Opinion The Official Brad Scott Thread - Back, at the club (Relax - bumped thread)

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah and the counter argument is that if you can employ a "Beveridge" you can win the Premiership. And people call me a negative prick. Your risk assessment is for the tip. We aint winning the Premiership with Scotts at the helm. :stern look
If you can employ a Beveridge and draft a Bontempelli and a Macrae and a Stringer, and get 3 good-to-excellent F/S picks.

Aside from the top end talent he's done bloody well with the number of low-drafted and rookie-promoted players and like Lyon, he's been good at getting ordinary players to contribute within their role. But Lyon has also had Riewoldt, Goddard, Hayes, Fyfe, Sandi, Pavlich at the top end to drive his sides into GFs.

If we bottom out for two years to the point where we get two good kids including a top-6 pick in the '17 draft, then finish low enough in '18 that Tarryn Thomas and whatever F/S picks don't cost us our first, and Simpkin and Ahern both come on along with Durdin and McKay, by 2020 direct comparisons with Beveridge would be ok. But now they're just too different. Scott's done well for the players he's had.

I hope he turns into a genuine hard ass with the players . Not trying to be their pals and defending the indefensible.

Play everyone on merit and not on age, games played etc

That's not how you progress. 90% of players are inconsistent and 100% have feelings/ pride.. resilience is real. They'll bounce back esp after dropping to a lesser team because of getting complacent due to putting the cue back in the rack (read: crucial ONE percenters stops happening). You need your reliables to play their role with the second tier working just as hard. Hard to beat any team with 22 contributors on the day.

I will never believe any junk that comes out of Barrett's mouth. He is a flog that fabricates bs to make headlines and create media drama
I'm assuming someone will ask a question and Brad will bat it away. Indeed, I think he already has at some point in the past. Reaffirming his mutual loyalty to a club that has shown him faith with his extension/s.

If you can employ a Beveridge and draft a Bontempelli and a Macrae and a Stringer, and get 3 good-to-excellent F/S picks.

Aside from the top end talent he's done bloody well with the number of low-drafted and rookie-promoted players and like Lyon, he's been good at getting ordinary players to contribute within their role. But Lyon has also had Riewoldt, Goddard, Hayes, Fyfe, Sandi, Pavlich at the top end to drive his sides into GFs.

If we bottom out for two years to the point where we get two good kids including a top-6 pick in the '17 draft, then finish low enough in '18 that Tarryn Thomas and whatever F/S picks don't cost us our first, and Simpkin and Ahern both come on along with Durdin and McKay, by 2020 direct comparisons with Beveridge would be ok. But now they're just too different. Scott's done well for the players he's had.
Please! He coached well for some periods of his tenure but it is also littered with some very, very ordinary periods. He has been inflexible, played favourites, lacked match day nous, talked nonsense like his "Easy Fixes" rot. He should have done better. Can't admit that then sadly you're too easily pleased. So I don't buy this Scotts' has "done well for the players he's had" argument. It has been his list for the last couple of years. Not. Good. Enough. :stern look

Yeah I'm amazed people go with the 'done well with the players he's had' type thinking.

If anything he has underachieved with the players he's had at his disposal.

Not one top 4 finish in 7 years, now we are 'resetting' so highly unlikely to change in near future.

Yeah I'm amazed people go with the 'done well with the players he's had' type thinking.

If anything he has underachieved with the players he's had at his disposal.

Not one top 4 finish in 7 years, now we are 'resetting' so highly unlikely to change in near future.

..And the inherited list was hardly a basket case. There was a good playing culture in place, he acknowleged this early on. There were some players with finals experience to lead the way and a good swag of decent draft picks to refresh the place.

Breaking it down you can say he had 3-4 seasons to make the list his. Which sounds strange because several mainstays over his tenure have been pre-existing players - Wells, Harvey, Petrie, Goldstein, Ziebell, Swallow, Tarrant, Hansen, Firrito, Thomas, Thompson, Wright etc. So it wasn't like he's had to turn the list upside down to make it competitive.

Anyway that leads to him then having had 3-4 seasons after that to produce something with 'his' list. That's where people debate the success of his effort. But I agree not sure how anyone can come at this from a 'players he had at his disposal' angle. 7 drafts, 7 seasons should be a reasonable indicator of his ability with this group and long enough to allow for any extreme up or down anomalies.

I love how Damo's big breaking story last night generated exactly 0 major articles in the major newspapers/online sites today.
Heh I was thinking that earlier today when reading the news and listening to SEN etc......no one has been talking about it. It was mentioned late last night on SEN around midnight and that was it since.

All he did by that was piss everyone off at the club and peeps like us. True supporters.

7 drafts, 7 seasons should be a reasonable indicator of his ability with this group and long enough to allow for any extreme up or down anomalies.

What you say is reasonable but I still feel there is a big disclaimer there. We needed to go heavy on the draft in Brad's first 2-3 years and the reality is we couldn't. There were three completely compromised drafts in a row and even post this the expansion teams and academy gifts have impacted on the draft. It's not that simple for mine.

What you say is reasonable but I still feel there is a big disclaimer there. We needed to go heavy on the draft in Brad's first 2-3 years and the reality is we couldn't. There were three completely compromised drafts in a row and even post this the expansion teams and academy gifts have impacted on the draft. It's not that simple for mine.

Maybe, maybe not. I'm not sure some of the on/off application of the squad or some little quirky habits of teams under Brad Scott can be explained away by that agreed draft inequity.

Some posters love to take the extreme on this. I'm certainly not saying he's been a disaster, he's produced more good than bad. But I am somewhat bearish on his suitability to be in place as senior coach for this season and beyond.

As always would love to be wrong. He wins us a flag and people can whack me off with the premiership cup.

Not one top 4 finish despite having one of the best lists in the league the last few years would suggest that ^ no, Scott is not good at getting his players up for each match.

The finals (when in each prelim year we were very nearly knocked out in first week) are convenient to rely upon to mask the underachievement in the regular season.

Sure his record is better than some other (more) failed coaches, no doubt about that, but I certainly don't think Scott has got the best out of the group in the last few years.

Not one top 4 finish despite having one of the best lists in the league the last few years would suggest that ^ no, Scott is not good at getting his players up for each match.

The finals (when in each prelim year we were very nearly knocked out in first week) are convenient to rely upon to mask the underachievement in the regular season.

Sure his record is better than some other (more) failed coaches, no doubt about that, but I certainly don't think Scott has got the best out of the group in the last few years.
I agree with most of what you say although I dont think we have had one of the best lists in the league or even close to that really.

We have had a very vanilla team for a while now with a couple of guys capable of something special. I think where Brad has let us down is getting that extra something out of those special players. Atley has been very disappointing, Ziebell should be an A grader but still does basic WTF moments, Harper, Black and Daw all had X factor through the roof yet only one is still on our list. Brad is responsible for the development of the list and i think he has developed them into a vanilla group after a couple of years of exciting run and gun football.

His record in taking us to finals was good but i completely agree that it is a convenient excuse for what in the end were finals runs that didnt amount to much.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not sure how you assess our list as being one of the best in the league. Pundits continually say we hardly have a gun player.
Underachievement in regular season? Four final series qualifications - I don't think so.
And on top of that the lack of an even playing field in terms of fixture, time scheduling and travel, not to mention the budget of the big clubs that dwarf ours. You really are a unrealistic poster.

I'm not sure how you assess our list as being one of the best in the league. Pundits continually say we hardly have a gun player.
Underachievement in regular season? Four final series qualifications - I don't think so.
And on top of that the lack of an even playing field in terms of fixture, time scheduling and travel, not to mention the budget of the big clubs that dwarf ours. You really are a unrealistic poster.

Whack!

Reaches for popcorn.

Maybe work on the ability to form your own opinion not just follow the geese in the media.

Multiple bottom 8 finish were below par considering our age profile and FA talent.

What's unrealistic is you thinking Scott is some master coach with zero results to show for it considering the tools at his disposal.

Maybe work on the ability to form your own opinion not just follow the geese in the media.

Multiple bottom 8 finish were below par considering our age profile and FA talent.

What's unrealistic is you thinking Scott is some master coach with zero results to show for it considering the tools at his disposal.

I don't think BS is a master coach. But I do think he is a good coach.

Zero results! Good one Saintly.

As for following the media, you're good at that. I haven't seen much laudatory coverage about BS from the media the past couple of years. Perhaps you're the one who might try and form an opinion of your own about what is realistic for North Melbourne? Then you'd be a better judge of both our coaching staff and our players.

I guess it's all subjective isnt it! What makes a good coach a master coach? What are the results that we want to see? Me personally, I want to see consistent effort from a playing group driven from a coach that gets the best from that group to bring the ultimate success. Premiership number 5!

Are you sure you dont barrack for Richmond? They tend to overrate their list :)

Our list has over achieved and we by far did not have and do not have one of the best lists in the league. I would suggest we have a better list this year in terms of depth than the past couple (quote Higgo's video today on that which I believe he speaks the truth).

Brad was young as a coach. I have seen him grow and improve, yet I havent seen meathead figjam and Delusional Damian (sounds like a Garbage Pail Kids card if anyone remember them?) improve at all and only take their clubs backwards. I know we shouldnt compare but he is heading in the right direction and I am more confident in seeing our team being better in 2 years than it was the past 4.

Barrett's report was interesting. Not earth shattering. Not particularly surprising. Just interesting.

Why the hate for Barrett over that? It's hardly damaging. It's just interesting news.
Why the upset that Brad would consider his future? It's a business after all and Brad has strong ties to Queensland.

The season begins in a fortnight. Until then, I recommend a cup of tea and maybe a bit of a lie down for some of you.

Barrett's report was interesting. Not earth shattering. Not particularly surprising. Just interesting.

Why the hate for Barrett over that? It's hardly damaging. It's just interesting news.
Why the upset that Brad would consider his future? It's a business after all and Brad has strong ties to Queensland.

The season begins in a fortnight. Until then, I recommend a cup of tea and maybe a bit of a lie down for some of you.

The problem is his constant crap output, oh he thought of doing this, the club hates him, boomer should retire, boomer should have been extended and then you have the sliding doors rubbish

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

He's not a good coach.

Thank you. We haven't won a flag so yes, zero result in 7 years and counting.

Welcome to Saintly 35's black and white world.

Win a flag? You're a good coach.

Don't win a flag? You're a dud.

Anything in-between that takes account of the construction of AFL lists, the draw, the relative spending power of clubs (oh, don't mention a political economy of football), historic advantage, the real fact that we were nearly shipped off to Gold Coast a decade ago, nah, too complicated ...

Anything in-between that looks at BS's generally excellent relationship with players, his mentoring role, his spruiking of the club, his pleasantness to supporters and media, his positive finals record, and the lack of scandals and s**t events we've had under his coaching, nah, who cares ...

“It was high tension time that related to the forced exit of Brent Harvey and other senior players from that club at the time and it reached a boiling point last September,” Barrett said.

“The Scott camp had had dialogue with the Brisbane Lions, who were looking to replace Justin Leppistch.

“North at one stage were unsure if Scott was going to come back to the club and take up the 2017 and 2018 component to his long term deal.

“The main issue that Scott and his camp felt during this period is they felt the club had left him to hang our to dry over the supporter backlash over the Brent Harvey sacking.”

Saw this yesterday, had a post half finished and decided it would be best to sit on it for a night.lol can only go off what has been said in the article......

I had a guy at work who suggested he wasn't happy and was looking elsewhere- three weeks later he's gone and wasn't the outcome he had in mind. Has a new job on less money! Has gone from the freedom of Uni life to an old age home. ( Will get him to drop by Horace :p)

Around the time this all came about ( the finished -four) I had a frank conversation with.... lets call him 'Frank' and I was informed that Brad wanted to own this situation and lead from the front. Which is the way it should be he Scott is after all the *face of the club. So the article to me could be rubbish or someone isn't being honest. That being said...

upload_2017-3-12_10-45-31.jpeg

I still struggle to understand how we could play Dal, Drew, Boomer and Firrito 91 out of a possible 92 games in season 2016 and * 'em all off at the end of that year- beggars belief. FWIW I actually believe it was and is the correct decision, sorry Boomer. But there's no way the majority should have played that many games, who'd have been surprised if Dal, Spud and Drew had played VFL for the majority of the season and we ended their careers?

Wells - we knew he was cooked ( Frank told me) unfortunately Daniel didn't believe it , the fact of the matter is we still offered him overs on current and future output and luckily for us Collingwood went crazy and we wouldn't match. But why did we offer someone who is close to finished decent money and more than a twelve month contract?

I like Scott and he was the perfect fit for us and we collectively owe him a lot. If he was in the mafia he'd be known as the "Stabiliser". Now the glove isn't quite the fit it once was, he has shored us up with his calm demeanour it is now time he moved on. Brissy need a stabiliser desperately.

Scott has said it himself he's players coach , not a club coach- wrong answer.

Now back to the 'story' if a leader wants out- you frogmarch him to the gates and send him on his way. If a leader cannot own what was essentially his mess, he's not a leader worth having.

Thanks Brad you were great for us, now not so much.

IMO of course :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back