Los Angeles Lakers Thread - The Inagural IST World Champions

Mar 28, 2011
Pluto
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Reds, Lakers, Gold City, Knights
Sounds like part of the deal was for it to go through on July 6. I reckon AD eventually waives his trade kicker, so that'll leave us with about 28mil. We might trade the likes of Bonga/Wagner too, maybe

I just figured that he's a FA, but I'd love to sign someone like Rudy Gay. Don't know how much he'd command, but he's a guy that could come off the bench, provide nice defense, good three point shooting, solid rebounding for his size and a good iso game. Kind of like an Iggy type, but better

Would love a lineup like this:

Darren Collison - Alex Caruso (I still think he can be a great backup PG in the league)
Terrence Ross - Rodney McGruder
LeBron James - Rudy Gay
Anthony Davis - Kyle Kuzma
JaVale McGee - Aron Baynes (if he gets bought out, which I think he does)

That's a squad that provides a nice mix of shooting and defense to surround our two superstars.

On DLo - in isolation I love the idea, he's a 23 year old All-Star that can put up great scoring numbers, can run an offense well, can make big shots and, importantly, can score very well off screens. He could keep us relevant together with AD post-Bron, too. Couple of things though - he requires a high usage rate (was 6th in usage rate percentage last year), will he be that effective with a ball dominant player with Bron in the same lineup? And how can we cover his average defense (I don't see too many great defensive shooting guards on the market other than Danny Green)?

Aug 14, 2005
NoR
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
lakers, nufc, subi, colts
Anyone else sweating on the July 6 deadline? Hoping we included in the AD deal, that the trade was to be official 30 July, to allow that cap space to be $32.5M instead of $23.5M.

We've not current favourites for any FA but if KD & Kyrie both go to the Nets, DLo might make his way back and still give is some $$$ to get some decent depth. With Lebron and AD, we just need some shooters. Lebron is going to be the primary ball handler so PG not a necessity. DLo is a nice fit, albeit feels real awkward.
Heard we messed that bit up on a Bill Simmons podcast last week. Couldn't believe a multi billion dollar franchise like the lakers had no one employed to look after these little cap loopholes

Mar 28, 2011
Pluto
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Heard we messed that bit up on a Bill Simmons podcast last week. Couldn't believe a multi billion dollar franchise like the lakers had no one employed to look after these little cap loopholes
Nope, it came out eventually that the July 6 date was an original agreement of the trade. Woj and Bobby Marks were making s**t up

Saw a couple of reports that Ballmer was paying some of the media to give good coverage of the Clippers over the FA period, in turn giving anti-Lakers coverage. With the BS that the likes of Woj and Windhorst have been reporting, it wouldn't surprise me

Sep 21, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Norwood
Nope, it came out eventually that the July 6 date was an original agreement of the trade. Woj and Bobby Marks were making **** up

Saw a couple of reports that Ballmer was paying some of the media to give good coverage of the Clippers over the FA period, in turn giving anti-Lakers coverage. With the BS that the likes of Woj and Windhorst have been reporting, it wouldn't surprise me

Yeah, what is it with all the anti-Lakers garbage in the media? It has become so annoying I cannot bear to watch these shows any more. They were even suggesting the Lakers may have made an error trading for AD. How can picking up one of the stars of the NBA be a poor decision? And that Woj, what's his story? Everyone treats him like the guru of NBA journalism, but he gets as much wrong as anyone. As for Windhorst, he reminds me of Kent "Flounder" in Animal House.

Can someone explain to me what the Luxury Tax is? Seems to me the Warriors have done pretty well out of it over the past few seasons.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2011
Pluto
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Yeah, what is it with all the anti-Lakers garbage in the media? It has become so annoying I cannot bear to watch these shows any more. They were even suggesting the Lakers may have made an error trading for AD. How can picking up one of the stars of the NBA be a poor decision? And that Woj, what's his story? Everyone treats him like the guru of NBA journalism, but he gets as much wrong as anyone. As for Windhorst, he reminds me of Kent "Flounder" in Animal House.

Can someone explain to me what the Luxury Tax is? Seems to me the Warriors have done pretty well out of it over the past few seasons.
Woj has a lot of connections in the league, but my gut is that he actually doesn't know a whole lot. He switched from the view that the 'Lakers don't have enough assets' before the AD trade happened to 'Pelicans got a great haul' afterwards. He spurts headlines, not necessarily what is right in basketball terms. Shams is much, much more knowledgable and breaks just as much news (although not always the bigger stories)

Pretty sure (although I could be wrong) the luxury tax is the space of money where you can go over the cap to sign free agents that you have bird rights for. Example: Golden State are already over the cap and have to sign Klay to a max, they can do that as they have his bird rights. Once you go past the luxury tax, you can only sign min contracts

Jul 14, 2007
Melbourne, Victoria
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Nope, it came out eventually that the July 6 date was an original agreement of the trade. Woj and Bobby Marks were making **** up

Woj didn't make s**t up at all, it was widely reported and common knowledge that the deal couldn't be official until July 6.

Mar 28, 2011
Pluto
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Woj didn't make **** up at all, it was widely reported and common knowledge that the deal couldn't be official until July 6.
You’re misunderstanding me

Was widely reported that we thought we could do the deal on July 6 without it affecting our cap space (earliest we could do the deal without making trades to have a max slot is July 30). Was then reported that we didn’t even know our own salary cap situation and that we were now ‘scrambling’ to trade Wagner/Bonga and co to open up a max spot - basically trying to report the Lakers FO is extremely incompetent. Later came out that both sides originally agreed to do the deal on July 6, that it was a part of the negotiations (likely would have had to throw in Kuzma if we were to do the deal on July 30)

Basically Woj, Marks and the guys at BSPN tried to make us seem incapable of taking simple precautions

Jul 14, 2007
Melbourne, Victoria
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
You’re misunderstanding me

Was widely reported that we thought we could do the deal on July 6 without it affecting our cap space (earliest we could do the deal without making trades to have a max slot is July 30). Was then reported that we didn’t even know our own salary cap situation and that we were now ‘scrambling’ to trade Wagner/Bonga and co to open up a max spot - basically trying to report the Lakers FO is extremely incompetent. Later came out that both sides originally agreed to do the deal on July 6, that it was a part of the negotiations (likely would have had to throw in Kuzma if we were to do the deal on July 30)

Basically Woj, Marks and the guys at BSPN tried to make us seem incapable of taking simple precautions

That was Ramona Shelbourne, the Lakers own beat reporter.

Dec 2, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
Sounds like part of the deal was for it to go through on July 6. I reckon AD eventually waives his trade kicker, so that'll leave us with about 28mil. We might trade the likes of Bonga/Wagner too, maybe

I just figured that he's a FA, but I'd love to sign someone like Rudy Gay. Don't know how much he'd command, but he's a guy that could come off the bench, provide nice defense, good three point shooting, solid rebounding for his size and a good iso game. Kind of like an Iggy type, but better

Would love a lineup like this:

Darren Collison - Alex Caruso (I still think he can be a great backup PG in the league)
Terrence Ross - Rodney McGruder
LeBron James - Rudy Gay
Anthony Davis - Kyle Kuzma
JaVale McGee - Aron Baynes (if he gets bought out, which I think he does)

That's a squad that provides a nice mix of shooting and defense to surround our two superstars.

On DLo - in isolation I love the idea, he's a 23 year old All-Star that can put up great scoring numbers, can run an offense well, can make big shots and, importantly, can score very well off screens. He could keep us relevant together with AD post-Bron, too. Couple of things though - he requires a high usage rate (was 6th in usage rate percentage last year), will he be that effective with a ball dominant player with Bron in the same lineup? And how can we cover his average defense (I don't see too many great defensive shooting guards on the market other than Danny Green)?
I think Terrance Ross would be an awesome fit

Is gonna want to get paid though

Jun 23, 2008
Headed for Kirribilli House
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red Wings
Jalen Rose (as per today's episode of 'Jalen & Jacoby') believes that the Lakers "already have a 'Big 3'", with Lebron, AD, and Kyle Kuzma.

I mean, really?! If that's how he's perceived by the majority, Kuzma has fast become one of the most overrated players in the league IMO.

Jalen Rose (as per today's episode of 'Jalen & Jacoby') believes that the Lakers "already have a 'Big 3'", with Lebron, AD, and Kyle Kuzma.

I mean, really?! If that's how he's perceived by the majority, Kuzma has fast become one of the most overrated players in the league IMO.
Not a big player.

Sep 21, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Norwood

Good ol' Jalen, always willing to speak so long as it's an idea nobody else has had :)

I agree, the ability is there, but Kuz hasn't done anywhere near enough to earn that accolade as yet. We're all hoping he takes the next step next season.

Do we still have Rondo on our list?

Mar 28, 2011
Pluto
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Good ol' Jalen, always willing to speak so long as it's an idea nobody else has had :)

I agree, the ability is there, but Kuz hasn't done anywhere near enough to earn that accolade as yet. We're all hoping he takes the next step next season.

Do we still have Rondo on our list?
As long as Kuz refines his defense and lifts his shooting back to where it was his rookie year (or above), he’ll be very good

I wouldn’t mind using him as a sixth man at times and playing late in games in a small ball lineup, actually. His scoring impact off the bench could be lethal

Rondo isn’t under contract no, sounds like he won’t be back unless he takes the minimum. For what we need, I don’t think I’d even take him for that

Mar 28, 2011
Pluto
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
So rumours abound that we’re chasing DLo, I’m unsure. He’s definitely what we need as a secondary creator (Bron can’t play all the time, and AD needs a creator next to him to have a winning impact). Can score off the PNR and off screens, can assist, and can spot up (39% on catch and shoot threes). Funnily, for someone I considered not a great defender, Brooklyn were much better defensively when he was on the floor

I wouldn’t mind him, even if his numbers went down from last season, I wouldn’t mind him putting up 18 and 7 a night on improved efficiency. As long as you put a wing 3&D guy next to him I think that lineup would work great. Something like this might be realistic?

PG: D’Angelo Russell - Trey Burke
SG: Wes Matthews - Iman Shumpert
SF: LeBron James - Trevor Ariza
PF: Anthony Davis - Kyle Kuzma
C: JaVale McGee

I’d take Danny Green over Wes, but I think he’ll be too expensive

Mar 28, 2011
Pluto
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
32mil in cap confirmed. Kawhi please, if not it feels like it'll be DLo and another piece (which I'm fine with)

Meanwhile the Knicks are gonna use their space to sign Rozier and Boogie

Would KL by a good fit with lebron and AD?

Reckon he’d be a great fit, but can’t see him wanting to be the third banana.

No doubt we’ll ask the question now though.

Think we’ll focus more on a PG, with Kyrie the obvious option. DLoading more likely though with some money left over to bring in some depth.

Mar 28, 2011
Pluto
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Reckon he’d be a great fit, but can’t see him wanting to be the third banana.

No doubt we’ll ask the question now though.

Think we’ll focus more on a PG, with Kyrie the obvious option. DLoading more likely though with some money left over to bring in some depth.
Yep this. Kyrie's definitely going to go to Brooklyn I think to team up with KD. DLo is a big chance, and would be a nice fit. If we can get a SG with the remaining cap and a center with the RE, that would be great

Sep 28, 2006
QLD
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
LA Lakers,NE Patriots,Liverpool FC
KL news seems real positive, with him seriously considering us. AD would be the 3rd banana IMO.

I see Lebron and KL as our primary ball handlers.

Back