2nds The Official Port Board Thread for the Discussion of the Port Power Seconds Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Clearing the way for the SANFL to get rid of the academy side ?
3 coaches gone already .

Right... There were talks of that. What is the difference between PAFC's Academy and SANFL clubs' Reserve squads?

Right... There were talks of that. What is the difference between PAFC's Academy and SANFL clubs' Reserve squads?
That's their 2nds team but our 3rds because we have an AFL side and the other SANFL clubs don't.

That's their 2nds team but our 3rds because we have an AFL side and the other SANFL clubs don't.

I'm aware of that, but would the difference be merely roster size? If so, why would we need to close the Academy?

I'm aware of that, but would the difference be merely roster size? If so, why would we need to close the Academy?
If our SANFL side has too many AFL listed players 1-3 AFL listed players max (if our list doesn't have injuries) can play in the Academy.

We also have 15 SANFL listed players as well as about 30 Academy players that can all play in the Academy.

I'd imagine the other SANFL clubs don't like Port Adelaide and want to kill us off.

Their rumoured demands over the last few years include no zones or junior sides, no Academy side, no home ground for our SANFL games and no prison bars as well as capping our AFL listed players in SANFL games.

If our SANFL side has too many AFL listed players 1-3 AFL listed players max (if our list doesn't have injuries) can play in the Academy.

We also have 15 SANFL listed players as well as about 30 Academy players that can all play in the Academy.

I'd imagine the other SANFL clubs don't like Port Adelaide and want to kill us off.

Their rumoured demands over the last few years include no zones or junior sides, no Academy side, no home ground for our SANFL games and no prison bars as well as capping our AFL listed players in SANFL games.

Those rumors cannot be all serious...

Those rumors cannot be all serious...
Well they got their way with the no zones, junior sides and capping our side in finals. (Apologies for going off topic).

Well they got their way with the no zones, junior sides and capping our side in finals. (Apologies for going off topic).

What do you mean by "junior sides?"

I'm sorry for going off-topic, too. Just trying to understand those issues.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Time to look at joining the VFL and leave the SNAFL

Port has been excluded from

Fantastic! I thought that only we the Gauchos (people from South Rio Grande state) were able to such a display of stupidity.

Let me put it differently. Imagine there is a situation with three options:

a) In option A, you get THREE, but your neighbor gets FOUR;
b) In option B, you get TWO, but your neighbor gets TWO too;
c) In option C, you get ONE, but your neighbor gets ZERO.

Well, people around here seem to act as if option C were the best, and A, the worst.

Last edited:
In the not too distant future, I bet the reserves level will be removed from the SANFL.

When they realise they are already reserves level?

I may be wrong, but doesn't SANFL participation involve our full list - including rookies and Cat 'B' players?
In 2017 we had access to 45 in all that could have played SANFL, and in a couple of cases we got permission for Ladhams, Irra and (maybe) Hewett to play in the Academy side.

If there is no Academy side next year, how would this affectt the Magpies' roster?

Where I was once against there not being a Maggie's team in the sanfl I am now in favour of it, an AFL reserves comp can't come quick enough, and won't it be interesting to see how far Wicker ball would fall without its biggest draw card. :rolleyes:

No academy side means you don't offer Chen and others from China an international scholarship as there is nobody for him to train and play with, if we don't put a side into the Adelaide footy league or somewhere else.

No academy side means you don't offer Chen and others from China an international scholarship as there is nobody for him to train and play with, if we don't put a side into the Adelaide footy league or somewhere else.

If no SANFL, there are other options. Is that it?

Where I was once against there not being a Maggie's team in the sanfl I am now in favour of it, an AFL reserves comp can't come quick enough, and won't it be interesting to see how far Wicker ball would fall without its biggest draw card. :rolleyes:

AFL reserves would mean the end of the Port Adelaide Magpies, wouldn't it?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back