 18 footer.

You don't trade for someone, potentially giving up a valuable asset for someone who isn't an almost perfect fit on this team, which he is, current yips aside.

LeBron to Philly speaks almost exclusively to newbies whose ties to the team start and stop with Simmons. This is easily going to be the worst part of navigating through Sixers fandom these next few years.
Agree some of the Fultz stuff being thrown out on here is ridiculous. However I've been watching Simmons closely (fantasy purposes) to start the season and I'm not really convinced that you want the ball in someone else's hands much at all. Watching him I seem as a Magic type guard that is best with the ball in his hands at every opportunity.

Can Fultz shoot and possibly be suited to playing off ball? His college career suggests he can, but is having him play as an off-ball guard primarily really a good use of his talents? Giving Boston Tatum and the Lakers pick for that seems like a pretty high cost. You could have just kept 3 and drafted Monk if you wanted a shooter next to Simmons. You've also got to factor in that Embiid is clearly someone who needs the ball.

The big threes have all obviously shared the ball. LeBron, Wade and Bosh is the modern example that worked. LeBron and Wade worked despite both having shakey jumpers at times, but it wasn't until LeBron's jumper became really consistent that they were at their best. I'm not convinced that Simmons can ever play off-ball at all like LeBron did with Wade handling the rock.

Can Fultz shoot and possibly be suited to playing off ball? His college career suggests he can, but is having him play as an off-ball guard primarily really a good use of his talents? Giving Boston Tatum and the Lakers pick for that seems like a pretty high cost. You could have just kept 3 and drafted Monk if you wanted a shooter next to Simmons. You've also got to factor in that Embiid is clearly someone who needs the ball.

We're not going to be asking Simmons to shoot the ball (yet) when the ball's in Fultz's hands. Simmons should be spending more time in the post where he can freely get his own shot, and Fultz can easily draw him there. Or you get Simmons setting screens for Fultz. There's like countless set of plays that you can run with the two of them, not to mention the ones Fultz already has done in Washington.

Either way, having them both means for the entirety of a game you're going to have one or the other on the floor. Fultz' talents is his shooting [current form notwithstanding], not sure what else there is to say if you don't think him and Ben running pick and pops isn't a good thing? He literally only needs to be the 3rd best player on this team for it to excel.

And I like Monk, there's no way in hell I'd drafting him with 3. He isn't much of a play-maker and has almost non-existent D. I got no qualms with the trade. Insured ourselves enough by protecting the best player in those drafts, and if a standings order draft we're to happen today we'd be keeping the Lakers pick.

We're not going to be asking Simmons to shoot the ball (yet) when the ball's in Fultz's hands. Simmons should be spending more time in the post where he can freely get his own shot, and Fultz can easily draw him there. Or you get Simmons setting screens for Fultz. There's like countless set of plays that you can run with the two of them, not to mention the ones Fultz already has done in Washington.

Either way, having them both means for the entirety of a game you're going to have one or the other on the floor. Fultz' talents is his shooting [current form notwithstanding], not sure what else there is to say if you don't think him and Ben running pick and pops isn't a good thing? He literally only needs to be the 3rd best player on this team for it to excel.
I get what you're saying but I also think there should be some concern about paying so much for a guy to play a role he probably isn't best suited to. The role you talk about Fultz playing is suited to a guy like Curry. I'm not convinced he's that good of a shooter. I don't think Fultz is convinced either (unless his shoulder has been screwed for months). Fultz to me seems like the typical modern day pick and roll point guard.

Defensively even you could have had a pretty scary team with Simmons, Tatum and Embiid. I guess smaller quicker players would be a bit of a problem though.
And I like Monk, there's no way in hell I'd drafting him with 3. He isn't much of a play-maker and has almost non-existent D. I got no qualms with the trade. Insured ourselves enough by protecting the best player in those drafts, and if a standings order draft we're to happen today we'd be keeping the Lakers pick.
Or maybe you could have drafted Tatum or even traded down?

I get that Philly identified Fultz as the guy they needed next to Simmons and therefore were happy to pay a premium, but having watched Simmons he looks like a special player who I'd want having the ball in his hands at all times, particularly once he understands the game a bit better and improves his jumper (hopefully). He'll be playing 36-38 minutes a game eventually, so Fultz would be spending a heck of a time off the ball.

Maybe Fultz surprises me with his shooting. Until he does I'm going to be skeptical about that trade, particularly with Tatum exceeding everyone's expectations so quickly.

I think you're hedging your bets on what you've seen from Fultz so far in the league. If it stands, his shot, then you're right but with the benefit of hindsight and the strangest thing to happen to a college to NBA player.

Tatum's game looked like the most ready-made coming out of college and now has a larger role than expected cause of Hayward. Fultz start has been the polar opposite of that, but I'm not about to overreact eitherway because of it, other than to curse Bryan Colangelo a few times.

The flat-out disrespect of Lebron James, his worth, and his career in the past page or two borders on nauseating for ME to read. Let alone any fan of the cavs/heat/whatever.

No, Ben Simmons is not "Lebron without a jumpshot". There will not be another Lebron james.

Thats what they said about Jordan.
And they were right...still.

People of Lebrons athleticism level are becoming more and more common in the world, so yes we will see another lebron james, and probably one that is better than him.

People of Lebrons athleticism level are becoming more and more common in the world, so yes we will see another lebron james, and probably one that is better than him.

Im not entirely sure there will be another NBA player with the athleticism, all round skill, and durability of Lebron James around the corner.

Not counting it out, but unless Ben carries his team to the finals next year at the ripe old age of 22 I think the "Ben Simmons is Lebron" statements should cease.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back