List Mgmt. The Official Cam McCarthy Superultramega Thread - Deal done!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Realistically I think Mayne is going to attract a similar deal to Leuenberger or Suckling, which is a third rounder, if he goes via FA. I think we can just cut out the middle man.

Edit: scratch that, just saw Suckling got a second rounder. I guess it depends on what kind of contracts Mayne is being offered.
Suckling>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Mayne

I actually think the AFL industry as a whole (as in coaches, list managers etc) rates Mayne a lot higher than its fans. Will get us a second rounder IMO as long as he's offered 3+ years.

If Clarke leaves any compensation pick should be considered a bonus.

Suckling>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Mayne
Suckling is as soft as butter and must be used in the right way IMO to make the most of his elite kicking skills whilst not exposing his lack of toughness and defensive ability. Still a pretty good player but has his limitations.

Mayne actually would've polled higher in B+Fs and made the AA squad in 2013. Not only that in his final year at Hawthorn Suckling if I remember correctly was dropped once or twice. Mayne's output has dropped significantly but at his best he was one of the best medium forwards in the league. I agree he's a bit of letdown these days but from the outside it actually appears he's rated rather highly within the league.

If we are not rebuilding I would reluctant to let Mayne go , both Sydney team will benefits from him ,with less focus on him both team will bring back his scoring boots. Mayne problem is fixable as compare to d.pearce.

Pretty sure you can trade a player that is also a FA. See Dangerfield last year.

Realistically I think Mayne is going to attract a similar deal to Leuenberger or Suckling, which is a third rounder, if he goes via FA. I think we can just cut out the middle man.

It also lets us grab a FA from somewhere else potentially as well (our compo would otherwise be offset if we tried to sign an FA, and we wouldn't be able to get both an FA and McCarthy).

Edit: scratch that, just saw Suckling got a second rounder. I guess it depends on what kind of contracts Mayne is being offered.

You're also forgetting the lax period after the cap increase, something affecting the NBA at the moment, which will hugely affect compensation calculations as whilst his % to cap value will be the same, his raw price will increase and thus it's weighting compared to current contracts

Suckling is as soft as butter and must be used in the right way IMO to make the most of his elite kicking skills whilst not exposing his lack of toughness and defensive ability. Still a pretty good player but has his limitations.

Mayne actually would've polled higher in B+Fs and made the AA squad in 2013. Not only that in his final year at Hawthorn Suckling if I remember correctly was dropped once or twice. Mayne's output has dropped significantly but at his best he was one of the best medium forwards in the league. I agree he's a bit of letdown these days but from the outside it actually appears he's rated rather highly within the league.
I do get your point. I think most are happy to acknowledge Mayne probably had two super years 2012/13 but has fallen away badly since. He was poor on the weekend, and his "pressure acts" are ridiculously overrated. Stephen Hill had 5 tackles on the weekend too, but he actually got the ball 37 times to Mayne's 8.

The best comparison for me between Suckling and Mayne would be last year's Prelim. Mayne fluffed an easy set shot when we had all the running and killed our momentum, suckling had a shot after the siren and nailed it from outside 50.

Mayne's best is long gone, I pray someone offers him the deal of the century to give us a solid compo pick. Either that or hopefully GWS rate him that highly they offer a straight swap for sunshine, I would take that every day of the week and twice on Sunday. I'll even drive him to the airport. :rainbow:

I do get your point. I think most are happy to acknowledge Mayne probably had two super years 2012/13 but has fallen away badly since. He was poor on the weekend, and his "pressure acts" are ridiculously overrated. Stephen Hill had 5 tackles on the weekend too, but he actually got the ball 37 times to Mayne's 8.

The best comparison for me between Suckling and Mayne would be last year's Prelim. Mayne fluffed an easy set shot when we had all the running and killed our momentum, suckling had a shot after the siren and nailed it from outside 50.

Mayne's best is long gone, I pray someone offers him the deal of the century to give us a solid compo pick. Either that or hopefully GWS rate him that highly they offer a straight swap for sunshine, I would take that every day of the week and twice on Sunday. I'll even drive him to the airport. :rainbow:
I was more talking about compensation compared to Suckling. In comparison I think Mayne actually has a lot going for him. Age would be the negative. In reality a lot of it comes down to money, contract length and whether the AFL uses common sense rather than just their formula. Tbh I think Mayne leaving would overall be a positive for the club long term. What would we get if we traded him? Probably not nearly as much. He's 28 this year and can add a bit to a club in contention IMO but not much to a club like freo who are rebuilding. I think that either of the Sydney clubs would be the perfect fit tbh.

Last edited:
While Mayne is a very useful player to a good side (just like he was for us), what with turning 30 at the end of the 2018 season it's hard to imagine him being offered a three year contract by anyone. I think significant compensation if he leaves is unlikely.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The other option is Mayne accepts a deal at GWS which is worth a 2nd/3rd rounder, which we then trade for McCarthy. So from our end it's Mayne for McCarthy, from their end its McCarthy for Mayne and a 2nd/3rd. Both parties might be happy with that.

Mayne would fit in perfectly for both Sydney teams.

Hopefully they both try an buy him.

Our midfield will get made to look a bit sloppier and slower without him.
I agree, I think Mayne is a victim of circumstance more than anything, and he is a style of player far more valuable in teams with structures different from ours. His presence would give them a leg up, unfortunately for us, but we might get something of more value in return. I don't like the emphasis on trading rather than development in general (not looking at Hawthorn specifically... or maybe I am). It's a bit too "American" for me, but in some cases it's warranted, and if Mayne did well in another team I'd be pretty damned happy as long as we didn't get shafted in the deal.

Our supporters don't seem to realise how much of a gamble McCarthy really is at this stage. If it is depression or the like, one of the side effects is the loss of self-confidence. In a footballer, that can be career ending.

Why would GWS trade for a FA? Since they have none themselves there is no penalty for taking a FA.

Perhaps there is an agreement they get the compo pick for Mayne in the McCarthy deal, so then they may give Mayne as big a deal as they can to get them the best compo pick for us - in turn them.

Perhaps there is an agreement they get the compo pick for Mayne in the McCarthy deal, so then they may give Mayne as big a deal as they can to get them the best compo pick for us - in turn them.
I suppose that could work if the clubs had some informal guarantee from the AFL that a deal of x years and value y would net compensation z. Otherwise why would GWS run the risk of getting nothing?

I suppose that could work if the clubs had some informal guarantee from the AFL that a deal of x years and value y would net compensation z. Otherwise why would GWS run the risk of getting nothing?
They do have that, there is a table of contract value average per year compared against those already lodged of players over 25.

Then each percentage is awarded a pick for that bracket, the highest is for those players paid in the top 1-15% of players over 25.

Our supporters don't seem to realise how much of a gamble McCarthy really is at this stage. If it is depression or the like, one of the side effects is the loss of self-confidence. In a footballer, that can be career ending.

thats why his value should be almost nothing. they can talk s**t but this guy is in the mitch clark bucket. And Mitch had alot more runs on the board and got traded for a packet of chips.

They do have that, there is a table of contract value average per year compared against those already lodged of players over 25.

Then each percentage is awarded a pick for that bracket, the highest is for those players paid in the top 1-15% of players over 25.
Any idea how much each bracket is ?

McCarthy's not in good condition at all. That's pretty much the common word on the street. He's on the booze and smokes and has lost a significant amount of weight and fitness.

Put it this way. No ones going to trade much at all for a guy who's unfit. Both us and West Coast will do the testing on him and it will expose the truth about him if it's true. I'll compare him to Mitch Clark again. He was incredibly out of shape when Geelong traded for him. They traded away a player who they may have even delisted (Varcoe) after Melbourne had traded pick 12 for him only two years before. He played some bloody good footy in that first half season as well. McCarthy isn't worth squat if any of the reports out there are true and if they're not then you'd have to question his desire if he's willing to sit out a year (you may choose to either way).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back