Injury The OFFICIAL Injury Updates thread - 2 weeks

Remove this Banner Ad

Benny Jacobs obviously had a big set back somewhere. Was on crutches in an Instagram shot the other day and won't be running until post Christmas.

He and Garner are the big 2017 worries I think. Both vital players too.
We desperately need Benny J back. He simply makes us a better side when he plays in his role. His defensive nous around the stoppages is probably only second to Swallow as well.

Benny Jacobs obviously had a big set back somewhere. Was on crutches in an Instagram shot the other day and won't be running until post Christmas.

He and Garner are the big 2017 worries I think. Both vital players too.

Very vital. I can't see garner ever being fully ready unfortunately, but Jacobs foot is a huge worry

We desperately need Benny J back. He simply makes us a better side when he plays in his role. His defensive nous around the stoppages is probably only second to Swallow as well.
I don't think we're desperate for him. He made us better when we lacked class around the ball. What we need is for, Higgo, LMac, Clarke, Jed, Garner and Dumont to stand up and be the class we need. If we add Ben 10 back at his best, Swallow in and under, JZ pinch hitting in there and Simpkin as the Young star, we could have no need for Jacobs.

That gives us a good mix of class, run, tackling and in and under. And all but LMac and Swallow can rotate through the forward line. With JMac and Gibbo on the wings it may be hard for Jacobs to fight his way back in.

I don't think we're desperate for him. He made us better when we lacked class around the ball. What we need is for, Higgo, LMac, Clarke, Jed, Garner and Dumont to stand up and be the class we need. If we add Ben 10 back at his best, Swallow in and under, JZ pinch hitting in there and Simpkin as the Young star, we could have no need for Jacobs.

That gives us a good mix of class, run, tackling and in and under. And all but LMac and Swallow can rotate through the forward line. With JMac and Gibbo on the wings it may be hard for Jacobs to fight his way back in.
I understand that argument and I'm in agreement that we need those guys to step up, but I disagree that all that means we don't need him.

By completely nullifying the oppositions best midfielder he makes us a better side. I agree that we need all those guys to stand up and play the inside grunt roles and add the class, but you also need someone to give the midfield a chop out and do the dirty work. By taking out the best mid he also helps that midfield group as well as the team. I'd certainly play him ahead of Swallow as well. I don't think there's anyone in that lot, on the rest of the list, or perhaps in the entire league that is as good in that tagging role as Jacobs.

IMO he is comfortably best 22. He was crucial to some of the best footy we've played in years at the back end of 2015.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I understand that argument and I'm in agreement that we need those guys to step up, but I disagree that all that means we don't need him.

By completely nullifying the oppositions best midfielder he makes us a better side. I agree that we need all those guys to stand up and play the inside grunt roles and add the class, but you also need someone to give the midfield a chop out and do the dirty work. By taking out the best mid he also helps that midfield group as well as the team. I'd certainly play him ahead of Swallow as well. I don't think there's anyone in that lot, on the rest of the list, or perhaps in the entire league that is as good in that tagging role as Jacobs.

IMO he is comfortably best 22. He was crucial to some of the best footy we've played in years at the back end of 2015.

If our mids are winning the ball and aren't damaging enough when they have it then yes we need him. But if we have the ball we have no need for him. If he's not tagging he gets lost and caught in no mans land. We need mids that can go both ways. Hopefully he can add that part to his game and then he really pushes for a spot.
We had more midfielders get 30+ against us last year than any other side, I'd suggest that means Jacobs is important.
Who was the last premiership team to play a dedicated tagger? I'm really not sure, I didn't see the GF this year so Dogs may have done it. But my bet is not many taggers get a medal at the end of the year! If we truly are in a reset mode then we need to be developing mids that can get 30 plus possessions, not guys who can stop the opposition doing it.

If our mids are winning the ball and aren't damaging enough when they have it then yes we need him. But if we have the ball we have no need for him. If he's not tagging he gets lost and caught in no mans land. We need mids that can go both ways. Hopefully he can add that part to his game and then he really pushes for a spot.

Who was the last premiership team to play a dedicated tagger? I'm really not sure, I didn't see the GF this year so Dogs may have done it. But my bet is not many taggers get a medal at the end of the year! If we truly are in a reset mode then we need to be developing mids that can get 30 plus possessions, not guys who can stop the opposition doing it.
Libba tagged Josh Kennedy in the second half of the grandfinal.

http://m.afl.com.au/news/2016-10-01/bulldogs-halftime-plan-that-won-the-grand-final

Did you even read the article?

"It wasn't a case of tagging Kennedy because the Bulldogs thought they could beat him in open space."

That article highlites why Jacobs can't play. He can't spread, he gets lost all the time.
I hadn't but I did remember commentators and other media people mention that he was playing/ tagging on Josh Kennedy and beating him.

I hadn't but I did remember commentators and other media people mention that he was playing/ tagging on Josh Kennedy and beating him.
Being accountable is different to tagging. Libba and BJ are the same age but Libba averages 7 more possessions and 5 more clearances. Completely different players. BJ needs to improve his total game, otherwise we play Dumont, who if needed can play accoutable if we need it (not that Scotts would make such a move during a game!!)

Being accountable is different to tagging. Libba and BJ are the same age but Libba averages 7 more possessions and 5 more clearances. Completely different players. BJ needs to improve his total game, otherwise we play Dumont, who if needed can play accoutable if we need it (not that Scotts would make such a move during a game!!)

Dumont went head to head with Jack steven this year and did an accomplished job

Dumont tagged twice this year. Was awesome the first time and sucked the second. It's not the hardest role to teach a player if that's what the team want.

We should use JZ as a tagger. He can drag his opponent Forward and really make them pay. You would not use him to stop aerobic accumulators obviously, but definitely the Libba/Cripps/Steven types who he could kick multiples on when we have the ball.

I felt like he improved his total game before he got injured this year

Jacobs is one of the best taggers we've ever seen in the competition and that in itself is crucial

I felt like he improved his total game before he got injured this year

Jacobs is one of the best taggers we've ever seen in the competition and that in itself is crucial
Never got more than 20 possessions

Yep on of the best taggers we've seen but I don't see it as crucial. I think winning the contested ball, and being able to use the ball as being crucial. I'd prefer us to play a ball winner that can occassionaly tag over a tagger that can occasionally win the ball.

Jacobs should not play ahead of Dumont.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back