Los Angeles Lakers Thread - The Inagural IST World Champions

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't know where the Lakers are heading. I mean, what is the blueprint for their success? I'll be honest, I don't have a lot of confidence in Pelinka and Magic to suddenly turn the franchise around after this debacle of a season. We haven't made the playoffs since Kobe got injured, and we haven't looked like it. Nothing that has happened this year has given me hope, we've gone backwards. Time to rub it out and start all over again.

Walton's not a good coach. I've been posting this for the past 3 seasons. His rotations are a joke, and the team plays like 5 individuals who haven't got a clue what their roles are, or the roles of their team mates. You watch other teams who whip the ball around, 5 players working together, we see none of that with the Lakers. We have players who think they are GSW the way they toss the ball around. Not much good dishing out a pass to trick the opposition if there's no Lakers player there to receive it. Seen that way too many times. Look away passes are fine, so long as there is someone expecting it to come to them.

Apart from LeBron, no players have any consistency of performance. Too many of them will come out one night and hit 30+ and we think what a good player they are, and the next night they can't manage double figures. The defence is a disgrace. Guys standing around creating big holes in the paint, allowing opposition players to just stroll in and score at will. Well done to KCP who will probably play all 82 games this season, but he is a classic example of someone who hits 25 one night, and follows up with single digits the following night. Kuzma a classic example. 41 points to 3/4 time, 2 nights later he hits 11. Up and down like a yo-yo. Way too many average performances for a player of his ability.

Our foul shooting stinks. I cannot believe professional players who find tremendous difficulty it hitting an acceptable % of free throws. This aspect alone has lost us several games during the year.

We have traded away good players and got bugger-all in return. Williams, d'Lo, Lopez, Randle, Zubac are players all making significant contributions to their new teams while we take on players who nobody else wants. So, we've made all this cap space, but no free agent of any significance wants to play with us, and I cannot blame them. The Lakers are light years away from our next championship. I don't see Butler as much help, maybe Kemba would be a good pick up, but we need a lot more than that. I'm not sure I'd be comfortable offering either of them max deals.

We keep hearing, rightly or wrongly, from the media that the players have been affected by threats of being traded. Sorry guys, you are highly paid professional players, paid to do a job, and until you DO get traded, you are expected to deliver a high performance to the Lakers, not mope around. If that's the sort of player they are, then piss them off.

Kuzma
2017-18: 1242 points in 77 games, ave 16.13
2018-19: 1308 points in 70 games, ave 18.69

Ingram
2017-18: 949 points in 59 games, ave 16.08
2018-19: 949 points in 52 games, ave 18.25

Lonzo
2017-18: 528 points in 52 games, ave 10.15
2018-19: 465 points in 47 games, ave 9.89

The improvement in these players, production wise, has been negligible at best.

We can hope and pray for a bit of luck in the lottery because we are going to need it. I can see us picking up more free agents on 1 year contracts like we did this season and hoping it works out. We've had 6 years in the wilderness, and to be brutally honest, there is nothing to suggest anything is going to improve anytime soon.

I know there are mitigating circumstances, but the bottom line is in 2017-18 we were 35-47 with a very ordinary roster. We secure the services of the best player in the world, and we are 37-44. Not good. Let's hope like hell Pelinka and Magic have something up their sleeves to surprise us.

Can’t be bothered replying to that wall of text, but all hope is not lost. Here’s some facts:
1. Our season was destroyed by injuries
2. We were a top 4 seed before Bron got injured on XMas day, and likely would have stayed that way considering LBJ would have had much-needed continuity
3. Walton is a below average coach not wired to take a team to the playoffs, and will be fired after the season and replaced
4. Ingram was showing true ‘second fiddle’ signs before his blood clot issue
5. We have 30mil+ in cap
6. We will have pick 10/11 in the draft, or higher if we get lucky in the lottery

As long as we don’t make the same signing mistakes again (e.g. giving 21mil combined to Rondo and KCP), we’ll be okay. Even Maglinka couldn’t make the same mistakes again, because despite all of the above, this was still a very poorly constructed roster. They saw it didn’t work out this year, and hopefully recognise something has to change. Seriously, the only guys I would consider bringing back are Caruso (has to come back, he’s been balling out), McGee and maaaaaybe Bullock

Will Walton still be fired? What’s Pelinka’s job security now?

This leaves a lot of unanswered questions

When Magic signed on, he said if he didn't deliver within 2 years, he'd be outta here, so no surprises he is standing down. LeBron cops a lot of crap from all corners about the Lakers not succeeding, but IMHO he was given certain promises when he signed, and these promises were not met. It will be interesting where the franchise goes from here.

Jeanie Buss ? More like Jeanie Bust !

Reckon Magic got tapped on the shoulders just quietly, probably for that whole Anthony Davis fiasco more than anything.

Missing out on Paul George, giving away DLo and Randle for cheap as chips, that is Ernie Grunfeld bad type of MANAGEMENT by Earvin.

Jeanie Buss ? More like Jeanie Bust !

Reckon Magic got tapped on the shoulders just quietly, probably for that whole Anthony Davis fiasco more than anything.

Missing out on Paul George, giving away DLo and Randle for cheap as chips, that is Ernie Grunfeld bad type of MANAGEMENT by Earvin.

I’d * her

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lue and Monty Williams fromtrunners, apparently

As long as we don’t go out and get Kidd or Jackson I’m cool

Wonder if we can have a look at JVG

IMHO, I think the job became more demanding than Magic expected it to be. I heard several months ago he wasn't putting anywhere near enough time into the job, and judging from comments since he stood down, that rumour appears as if it may be true.

Yeah I’m pretty sure, if we don’t make the DLo, Zu and Lou Will trades, as well as re-sign Randle, we look like this:

PG Russell
SG Ingram
SF LeBron
PF Randle
C McGee

With Lou Will, Ball, Zubac and probably Lance off the bench. We’d also have a solid amount of money to sign a Vucevic-type in FA if my calculations are correct, as we wouldn’t have Kuz and Hart and DLo’s cap hold wouldn’t be huge. We really need to strike gold this FA, basically, with a Kyrie/Kawhi or a Jimmy/Kemba type at worst

Some of our trades look bad on paper, but at least I could see why the trades were made in most cases, i.e. d'Lo etc. However, the Williams trade simply mystifies me. I said at the time we would live to regret it, and we have. At the time we traded him to Houston, he was our one and only offensive weapon, someone you could rely upon for consistent offensive performances. We haven't had a good 3&D player since we let him go. I just cannot understand what we were thinking. Trading Lou wasn't a mistake, it was sheer stupidity.

Yeah I’m pretty sure, if we don’t make the DLo, Zu and Lou Will trades, as well as re-sign Randle, we look like this:

PG Russell
SG Ingram
SF LeBron
PF Randle
C McGee

With Lou Will, Ball, Zubac and probably Lance off the bench. We’d also have a solid amount of money to sign a Vucevic-type in FA if my calculations are correct, as we wouldn’t have Kuz and Hart and DLo’s cap hold wouldn’t be huge. We really need to strike gold this FA, basically, with a Kyrie/Kawhi or a Jimmy/Kemba type at worst

Its a real sliding doors thing. If we kept the core, would Lebron have come over? McGee?

Some of our trades look bad on paper, but at least I could see why the trades were made in most cases, i.e. d'Lo etc. However, the Williams trade simply mystifies me. I said at the time we would live to regret it, and we have. At the time we traded him to Houston, he was our one and only offensive weapon, someone you could rely upon for consistent offensive performances. We haven't had a good 3&D player since we let him go. I just cannot understand what we were thinking. Trading Lou wasn't a mistake, it was sheer stupidity.
At the time convinced myself we were loaning him out for a Houston playoff run and he would find his way back soonish. Then he ends up at the clippers. Urgggh

At the time convinced myself we were loaning him out for a Houston playoff run and he would find his way back soonish. Then he ends up at the clippers. Urgggh

I just remember being stunned we would even contemplate trading him. He was the one player who gave the Lakers a spark .... and we traded him. Geez. :rolleyes:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back