The Official New York Knicks Thread - 'The Official New York Knicks Thread - At Least We Didn't Get Swept

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 23, 2008
Headed for Kirribilli House
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red Wings
Kanter off the bench for me, Robinson gets in foul trouble but his energy with Vonleh is great. Get mins into him and Kanter off the bench has been great against the 2nd string of other sides

Fair enough.

Apparently a Burke/Hardaway/Hezonja/Vonleh/Robinson line-up hasn't played a single minute together this season, either.

Can you half tell I want Burke to be getting the majority of minutes at the point, and for Hezonja to get more time at the 3? :D

Kanter has been great off the bench, mentioned above, but his defence isn't fantastic, but still cleans up the board nicely.

He's arguably the best offensive rebounder in the league, and has the skills to turn those second chances into scores for himself, or pass out to the perimeter for a shot or reset, too.

Whether that's more valuable with the starters or the bench is up for debate.

Jun 18, 2008
Hewett, Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
MUFC,BristolR, GB,Duke,LAA,NYK
Fair enough.

Apparently a Burke/Hardaway/Hezonja/Vonleh/Robinson line-up hasn't played a single minute together this season, either.

Can you half tell I want Burke to be getting the majority of minutes at the point, and for Hezonja to get more time at the 3? :D
I like Burke offensively more than Mudiay but i like Mudiay more defensively.
I wouldn't be mad if they went that way but i would rather start Ntkilina and give him this year to see what he has before free agency.
You took him high in the draft and he's never got a fair go at it, give him a couple weeks to show his worth.

Dons4days

Club Legend
Dec 1, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
New York Knicks, Dallas Cowboys
Hezonja was touted pre-draft as a smooth Tracy McGrady-type big guard/perimeter swingman, but has weirdly played a fair chunk of his career minutes (32% overall, and 56% over the last two seasons, according to Basketball Reference) at the 4 position. When I queried this with Magic fans last season, it was indicated that this is where he's been most effective, however it would still be good to see him get a solid run at the 2/3 spots, just to see what he can actually do there, without the rebounding and defensive responsibilities that come with playing the 4.
Hezonja has been a massive defensive liability over the last few games having played on Griffin & Simmons & you can see his frustration growing the more he has to play on these types. I agree, he should be given more more time at the 2 or 3 & I'd really like to see him take a few more 3's... He seems very hesitant to shoot them at the moment.

Jun 23, 2008
Headed for Kirribilli House
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red Wings
I like Burke offensively more than Mudiay but i like Mudiay more defensively.
I wouldn't be mad if they went that way but i would rather start Ntkilina and give him this year to see what he has before free agency.
You took him high in the draft and he's never got a fair go at it, give him a couple weeks to show his worth.

I feel like they need to decide between Mudiay and Ntilikina at some point though, because they're very similar players. In that regard, given that he's essentially 2-3 HS/draft classes younger (1998-1999 birth, as opposed to 1995-1996 with Mudiay) will Ntilikina be as good as or better than Mudiay in 2-3 years time?

Mudiay had similar struggles in his first two years in the league, but even then, he still wasn't as bad statistically. Can Ntilikina surpass Mudiay, despite coming from further back?

They can persist with the current 3-PG rotation this season, but I don't think that will really afford any of them the playing time and "keys to the car" they'll need to really stamp themselves as "the guy" going forward.

IMO, I'd trade Ntilikina while he's still perceived to have value for other teams, start Burke, and rotate Mudiay through when match-ups require it.

Hezonja has been a massive defensive liability over the last few games having played on Griffin & Simmons & you can see his frustration growing the more he has to play on these types. I agree, he should be given more more time at the 2 or 3 & I'd really like to see him take a few more 3's... He seems very hesitant to shoot them at the moment.

Yeah, Hezonja just doesn't have the size or strength to play against genuine bigs. There's no need for it either, given the other players on the roster (Vonleh, Knox, Thomas, Kornet, Kanter, Robinson), and Hezonja's athleticism and genuine ability to play on the perimeter if given the chance.

I think teams get caught up in the "small ball"/"positionless" trend, without considering if they have the appropriate personnel to make it work, or even if it's not actually working.

Dons4days

Club Legend
Dec 1, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
New York Knicks, Dallas Cowboys
I feel like they need to decide between Mudiay and Ntilikina at some point though, because they're very similar players. In that regard, given that he's essentially 2-3 HS/draft classes younger (1998-1999 birth, as opposed to 1995-1996 with Mudiay) will Ntilikina be as good as or better than Mudiay in 2-3 years time?

Mudiay had similar struggles in his first two years in the league, but even then, he still wasn't as bad statistically. Can Ntilikina surpass Mudiay, despite coming from further back?

They can persist with the current 3-PG rotation this season, but I don't think that will really afford any of them the playing time and "keys to the car" they'll need to really stamp themselves as "the guy" going forward.

IMO, I'd trade Ntilikina while he's still perceived to have value for other teams, start Burke, and rotate Mudiay through when match-ups require it.

Yeah, Hezonja just doesn't have the size or strength to play against genuine bigs. There's no need for it either, given the other players on the roster (Vonleh, Knox, Thomas, Kornet, Kanter, Robinson), and Hezonja's athleticism and genuine ability to play on the perimeter if given the chance.

I think teams get caught up in the "small ball"/"positionless" trend, without considering if they have the appropriate personnel to make it work, or even if it's not actually working.
Without KP we're really lacking interior defence at the moment & it's really been evident in our last few games with Robinson getting into foul trouble so quickly. Small ball is all well & good but you still need the ability to go big with you come up against match ups like Drummond/Griffin & Simmons/Embiid.

As for the point guard situation I'd be starting Mudiay & play him for longer as he can't seem to get into a real grove with the erratic minutes being divided up between the 3 point guards. Unfortunately I just don't see it with Frank anymore... I'd actually look to trade him if you can net anything of value & give Dotson some more playing time.

Fultz could be worth taking a look at if the price is right & they think they can get him back to his best as I really don't think any of the point guards on the roster as our future.

Dec 5, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Knicks, Giants
Sorry to intrude but i have settled on the Knicks as my NBA team.
Im relatively new to following basketball.
I tried to follow the 76ers mainly due to Simmons but i did some research into why they are called the 76ers and its obviously very American which put me off haha.
I come from a dutch background so the Knickerbockers makes sence for me.
I like that the Knicks are a young team that will get better soon as well.
I like that they are a big team that will attract a big name FA soon.

Santoz

Chief's Public Enemy #1
30k Posts 10k Posts Freeze MND Challenge 2021 Chess Club Member
Mar 10, 2006
Weir Stables
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Baghdad Bombers
I don't feel we'll trade Ntillikina anytime soon as his on ball defense is excellent for someone his age. I think they're happy to develop his offensive side of his game in time and I don't see us trading him any time soon.

Definitely wouldn't take a risk on Fultz. If having 3 PGs is an issue now I don't see why trading one and then bringing in another with serious mental demons is going to work.

I think we're happy to let Burke come off the bench and drive the scoring in the second unit. In saying that, if Trier continues to develop it might be a nice little one/two combo off the bench in that regard.

When KP is back I think we'll see more lineups of ...

Frank/Timmy/Knox/KP/Robinson - 3 players in that lineups that can create their own shot, with Frank playing lockdown defense or exploiting the pick & roll with Robinson.

Second unit would look like ...

Mudiay(Burke)/Trier/Dotson/Vonleah/Kanter - Again, 3 or so players that can create their own shot. Vonleah providing the bulk of the interior defense. Dotson can play good defense and space the floor as he knocks down the 3 pretty well. I see Mudiay turning into a nice little Dennis Schroder type asset in this system.

Who knows what pick we'll end up with this year also. Hopefully we continue the tank & RJ Barrett is available at our pick as I see him replacing Hardaway at the SG long term.

Santoz

Chief's Public Enemy #1
Mar 10, 2006
Weir Stables
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Baghdad Bombers
Theres articles today linking us to John Wall

Wall sounds nice, but I'm not sure he's what we need going forward. Would rather keep Mudiay there and full on tank in the hope we get a Top 3 pick and Mudiay improves into a serviceable starting PG.

Sep 7, 2005
Firing GarPax
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, Chicago Bulls
Sorry to intrude but i have settled on the Knicks as my NBA team.
Im relatively new to following basketball.
I tried to follow the 76ers mainly due to Simmons but i did some research into why they are called the 76ers and its obviously very American which put me off haha.
I come from a dutch background so the Knickerbockers makes sence for me.
I like that the Knicks are a young team that will get better soon as well.
I like that they are a big team that will attract a big name FA soon.
My condolences

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jun 18, 2008
Hewett, Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Ifyou didn’t have to give up this years first I can kinda see why you would do a Wall trade (his contract is grotesque and his performance doesn’t match his salary and it’s only going to get worse)

Zion + Poringod + Wall could be fun
Aint happening now. Wall is done :D

Jul 14, 2007
Melbourne, Victoria
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
What do y'all make of the Enis Kanter beef, wants to play more but is being benched. IMO he was one of our better players in the early season.

A turnstile offers more resistance than Kanter does, he should be playing more if the Knicks are serious about tanking.

Although I hope he doesn't and the Knicks win enough games to finish with the 6th worst record while Chicago drafts Zion.

Jun 18, 2008
Hewett, Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
What do y'all make of the Enis Kanter beef, wants to play more but is being benched. IMO he was one of our better players in the early season.
He gotta defend better if he wants more mins. I'd rather just give mins to Robinson and try and develop him. Issue is he gets into foul trouble

Santoz

Chief's Public Enemy #1
Mar 10, 2006
Weir Stables
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Baghdad Bombers
Yeah Kornet playing well in his first start the other day doesn't help the cause of Kanter wanting more minutes either.

Thing is, Knicks need to be getting minutes into Kornet to keep the tank rolling.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back