The Official British and Irish Lions Tour of New Zealand Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

DIPPER said:
In: Thompson/Bulloch

Has to be Bulloch, because as bad as Byrne was tonight at the line outs, Thompson is even worse. No doubt Thompson will get the nod because he is English, but if you want the safer option for the line out you have to play Bulloch. Just a pity Bulloch plays for the Scots.

Henson may just provide some creativity for the outside backs, Wilkinson at 12 will never work, he can't take the ball up, he's not quick, he's not amazingly skillful/creative & to be honest even his kicking out of hand & his restarts aren't too great at the moment.

Agreed. You can't play out of position in your first run on test in over 18 months and expect to do well. Wilko should never of made the touring squad because he just hasn't played enough since the World Cup.

robbieando said:
Also I will point out that I'm one bitter Lions fan because no Scots made the test 22 and even though Scotland are a joke at the moment either Bulloch or Cusiter should of got a spot on the bench at the very least. Bulloch because he can throw a ball at a line out and Cusiter because he has been the form half back of the tour so far. But as we know "form" doesn't come into it, its who your mates are.

i definetly agree about bulloch, he should start next game, byrne was ordinary. but expect to see thompson at 2. and cusiter, argubaly the next best after peel, but, as well all know, dawson is probably 2nd coz he is english. but a good case for two scots there, for sure.

jimmy_clement#8 said:
i definetly agree about bulloch, he should start next game, byrne was ordinary. but expect to see thompson at 2. and cusiter, argubaly the next best after peel, but, as well all know, dawson is probably 2nd coz he is english. but a good case for two scots there, for sure.

So very very true. Seems to me that to play for this Lions team you need to have an English passport.

Planned to support New Zealand during this series (for the first time ever) - after 40 minutes I had swung around after some of the cheapest shots I've seen on a sporting field - and Jutge did not penalise them once! Granted, the All Blacks were far too superior on the night, but the Kiwis' behaviour was disgraceful. They haven't been charged either and O'Driscoll is out of the tour.

My Line Up for the Second Test

1. Gethin Jenkins - Wales
2. Gordon Bulloch - Scotland
3. Julian White - England
4. Paul O'Connell - Ireland
5. Donncha O'Callaghan - Ireland
6. Ryan Jones - Wales
7. Martyn Williams - Wales
8. Michael Owen - Wales

9. Dwayne Peel - Wales
10. Stephen Jones - Wales

11. Shane Williams - Wales
12. Gavin Henson - Wales
13. Ollie Smith - England
14. Josh Lewsey - England
15. Gareth Thomas - Wales (c)

16. Steve Thompson - England 17. Andrew Sheridan - England 18. Simon Shaw - England 19. Neil Back - England 20. Chris Cusiter - Scotland 21. Jonny Wilkinson - England 22. Geordan Murphy - Ireland

Welsh: 9, English: 8, Irish: 3, and Scots: 2.

robbieando said:
My Line Up for the Second Test

1. Gethin Jenkins - Wales
2. Gordon Bulloch - Scotland
3. Julian White - England
4. Paul O'Connell - Ireland
5. Donncha O'Callaghan - Ireland
6. Ryan Jones - Wales
7. Martyn Williams - Wales
8. Michael Owen - Wales

9. Dwayne Peel - Wales
10. Stephen Jones - Wales

11. Shane Williams - Wales
12. Gavin Henson - Wales
13. Ollie Smith - England
14. Josh Lewsey - England
15. Gareth Thomas - Wales (c)

16. Steve Thompson - England 17. Andrew Sheridan - England 18. Simon Shaw - England 19. Neil Back - England 20. Chris Cusiter - Scotland 21. Jonny Wilkinson - England 22. Geordan Murphy - Ireland

Welsh: 9, English: 8, Irish: 3, and Scots: 2.

very good side, especially the forwards. i do think however that corry should get in there, he is a good player. if martyn williams does not play the next game......i dunno whats going on. smith at 13? interesting choice, but then again, who else do you put there, its so hard to replace some one like o'driscoll. shanklin? greenwood? thatll be intriguing to see who clive picks. id say you have the 22 players right, just expect to see a few more englishmen start on the paddock and a few more scots, welsh and irish warming the sidelines at kickoff. cmon, lets get realistic......... :mad:

Can't be bothered going into detail or a big rant over Saturday's rubbish, Sir Clive I personally think has shown a lack of respect for the 2005 Grand Slam Champions with his english hacks Williams and Hensen must be included on Saturday, if not I they get another beating Mr Sir Clive. :mad:

early week indications are that robinson definitley wont play on the weekend, nor will corry or back, so that frees up 15, 13, 8 and 7. and assuming players that start tomorrow's game wont back up for the weekend, martyn williams (oh my god), bulloch and cuister wont play either. henson now looks good to play, but where? ryan jones youd think is a certainty at 7, unfortuneatly micky owen is playing tuesday so doubtful for the 8 on the weekend. my gut says however that thomas will go to 15 for the test and, yes, cueto to start on the wing. clive woodward - get rid of him.

Clive appears to be more of a manager-coach rather than tactical eg. planning back line movements to perfection.

That's why his game is focused soley on the set pieces and territory.

lions side for saturday:
Josh Lewsey (England); Jason Robinson (England), Gareth Thomas (captain, Wales), Gavin Henson (Wales), Shane Williams (Wales); Jonny Wilkinson (England), Dwayne Peel (Wales); Ryan Jones (Wales), Lewis Moody (England), Simon Easterby (Ireland), Donncha O'Callaghan (Ireland), Paul O'Connell (Ireland); Julian White (England), Steve Thompson (England), Gethin Jenkins (Wales).
Replacements: Shane Byrne (Ireland), Graham Rowntree (England), Martin Corry (England), Martyn Williams (Wales), Matt Dawson (England), Stephen Jones (Wales), Shane Horgan (Ireland).

just a few notes, thompson at hooker should be interesting, dont know how bulloch missed the 22. wilkinson beats jones to flyhalf, whilst clive has made a mess of his "three quarters" with gareth thomas at outside centre. ryan jones gets rewarded finally, as does shane williams for his midweek 5 try effort, but martyn williams must settle for the bench. henson is in, and should stay there now.

also, something i found quite funny. from the bbc article on their website:

After coming under fire for having an English bias in his first Test team, Woodward's new XV comprises six Englishmen, six Welshmen and Irish trio Easterby, O'Connell and O'Callaghan.

then when they go to display saturday's squad at the end of the article:

England XV:Josh Lewsey (England); Jason Robinson (England), Gareth Thomas (captain, Wales), Gavin Henson (Wales), Shane .......

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/rugby_union/international/4632577.stm

jimmy_clement#8 said:
lions side for saturday:
Josh Lewsey (England); Jason Robinson (England), Gareth Thomas (captain, Wales), Gavin Henson (Wales), Shane Williams (Wales); Jonny Wilkinson (England), Dwayne Peel (Wales); Ryan Jones (Wales), Lewis Moody (England), Simon Easterby (Ireland), Donncha O'Callaghan (Ireland), Paul O'Connell (Ireland); Julian White (England), Steve Thompson (England), Gethin Jenkins (Wales).
Replacements: Shane Byrne (Ireland), Graham Rowntree (England), Martin Corry (England), Martyn Williams (Wales), Matt Dawson (England), Stephen Jones (Wales), Shane Horgan (Ireland).

just a few notes, thompson at hooker should be interesting, dont know how bulloch missed the 22. wilkinson beats jones to flyhalf, whilst clive has made a mess of his "three quarters" with gareth thomas at outside centre. ryan jones gets rewarded finally, as does shane williams for his midweek 5 try effort, but martyn williams must settle for the bench. henson is in, and should stay there now.

also, something i found quite funny. from the bbc article on their website:

then when they go to display saturday's squad at the end of the article:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/rugby_union/international/4632577.stm

And again no SCOTS in the 22. Now come on, whats the point of the Lions if you don't have at least one player from each of the four nations in the starting 22. A right royal joke. This team is no better than last weeks one, with only real changes being forced by injury or suspension rather than FORM.

New Zealand 48-18 Lions

New Zealand produced a dazzling display to secure their record win against the Lions and take an unassailable 2-0 series lead with one game to play.

Fly-half Dan Carter was the star in Wellington, grabbing two tries and kicking 23 points as he scored a New Zealand individual record of 33 points.

Tana Umaga, Sitiveni Sivivatu and Richie McCaw also went over.

The Lions tries came from captain Gareth Thomas and Simon Easterby, with Jonny Wilkinson kicking eight points.

They were much improved from the side which was well beaten in the first Test but, after living with the hosts for the first half, they were blown away after the break.

All Blacks fly-half Carter produced a marvellous all-round display and he was amply rewarded with 23 points from the boot to add to his brace of tries.

The visitors made a dream start and after a couple of probing attacks new captain Thomas strode through an enormous gap around the fringes of a ruck to cross under the posts.

Wilkinson was never going to miss and his conversion put the Lions 7-0 up after just two minutes.

Within a minute Dwayne Peel sniped round the fringes of a ruck once again and scampered to halfway before being held, but the Lions kept the pressure on and were awarded a penalty, only for Wilkinson to hit the post.

The Lions won the ball back in prime attacking position but Paul O'Connell came flying into the ruck and conceded a stupid penalty, halting the Lions' momentum.

The All Blacks got on the board through two Carter penalties and the fly-half then engineered a marvellous try.

When Thomas dropped a pass Umaga fed Carter and the fly-half shrugged off Gavin Henson before racing 50 yards and returning the ball to Umaga.

The All Blacks' captain crossed near the posts and Carter converted to push the hosts into the lead after 18 minutes.

Wilkinson cut the gap with his first penalty eight minutes later but straight from the re-start the Lions conceded a penalty and Carter restored the gap.

Wilkinson, who had just missed a drop goal, again trimmed the gap to three points with his second penalty before the All Blacks scored a sparkling try.

After winning a scrum five out from the Lions' line they spun the ball across the width of the field and Sitiveni Sivivatu confirmed his try-scoring ability by blasting over from 10 metres for an unconverted score.

The hosts led 21-13 at the break and within five minutes of the re-start Carter had all but extinguished the Lions' hopes.

First he landed a penalty and then crossed for a marvellous solo try, which he converted from the right touchline.

The Lions went back on the attack but after twice spurning kickable penalties they came away from a 10-minute period of pressure with nothing.

Things went from bad from worse for the tourists as Wilkinson was helped off with what looked like a recurrence of his long-term "stinger" injuries just before the hour mark.

Carter added a penalty to make it 34-13 and, although the Lions managed their second try through Ireland flanker Easterby, the rest of the game was an All Blacks' showcase.

They added two further tries as first Carter danced through for another magical try before McCaw powered over for a short-range effort after Carter had been denied a hat-trick by a matter of inches.

The fly-half slotted both conversions as New Zealand wrapped up the series in dazzling style with one game, in Auckland next week, still to be played.

New Zealand: (21) 48
Tries: Umaga, Sivivatu, Carter 2, McCaw
Cons: Carter 4
Pens: Carter 5
Lions: (13) 18
Tries: Thomas, Easterby
Cons: Wilkinson
Pens: Wilkinson 2

New Zealand: Muliaina; Gear, Umaga (capt), Mauger, Sivivatu; Carter, Kelleher; Woodcock, Mealamu, Hayman, Jack, A Williams, Collins, McCaw, So'oialo.
Replacements: Witcombe, Somerville, Gibbes, Lauaki, Marshall, Nonu, MacDonald.

Lions: Lewsey; Robinson, Thomas (capt), Henson, S Williams; Wilkinson, Peel; Jenkins, Thompson, White, O'Connell, O'Callaghan, Easterby, Moody, R Jones.
Replacements: Byrne, Rowntree, Corry, M Williams, Dawson, S Jones, Horgan.

_________

Talk about getting 0wn3d. This series has been a farce. :eek:

SACK SIR CLIVE!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm surprised that they (Lions) were able to get some tries. On the other hand one try came from a rolling maul.

the hole series is a joke. if the lions cant beet the mouries wat chance do they have againts NEW ZEALAND.

Team to play in Auckland on Saturday:

Lions: Geordan Murphy (Ireland); Mark Cueto (England), Will Greenwood (England), Gareth Thomas (Capt, Wales), Josh Lewsey (England); Stephen Jones (Wales), Dwayne Peel (Wales); Gethin Jenkins (Wales), Steve Thompson (England), Julian White (England); Donncha O'Callaghan (Ireland), Paul O'Connell (Ireland); Simon Easterby (Ireland), Lewis Moody (England), Ryan Jones (Wales).

Replacements: Shane Byrne (Ireland), Graham Rowntree (England), Martin Corry (England), Martyn Williams (Wales), Matt Dawson (England), Ronan O'Gara (Ireland), Shane Horgan ( Ireland).

I knew Cueto would play, seriously, he is nowhere near the class of Lewsey or Williams. Greenwood? Talk about over the hill. Martyn Williams the most hard done by of the entire squad. Bulloch unlucky. Good to see Murphy play. And both Jones' too. Finally, Woodward has no idea what he is doing with Thomas, all he needs to do is play 9 and 10 and he would have played every back position. Woodward = idiot

This series has shown what many people have thought for about the last 7 or 8 years, that if NZ got themselves a decent pack, wh could deleiver int eh tight & the set piece then they could rule the world.

Give them their due they stood up bloody well at the scrum & in the tackle & showed us how to do it at the breakdown.

Must be red hot favourites for the next WC, although Australia always seems to be able to raise their game against them.

Between NZ & France for me in 2007.

Don't you think NZ may have peaked 2 yrs too early? It happened to them at the last WC and may be about to echo itself.

Anyhow it nice to see Clive not having an excuse for losing as in the past (decoys etc). The Lions were beaten fair and square.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back