The Official 'Get your hot takes here' Week 3 thread

Remove this Banner Ad

They must have been very relieved they got McLemore instead
Awful draft really. Not a single star in the top ten, although Oladipo may be on the way to proving that wrong.

I’ll always have nightmares over Ainge drafting Olynyk. He was scouting Giannis for ages, had been over to watch him but didn’t take him apparently because Giannis didn’t want to spend another year in Europe.

Awful draft really. Not a single star in the top ten, although Oladipo may be on the way to proving that wrong.

I’ll always have nightmares over Ainge drafting Olynyk. He was scouting Giannis for ages, had been over to watch him but didn’t take him apparently because Giannis didn’t want to spend another year in Europe.
Ainge nearly drafted someone, will colour me shocked

Bennett
Oladipo
Porter
Zeller (ill never forget the scenes when he was picked)
Len
Noel
McLemore
Caldwell-Pope
Burke
McCollum

SHIIIITTTTTTTT

jesus the whole draft save for some foreigners is pretty underwhelming

I went through the archives and found essentially no one abused, teased or lambasted Al Horford during his Hawk or Celtic years

Shooting like ass but just lucky Horford is such a soft campaigner that Lopez can just enter him whenever and got the offensive board.

Playoff Horford has arrived.

I'm enjoying this... i mean they'll still win the series after we collapse and lose 3 straight, but its funny s**t

That's what you get for being a douche, Horford.

He's such a dumbass, melts every time against us

Horford still sucks in case anyone had forgotten

There's 4 minutes I'll never get back.

I'm assuming that's quoting me posting Snottie Drippen tweets.... he's an absolute die hard Boston fan btw
A whole bunch of Boston fans call him Average Al...

My point is that its there..no use denying that he does cop it for being unassuming and not padding his offensive numbers. Completely trivial and pointless wasting time on it further though.

I will use Jrue Holiday as a reference, both got contracts people at the time everyone scratched their heads at. Yet both are FINE players, neither are bad but both have flaws in their game at the position they play that people jump on and try to kill them.

Horford = rebounding/intensity
Jrue = shooting/not living up to his Philly days.

Any questions?

Yes, I have a question - does Horford also make nightmare turnovers at crucial junctions for no good reason?

You look at all of Horfords metrics for this season now that he is playing significant minutes back at power forward, and tell me if he is a big contract that anyone should scratch their head at.

Is he a max contract? Probably not, but you have to overpay to land a free agent so who cares?

Again, we all laughed at Atlanta for giving Dwight a big contract and breaking up that Horford/Millsap team.

There's 4 minutes I'll never get back.

Someone calling Horford a douche, a dumbass or soft - possibly a Cavs fan with a name rhyming with 'banana' - is hardly evidence of a board wide hate train campaign against him. In fact those criticisms barely impugn his basketball skills as it is. Neither does a tweet from some random guy prove Horford is not rated here.

Of course I abuse him. We have played his team in the playoffs 3-4 years in a row and he has gone to water every single time, not to mention he always has a sook along with his sister on twitter.

Here's the crux of it:

Hawks vs Cavs, 2015 - Horford grabs 19 rebounds in four games, Hawks get swept.

Hawks vs Cavs, 2016 - Horford grabs 14 rebounds in four games, Hawks get swept.

Celtics vs Cavs, 2017 - Horford grabs 21 rebounds in five games, Celtics lose 4-1.

Horford has played 13 playoff games against Cleveland in three years, and has averaged about four rebounds per game over those series. Now it's pretty fair to criticize those performances, but that's not tantamount to everyone thinking that Horford is a horrible player.

This is why Atlanta made the misguided play for Dwight, ironically enough. Budenholzer probably still has Tristan Thompson nightmares. It is what it is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes, I have a question - does Horford also make nightmare turnovers at crucial junctions for no good reason?

Is he a max contract? Probably not, but you have to overpay to land a free agent so who cares?

Again, we all laughed at Atlanta for giving Dwight a big contract and breaking up that Horford/Millsap team.

Someone calling Horford a douche, a dumbass or soft - possibly a Cavs fan with a name rhyming with 'banana' - is hardly evidence of a board wide hate train campaign against him. In fact those criticisms barely impugn his basketball skills as it is. Neither does a tweet from some random guy prove Horford is not rated here.

Here's the crux of it:

Hawks vs Cavs, 2015 - Horford grabs 19 rebounds in four games, Hawks get swept.

Hawks vs Cavs, 2016 - Horford grabs 14 rebounds in four games, Hawks get swept.

Celtics vs Cavs, 2017 - Horford grabs 21 rebounds in five games, Celtics lose 4-1.

Horford has played 13 playoff games against Cleveland in three years, and has averaged about four rebounds per game over those series. Now it's pretty fair to criticize those performances, but that's not tantamount to everyone thinking that Horford is a horrible player.

This is why Atlanta made the misguided play for Dwight, ironically enough. Budenholzer probably still has Tristan Thompson nightmares. It is what it is.
Fun fact, he also got swept by the cavs in 2009

Fun fact, he also got swept by the cavs in 2009

Must have been fearing Sideshow Bob :cool:

Looking at that series now... someone called Thomas Gardner scored 12 points in 16 minutes for the Hawks in that series. Learn something every day.

Horford is really good, he's an elite glue guy, I don't think he's a star but an argument can be made that he has a lot more value as an elite glue guy as it pertains to winning a lot of games than a lot of "stars" do. But that's what he does for you, wins you a lot of regular season games and his value goes down against the best teams in 7 game series', I don't think that's a crazy hot take, it's been shown time and time again.

Bennett
Oladipo
Porter
Zeller (ill never forget the scenes when he was picked)
Len
Noel
McLemore
Caldwell-Pope
Burke
McCollum

SHIIIITTTTTTTT

jesus the whole draft save for some foreigners is pretty underwhelming
I actually forgot about McCollum. I'd say he's a star.
Horford is really good, he's an elite glue guy, I don't think he's a star but an argument can be made that he has a lot more value as an elite glue guy as it pertains to winning a lot of games than a lot of "stars" do. But that's what he does for you, wins you a lot of regular season games and his value goes down against the best teams in 7 game series', I don't think that's a crazy hot take, it's been shown time and time again.
I think that is why he has started to look a lot more valuable so far this year. Ainge has surrounded him with a team filled with depth and rebounders. He no longer has to worry about being smashed on the boards and he can just play his role offensively while not having to do heaps.

Last year it was pretty much just Isaiah and Horford was thrust into a role he isn't suited to.

Last edited:

Definitely. Porter could be one of the best small forwards in the league also. Dipo having a break out year looking like a bonafide stud

3/10 ain't bad

Definitely. Porter could be one of the best small forwards in the league also. Dipo having a break out year looking like a bonafide stud

3/10 ain't bad
Porter is a good third guy. Would have to see him elsewhere to judge him properly as a star level player.

All 3 can play, but in a top 10 of a draft you'd typically expect close to superstar level player in every draft. That draft stands out compared to drafts right before and after where you had Davis, Embiid, Towns and Simmons all go early.

I think that is why he has started to look a lot more valuable so far this year. Ainge has surrounded him with a team filled with depth and rebounders. He no longer has to worry about being smashed on the boards and he can just play his role offensively while not having to do heaps.

Last year it was pretty much just Isaiah and Horford was thrust into a role he isn't suited to.

There's a lot of truth in that, although as Drummer_19 said he was still really valuable during the regular season. It's just the playoffs where, ideally, you'd want him to be your third banana in any 'Big 3', not your first or second offensive option.

Hayward would/will solve the latter problem. I guess having Kyrie/Brown as your guards instead Thomas/Bradley helps alleviate some of the size discrepancy on the boards too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back