Los Angeles Lakers Thread - The Inagural IST World Champions

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 28, 2011
Pluto
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Reds, Lakers, Gold City, Knights
Havent had a chance to watch a whole game for a while due to having a ton of commitments. Ive only watched highlights and checked box scores so Im really interested in your take on how they going.
Id say good overall with Lebron and Davis dominating. Howard playing his role perfectly. Rondo, Kuzmer and KCP up and done like a yoyo. All three contribute, but are insanely inconsistent. KCP hitting the 3 well, but then goes missing too often like against Phenix today. We still need another good defender and shooter, probably iggy and another guard who can penetrate and score. It would be interesting to know what Kuzmer and KCP could get at the trade table. Id trade both to get one consistent defender/shooter who can play the 3 and 4. Iggyy still a must as well to match up on Houston, Clippers and Utah.
Fair thoughts, KCP has been living up to his contract so far IMO (43% from 3 with good D), sure he’ll have games where he goes missing but everyone does. It’s actually been D Green that’s not been performing up to standard recently, but he’ll come good. We need a microwave scorer who can score from 3 levels like Kuzma coming off the bench, so unless we trade him for someone better in that role (Bogdan from Sac could be an option, though if leaves our PF depth thin), I’d be hanging onto him. Rondo, on the other hand, is only a playmaking threat, horrible on D and doesn’t provide spacing. Collison is much more of a need as a better shooter and scorer, but also as someone who can relieve Bron of ball handling duties

If there was one upgrade to make other than that, I’d be looking to upgrade Bradley to someone who’s a true 3&D. AB is obviously such a pesky defender but I’d be willing to forgo a little bit of that to get someone who can shoot from deep at a better than below average rate. He was really good today, though, not a pressing need if it can’t be done

sherrif

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle
Fair thoughts, KCP has been living up to his contract so far IMO (43% from 3 with good D), sure he’ll have games where he goes missing but everyone does. It’s actually been D Green that’s not been performing up to standard recently, but he’ll come good. We need a microwave scorer who can score from 3 levels like Kuzma coming off the bench, so unless we trade him for someone better in that role (Bogdan from Sac could be an option, though if leaves our PF depth thin), I’d be hanging onto him. Rondo, on the other hand, is only a playmaking threat, horrible on D and doesn’t provide spacing. Collison is much more of a need as a better shooter and scorer, but also as someone who can relieve Bron of ball handling duties

If there was one upgrade to make other than that, I’d be looking to upgrade Bradley to someone who’s a true 3&D. AB is obviously such a pesky defender but I’d be willing to forgo a little bit of that to get someone who can shoot from deep at a better than below average rate. He was really good today, though, not a pressing need if it can’t be done
A fit and rested Iggy could yet be a great upgrade in terms of 3 and D on Bradley potentially. Has always taken good shots and defended fantastically in last years NBA Finals. Still think Caruso needs more minutes to show what he can do. Better than Rondo by a long way in my view.

Mar 28, 2011
Pluto
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
A fit and rested Iggy could yet be a great upgrade in terms of 3 and D on Bradley potentially. Has always taken good shots and defended fantastically in last years NBA Finals. Still think Caruso needs more minutes to show what he can do. Better than Rondo by a long way in my view.
Caruso not the playmaker that Rondo is, but is miles better than him in every other way. Definitely needs more minutes

Iggy would be superb, but I don't see how we can get him. Would be an upgrade on Bradley, but if Memphis want a trade for him I can't see how we get it done, we can't match salary

sherrif

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle
Caruso not the playmaker that Rondo is, but is miles better than him in every other way. Definitely needs more minutes

Iggy would be superb, but I don't see how we can get him. Would be an upgrade on Bradley, but if Memphis want a trade for him I can't see how we get it done, we can't match salary
I think it will take a left field trade where the trade only happens if his contract is bought out and he is waived. Something like multiple future second rounders and quinn cook in exchange for Iggy. Cooks playing very little. Iggy could also agree for less money if the Lakers offered a guaranteed job once his playing days were over, either assistant coach or in management. I think he is a must get for the playoffs. Last year he was one of the most effective defenders on both Harden and Leonard in the whole league and he never takes bad shots.

Mar 28, 2011
Pluto
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
We absolutely need Darren Collison, Rondo is ass

Other than that our top 10 man rotation is fine IMO
Just extending on this - who do we think some other trade targets could be for the deadline? Particularly if we miss out on Collison (which I don't think we do)?

Some names that intrigue me include:
Derrick Rose (penetrating, dynamic guard scorer who can run an offense well)
Alec Burks (shot creator and volume shooter, both from inside and from deep, who can play solid defense)
Robert Covington (wing defender who can shoot the three)
Dennis Smith Jr (reclamation project as a penetrating point guard, would probably be an upgrade on Rondo anyway haha)
Jae Crowder (wing defender primarily, although didn't work well with Bron first time around?)
And obviously Iggy

The most intriguing ones for me are Burks and Covington, probably the guys that IMO make the most difference to our squad. Burks could be had for cheap (might only need to give up THT or some 2nds), while Covington would probably cost us Kuzma (but would be worth it IMO, would fit like a glove). Rose interests greatly too, but only if we miss out on Collison

sherrif

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle
Just extending on this - who do we think some other trade targets could be for the deadline? Particularly if we miss out on Collison (which I don't think we do)?

Some names that intrigue me include:
Derrick Rose (penetrating, dynamic guard scorer who can run an offense well)
Alec Burks (shot creator and volume shooter, both from inside and from deep, who can play solid defense)
Robert Covington (wing defender who can shoot the three)
Dennis Smith Jr (reclamation project as a penetrating point guard, would probably be an upgrade on Rondo anyway haha)
Jae Crowder (wing defender primarily, although didn't work well with Bron first time around?)
And obviously Iggy

The most intriguing ones for me are Burks and Covington, probably the guys that IMO make the most difference to our squad. Burks could be had for cheap (might only need to give up THT or some 2nds), while Covington would probably cost us Kuzma (but would be worth it IMO, would fit like a glove). Rose interests greatly too, but only if we miss out on Collison
The latest rumours on the Lakers revolves around Kuzma being traded.
Some of the scenarios include:
Markieff Morris and D Rose for Kuzma, and Cook while increasing payroll and going into luxury tax land. Morris 3.5 mill and Rose 7mill both on good contracts.
Kuzma and Cook for Bogdan Bogdanovic Cooks needed to make salaries even remotely work.
Kuzma, Cousins and Cook for Covington from the T wolves. Covington is going to get traded. If we added Covington and Iggy thats some great defence.
Memphis wants a first round pick to trade Iggy if they buy out his contract. Just before the trade deadline if we trade 2020 first and another future second id do that if it meant buying out contract and signing iggy for vet minimum. Can defend and play on positions 1-4.
Would give us another shooter and key defender for the likes of George, Leornard and Harden.
Collison id like too. Maybe if Rondo agrees to retire and start a career as an assistant coach now. Looks much slower lately.
Possible roster playoffs
Starting five
Iggy (for defence on stars)
Green
James
Davis
Mcgee

Bench
Rose 26min second unit leader
Howard
Morris
Caruso
Bradley
Collison or Rondo
KCP perhaps trade him too if right deal comes up.

Last edited:

sherrif

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle
Im neither here nor there about kuz getting traded. part of me wants to keep him as he is a real talent.
Yeah he is I agree. Maybe KCP for Rose? Works with salaries. Trade Cook and a 2020 1st for Iggy provided Memphis pay out his contact bar vet minimum.
Current team with Iggy and Rose off the bench but no KCP looks better balanced to me. Iggy takes KCP minutes. Rose takes all of Rondo's and some of Bradley's. 22minutes a game ish for Rose. Bench group of Rose, Caruso, Kuzma, Howard and iggy for six or so minutes a game. Measn LeBron and Davis spend a bit more time on the court together.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2011
Pluto
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Yeah he is I agree. Maybe KCP for Rose? Works with salaries. Trade Cook and a 2020 1st for Iggy provided Memphis pay out his contact bar vet minimum.
Current team with Iggy and Rose off the bench but no KCP looks better balanced to me. Iggy takes KCP minutes. Rose takes all of Rondo's and some of Bradley's. 22minutes a game ish for Rose. Bench group of Rose, Caruso, Kuzma, Howard and iggy for six or so minutes a game. Measn LeBron and Davis spend a bit more time on the court together.
We can't trade KCP, has a no trade clause in his contract. I'm pretty sure we can't trade our 2020 1st for some reason, either

Kuzma and THT are our two main assets, as well as 2nd round picks. Reckon the ones that we'll look to trade if we want to improve the squad are Kuz, Bradley, Cook, Daniels and THT. That's if we look to upgrade at all, we're doing pretty well as is haha

Sep 21, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Norwood
We can't trade KCP, has a no trade clause in his contract. I'm pretty sure we can't trade our 2020 1st for some reason, either

Kuzma and THT are our two main assets, as well as 2nd round picks. Reckon the ones that we'll look to trade if we want to improve the squad are Kuz, Bradley, Cook, Daniels and THT. That's if we look to upgrade at all, we're doing pretty well as is haha

I'm not sure where we are with Kuzma. When he burst onto the scene as a rookie, I thought we had a potential superstar on our hands, allowing for natural improvement. Over the past couple of seasons, he's floated in and out, some nights offering SFA, other nights showing glimpses of his potential. Part of me says we'd be nuts to trade him, but I do wonder if we'll ever get the best out of him. Some may think this is a strange comment, but I've always been suspicious of players who make dramatic changes to their appearance mid-season, as if their minds aren't really on the job. People in Lakerland know more about him than I do, so I'll trust their judgement.

Pedantic

Club Legend
Jun 7, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne

That is unbelievable

Mar 28, 2011
Pluto
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
This team, man

Kuz with 36 points vs OKC, think Vogel needs to give him more minutes (30 a game) so he can become that dynamic three level scorer off the bench, just like Lou Will is for the Clips

At this point, I'd probably be signing Collison, waiving Daniels and that's it, can't mess with this chemistry. Unless you trade THT for someone like Burks for another scoring, shot creating punch, but even that's not needed

sherrif

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle
This team, man

Kuz with 36 points vs OKC, think Vogel needs to give him more minutes (30 a game) so he can become that dynamic three level scorer off the bench, just like Lou Will is for the Clips

At this point, I'd probably be signing Collison, waiving Daniels and that's it, can't mess with this chemistry. Unless you trade THT for someone like Burks for another scoring, shot creating punch, but even that's not needed
Gotta admit. I agree now. Yep Rondo was great too. One of the reason why there was speculation on trading Kuzma was that he hadnt meshed well when on the floor with Davis with a terrible +- difference compared to Davis and the rest of the team. Watching the New Oreleans game it seems pretty obvious that Kuzma plays a similar tole to Davis when he plays his best b/b in terms of creating off the high post for the best part. THe answer could be to give an all bench five a few more minutes with Kuzma the focus on offence and then have Davis and Lebron on the court together a bit more too. Either way a great showing by a team minus stars. Collins and Iggy if possible the only trades/ additions. Chemistry is awesome so they shouldnt mess with it. You're right and my previous post was wrong Danger in Texas. Great insight. Thanx.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mar 28, 2011
Pluto
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Good to see Cook with 22 points today. I'd like to see him get more court time, certainly a more consistent shooter than Kuzma.
Yeah Kuzma's inability to provide a consistent scoring game could really hurt us down the track, even if he does have some absolutely lights out games

You know who is a more consistent scorer (albeit less of a shooter)? DRose

sherrif

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle
Yeah Kuzma's inability to provide a consistent scoring game could really hurt us down the track, even if he does have some absolutely lights out games

You know who is a more consistent scorer (albeit less of a shooter)? DRose
Got a mad keen basketball friend who works in LA and knows a few in the media. He said the Lakers are being more closely linked to Covington in the lead up to trade deadline. One rumour from the media was a trade of Kuzma and Cousins for Covington and future picks with enough currency to assist the Lakers getting a deal done for Iggy, provided Memphis would pay out his contract minus the vet minimum the Lakers would pay him. Eg Twolves picks and Bradley combined with an unknown extra Lakers pick. Or something like that was what he said he had heard.

Mar 28, 2011
Pluto
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Got a mad keen basketball friend who works in LA and knows a few in the media. He said the Lakers are being more closely linked to Covington in the lead up to trade deadline. One rumour from the media was a trade of Kuzma and Cousins for Covington and future picks with enough currency to assist the Lakers getting a deal done for Iggy, provided Memphis would pay out his contract minus the vet minimum the Lakers would pay him. Eg Twolves picks and Bradley combined with an unknown extra Lakers pick. Or something like that was what he said he had heard.
Interesting, Covington would be a big addition but it's a question of whether Kuzma for Covington in the rotation is a sideways move or not. Better defense, but not as good shooting (although I'd love to look up Cov's % on corner 3's)

Probably would mean our 10-man playoff rotation looks similar to this:

LeBron - Rondo/Collison?
Green - Caruso
Iguodala - KCP
Davis - Covington
McGee - Howard

Don't mind it, although I'm not sold on Covington at the 4, I wouldn't mind moving Cook and a 2nd for someone like Markieff Morris in that situation

sherrif

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle
Interesting, Covington would be a big addition but it's a question of whether Kuzma for Covington in the rotation is a sideways move or not. Better defense, but not as good shooting (although I'd love to look up Cov's % on corner 3's)

Probably would mean our 10-man playoff rotation looks similar to this:

LeBron - Rondo/Collison?
Green - Caruso
Iguodala - KCP
Davis - Covington
McGee - Howard

Don't mind it, although I'm not sold on Covington at the 4, I wouldn't mind moving Cook and a 2nd for someone like Markieff Morris in that situation
Ive watched a fair bit of Covington over the years. He'll almost certainly hit his threes at a better rate than Kuzma when left wide open. He really doesnt get many open threes in Twolves offence as they lack players who can dribble and create at an elite level. Really like him at both the 3 and the 4 on defence. They'll probably get an extra backup 4 too anyway. Perhaps in a trade for Cook. If of course rumours are true. Decent chance still thats not the case.

Mar 28, 2011
Pluto
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
I wonder what it could’ve looked like with cousins fully fit. Less mins for Dwight and McGee probably
Well for one, I doubt we signed Dwight. McGee would've been the starter still with Cousins getting D39's minutes and some, I reckon

Our defense and rim protection wouldn't look nearly as good, but DMC of course would've provided more of an offensive threat. Probably changes the identity of our team somewhat

Mar 28, 2011
Pluto
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Welp, that's the worst loss of the season. No effort

Think a trade for D Rose needs to happen now. Kuz just can't put out a consistent scoring effort. Trade Kuz, Cook and Daniels for Rose and Markieff Morris, and sign a shooter (maybe Allen Crabbe gets bought out?)

PG: LeBron James - Derrick Rose - Rajon Rondo
SG: Avery Bradley - Alex Caruso - Allen Crabbe
SF: Danny Green - Kentavious Caldwell-Pope - Talen Horton-Tucker
PF: Anthony Davis - Markieff Morris - Jared Dudley
C: JaVale McGee - Dwight Howard - DeMarcus Cousins

Sep 21, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Norwood
I am slowly giving up hope of expecting consistent performances from Kuzma. Hate to harp on it, I said it at the time, will keep on saying it, it was a huge mistake trading Lou Williams to the Rockets in 2016-17. He's just what we need right now. We needed him then, we've needed him ever since, but for some reason we traded him.

Mar 28, 2011
Pluto
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
I am slowly giving up hope of expecting consistent performances from Kuzma. Hate to harp on it, I said it at the time, will keep on saying it, it was a huge mistake trading Lou Williams to the Rockets in 2016-17. He's just what we need right now. We needed him then, we've needed him ever since, but for some reason we traded him.
That was Magic's first move, I believe. I understand we thought it was the best idea in regards to tanking, but we probably would still have been a losing side nonetheless. Lou Will's kind of production is what I expected/hoped to get from Kuz, but that hasn't happened

Rose needs to come in and be our Lou Will

Sep 21, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Norwood
That was Magic's first move, I believe. I understand we thought it was the best idea in regards to tanking, but we probably would still have been a losing side nonetheless. Lou Will's kind of production is what I expected/hoped to get from Kuz, but that hasn't happened

Rose needs to come in and be our Lou Will

Tanking? We were 19-39 at the time. The guy was coming off the bench and hitting 20+ consistently, including one period of 5 games where he scored 40, 38, 24, 35, 24 .... all losing games!!!! And we traded him to Houston where he couldn't get the ball off Hog Harden. As I said, it just never made any sense.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back