Injury The OFFICIAL Injury Updates thread - 2 weeks

Remove this Banner Ad

Were you working at North? Just because kangatech came to light in 2015/2016 it doesn't mean steve wasn't developing the software during that time. Products need to be battle tested prior to marketing.

Peer reviewed journals discussing kangatech will come in time but it makes little sense to release info with such a small sample size. Info will be gathered once more teams add to the dataset. If the info is added to an athlete pool and de-identified this helps athletes and trainers across the globe - once again, a good thing as we all want athletes fit and able to play.

Everyone makes mistakes. North made the mistake of training longer duration at moderate intensities during pre-season a couple of years ago when the rest of the comp opted for HIIT. It was a risk that didn't pay off. Similar to how adelaides strength and conditioning team opted to increase hamstring strength in the off-season in an attempt to get that extra few percent - it hasn't paid off. Essendon went the supplement route - again didn't pay off. The difference is steve has a proven track record and now a product that is in high demand globally. This isn't a snake oil salesman selling to pea brains. He's marketing to university graduates with years-decades worth of experience including those that work at elite level teams. They could see through bullshit because the market is full of it. The demand speaks for itself. Again, it's only as good as the people using it which is something you can't seem to wrap your head around.

Sure, back track on the lindsay stuff. It's for all to see and common knowledge on this board. Not low at all. You've gotten personal with two people related to North (you can deny it all you want but attacking the integrity of steve and a prpduct he's put a lifetime of work into is a personal stab) and yet want sympathy in return. I'd hope it would humble you and cause you to lay off the personal stuff - clearly it has not. Proof you are happy to dish it but not receive it. You can also direct it towards me but I'm someone who replied directly to you on more than one occasion.
Shut the * Up Steves and get back to Fixing Taylor Garner's Hamstrings. :stern look

More bullshit.

As for LT, I never got personal. He seemed like a nice guy, just a s**t footballer. It's no wonder our forward line is functioning better with out him. You're the one that has gone rather low on the personal attacks. Pretty poor form, but it doesn't surprise me.

Never got personal? It was all personal with you. Even to say he was a 's**t' footballer reveals the level of your hostility.

More bullshit.

From directly below the graph:

"Using KangaTech and the treatment philosophies of Saunders Sports & Spinal, Dr Steve Saunders was able to show the benefits whilst at the NMFC. The Kangaroos were the league leaders in the least soft tissue injuries sustained between 2011-15"

http://www.sssphysio.com.au/kangatech.html

No peer reviewed publication would allow this to get through. Jokes on you.

You're the one getting personal. You obviously have a strong connection to Saunders (are you Alan Obst?) and like you I have my connections. You know full well he has made some bad mistakes.

As for LT, I never got personal. He seemed like a nice guy, just a s**t footballer. It's no wonder our forward line is functioning better with out him. You're the one that has gone rather low on the personal attacks. Pretty poor form, but it doesn't surprise me.

"I never got personal"

?

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...l-and-jeds-excellent-adventure.1191586/page-2

Stupid... dirty... dumbest...sniper?

Last edited:
Is test the new 2 weeks!!??

Luke Davies-Uniacke (ankle) - test
Mitch Hibberd (knee) - test
Declan Mountford (ankle) - test
Gordon Narrier (hip) - test
Daniel Nielson (concussion) - test
Jarrad Waite (hip) - test
Ed Vickers-Willis (knee) - season
Declan Watson (knee) - indefinite

List updated May 15, 2018

(Log in to remove this ad.)

TAYLOR Garner's nightmare injury run has continued, with North Melbourne's exciting forward suffering hamstring tightness again in the VFL on Saturday.

The 24-year-old looked to have turned the corner last season – playing a career-high 18 matches – after an injury-marred start to his AFL career, but is yet to appear at senior level in 2018.

There was also bad news for Hawthorn in the same state league game, with midfielder Daniel Howe spraining his left ankle in the last quarter and taking no further part.

The Hawks held defender Conor Glass and ruckman Jon Ceglar out of the VFL contest ahead of Sunday's clash with West Coast at Etihad Stadium.

Hip and groin problems hampered Garner in the pre-season before he returned through the VFL in round three, only for a sore hamstring to sideline him two games into his comeback.

Saturday's contest, which the Roos won by 36 points over the Hawks' VFL affiliate Box Hill at Werribee's Avalon Airport Oval, was his third match in a row, but he now faces time out again.

Garner received a massage on his left hamstring in the third quarter before briefly going back on the field but was done for the day at three-quarter time.

He was seemingly nearing a senior return as one of four emergencies for North Melbourne's AFL team this weekend.

Garner, who is contracted through the 2020 season, had shown promising signs against Box Hill, kicking two first-quarter majors, including one after a trademark leap to clutch a chest mark.

The No.15 pick in the 2012 draft managed only 16 games in his first four seasons, in large part because of repeated hamstring setbacks, as well as shoulder, ankle, thumb and knee issues.

Paul Ahern (22 disposals) was a North standout with his composure and kicking skills and must be close to making his AFL debut, while teenage forward Nick Larkey was strong aerially and booted five goals.

Ruckman Braydon Preuss (17) was a key reason the Roos went to half-time with a 10-goal advantage and Cam Zurhaar starred with seven tackles and 4.2 from 18 disposals.

Declan Mountford (ankle) played only after half-time after four matches out and key backman Dan Nielson returned from two weeks on the sidelines with concussion.

Nathan Hrovat travelled with North to Perth as its match-day emergency for Sunday's game against Fremantle at Optus Stadium.

Howe was one of the Hawks' best players before his ankle injury, compiling 26 possessions, 10 marks, four tackles and two goals.

Teia Miles amassed 23 touches and six tackles in his new defensive role and Brendan Whitecross kicked two majors among his 20 disposals.

Hawthorn-listed Kurt Heatherley sat out the second half, as planned, as he makes his way back from an Achilles injury.

Patrick Dangerfield reveals why football clubs are forced to lie about the health of players
PATRICK DANGERFIELD, Herald Sun
May 26, 2018 6:00pm
Subscriber only
TRANSPARENCY or a competitive advantage?

That’s the question confronting fans of every AFL club when it comes to the reporting of injuries.

What do you want? And remember you can’t have both.

Do you want to know that your star player has broken ribs or be kept in the dark and watch him help your team win?

If not revealing the injury increases your team’s chances of winning by two per cent or five per cent, are you happy with that as a supporter?

For example: If Joel Selwood has a hamstring complaint and isn’t going to play, we want to wait until the very last second to reveal that because our opposition is planning on coming up against one of the best players in the competition.

We want them wasting their time preparing for Joel while we’re obviously already organised which gives us a competitive advantage before the ball is even bounced.

There have been calls for an NFL-style daily release of information about the status of every player.

I know we’re obsessed with following almost everything from American sport but this is a practice that simply wouldn’t work in AFL.

In no other endeavour apart from sport is medical information made public.

Yet in footy we demand to know things that would otherwise stay between doctor and patient.

You can’t declare a player has a rib injury on the Monday because that places a large target on his head for opposition players.

I can guarantee you that in a pack situation an opposition player is going to hit those ribs as hard as they possibly can.

In my first year at Geelong, Shane Kersten played for seven weeks with broken ribs. No-one other than the coaches and his teammates knew about the injury.

3fb8faa0f2f1a90a624e2cc1da14ee01

Shane was a maligned player for most of his stint at the Cats but in many ways he was a hero to his teammates during this time.

We would be shown vision in our team meetings of him backing into packs.

When he was being criticised, we all would have loved to say, “Hang on, he’s playing with broken ribs” but if you come out and say that then he gets lined up the next week.

There is another side of the argument where being transparent is clearly better for the player and his mental health.

This needs the club and player to be on the same page and really it’s where the player development managers are crucial as they’re the ones who are the temperature check of the player.

They need to speak up and say while the coach or management might think not saying anything is in the best interests of the club, in this situation it’s not in the best interests of the player.

Joe Daniher is a perfect example of this.
He was getting criticised widely because his form wasn’t up to expectation and seemed to be carrying the can for Essendon’s poor start to the season.

Then the Bombers come clean, Joe does a press conference revealing he’d been carrying a groin injurywhich now needed rest.

Immediately, the heat of the situation disappears.

Dayne Beams stepping down as Brisbane captain is along similar lines.

89efe76f4c20e2083a55795d727d352a

What he did by coming out and saying he was struggling following the death of his father is more courageous than any act you will ever see on the football field.

He doesn’t fit the stereotype of someone who would speak openly about their feelings, someone who would let their guard down.

But he did and it sets an incredible example to every AFL player out there.

Players historically aren’t wired to put up their hands and ask for help or say we’re hurt.

It’s the way we are as a nation, in male and female sport we love those that don’t complain and just get on with it.

In saying that one of my pet hates is the cliche: “If you step foot across the white line then you’re 100 per cent fit.”

That is a load of rubbish and the saying has been around for too long and is still being used in local footy.

There is not one player in the AFL who is 100 per cent fit every game of the year.

My old coach in Adelaide had a great saying which has lived with me.

Early in my career I had a few different injuries and after this particular game in Geelong I had a back problem which was essentially stress fractures.

I missed one game but then declared myself ready to go the following week and told Neil Craig as much.

“I know you’re right to play,” he said. “But are you right to perform?”

It’s so hard as a casual observer and fan to understand what some of our players go through just to get up and play, to represent the colours.

Should they know everything that’s going on? I say no.

2 off the list and 2 on. Hope Garner is not out for weeks again... Not sure what to make of TBC.

For Watson I suppose moving from indefinite to TBC is positive??

Following the script and not giving much away. What has happened to the weekly write ups?

Sam Durdin (Concussion) - test
Taylor Garner (Hamstring) - TBC
Declan Watson (Knee) - (TBC)
Ed Vickers-Willis (Knee) season

List updated May 30, 2018

2 off the list and 2 on. Hope Garner is not out for weeks again... Not sure what to make of TBC.

For Watson I suppose moving from indefinite to TBC is positive??

Following the script and not giving much away. What has happened to the weekly write ups?

Sam Durdin (Concussion) - test
Declan Watson (Knee) - (TBC)
Ed Vickers-Willis (Knee) season

List updated May 30, 2018
Well if Durds was actually concussed then he should miss this week.

No mention of Daw on the injury list so you would assume its a straight swap of Maj in for Durds- especially given the Lions have some taller forwards.

Ahern or Zurhaar getting a run will require another player being dropped (unlikely) or being managed (a bit more likely).

North Melbourne will give Jarrad Waite and Jed Anderson all the time it can to allow them to prove their fitness ahead of this weekend's clash with Geelong.

Waite was a late withdrawal against Brisbane on Sunday with calf tightness while Anderson experienced hamstring tightness early in the game.

Both players were optimistic about their chances of playing following scans on Monday.

Injury list
Jed Anderson (hamstring tightness) - Test
Jarrad Waite (calf tightness) - Test
Declan Watson (Knee) - TBC
Ed Vickers-Willis (Knee) - Season

North Melbourne will give Jarrad Waite and Jed Anderson all the time it can to allow them to prove their fitness ahead of this weekend's clash with Geelong.

Waite was a late withdrawal against Brisbane on Sunday with calf tightness while Anderson experienced hamstring tightness early in the game.

Both players were optimistic about their chances of playing following scans on Monday.

Injury list
Jed Anderson (hamstring tightness) - Test
Jarrad Waite (calf tightness) - Test
Declan Watson (Knee) - TBC
Ed Vickers-Willis (Knee) - Season
Were playing on a knifes edge.
Garner, Waite and Jed all battling tightness.
Not ripping the hamstring/calf but enough to miss 2 weeks.

Its the colder climate. We had a warm April and then a warm start to May.

Then on the 9th of May temperature dipped below 20 for the first time in 2018. And it stayed there for over 2 weeks before reaching 20 again on the 26th. We had a warm spell of weather for 5 days before last Thursday when it dipped below 20 degrees again to 15 and has stayed below 15 since.
I reckon its what caused Garners issue initially if you look at the weeks hes missed and possibly Waite and and Jed across the weekend.

Coincidence? I think not.

Were playing on a knifes edge.
Garner, Waite and Jed all battling tightness.
Not ripping the hamstring/calf but enough to miss 2 weeks.

Its the colder climate. We had a warm April and then a warm start to May.

Then on the 9th of May temperature dipped below 20 for the first time in 2018. And it stayed there for over 2 weeks before reaching 20 again on the 26th. We had a warm spell of weather for 5 days before last Thursday when it dipped below 20 degrees again to 15 and has stayed below 15 since.
I reckon its what caused Garners issue initially if you look at the weeks hes missed and possibly Waite and and Jed across the weekend.

Coincidence? I think not.
It's not that i don't believe you. It's just that i want Jane Bunn to deliver a second opinion on this.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back