2nds The Official Port Board Thread for the Discussion of the Port Power Seconds Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Would this rumoured push to wear the PBs regularly in the AFL be, at least partially, aimed to soften the blow when we finally exit the SANFL? Maybe the club knows that an exit from the SANFL comps is imminent (next few years).

If no SANFL, there are other options. Is that it?
If no SANFL there are other options but they are worse than the current set up because these other leagues in SA are lower standard and if we played in the VFL it would be a lot more expensive.

The club needs a B grade team to play in a competition somewhere. It probably doesn't need a C grade team. If a national reserves competition is formed the Magpies name will go and the AFL would probably stop the prison bar guernsey being worn. If the club doesn't have a C grade then they are both dead, buried and cremated to quote Tony Abbott.

Would this rumoured push to wear the PBs regularly in the AFL be, at least partially, aimed to soften the blow when we finally exit the SANFL? Maybe the club knows that an exit from the SANFL comps is imminent (next few years).

Being part of it in the state level and its rival in the national level, that is simply unsustainable.

No academy side means you don't offer Chen and others from China an international scholarship as there is nobody for him to train and play with, if we don't put a side into the Adelaide footy league or somewhere else.
Is one option to create a side in the Adelaide footy league (incl reserves), that incorporates multicultural and indigenous academy players plus promising juniors and "sons of" in them, any of whom, if good enough, could gain a pathway to SANFL or AFL port sides?

Is one option to create a side in the Adelaide footy league (incl reserves), that incorporates multicultural and indigenous academy players plus promising juniors and "sons of" in them, any of whom, if good enough, could gain a pathway to SANFL or AFL port sides?
Its an option but how realistic it is would be the question. Any side Port puts in to that league probably has to start in Div 6 or 7 and work it's way up the league.

AFL reserves would mean the end of the Port Adelaide Magpies, wouldn't it?
If we played home games at Alberton still then it's fine by me. Don't care if it's vs Norwood in the SANFL or Footscray in an AFL reserves comp.

I guess cost would be the number 1 road block. Surely the AFL can afford it via plane sponsorships?

EG: The Power play Fremantle at Adelaide Oval and the Maggies play Peel Thunder at Alberton the day after.

Or away we play at Perth Stadium for AFL and the Maggies play Peel at their ground (Rushton Park) the day after.

If we played home games at Alberton still then it's fine by me. Don't care if it's vs Norwood in the SANFL or Footscray in an AFL reserves comp.

I guess cost would be the number 1 road block. Surely the AFL can afford it via plane sponsorships?

EG: The Power play Fremantle at Adelaide Oval and the Maggies play Peel Thunder at Alberton the day after.

Or away we play at Perth Stadium for AFL and the Maggies play Peel at their ground (Rushton Park) the day after.

I'm all for an AFL reserves comp but one issue I can see arising is us wearing black & white and being the Magpies in a comp that Collingwood is also in.

I mean we would rightfully fight for those rights in an AFL reserves comp but if it wasn't for Collingwood then we would wear black & white in the AFL every week.

To be honest it would be pretty cool to be playing clubs like Collingwood at Alberton, albeit their reserves against ours.

A chance to help them understand the depth of our club.

Any fringe players looking to move will have a better understanding of what we offer.

If the AFL was happy to let, say, Casey continue to be Melbourne's reserves team but known as Casey, it shouldn't have a problem with Port Adelaide Power's reserve team being the Port Adelaide Magpies.

But with more and more teams breaking away from having VFL affiliates, I think the AFL would push for every single reserves team to be the same name and mascot as their AFL equivalent, in which case, its ****ed.

If the AFL was happy to let, say, Casey continue to be Melbourne's reserves team but known as Casey, it shouldn't have a problem with Port Adelaide Power's reserve team being the Port Adelaide Magpies.

But with more and more teams breaking away from having VFL affiliates, I think the AFL would push for every single reserves team to be the same name and mascot as their AFL equivalent, in which case, its ******.
Casey was a separate legal entity before Melbourne signed an affiliation agreement with them. That's the difference. Plus the VFL is a different league to the AFL. So it would be up to the VFL if we played as the Port Adelaide Magpies not the AFL. We wouldn't be allowed to split brands if the AFL sets up a national reserves comp.

Casey was a separate legal entity before Melbourne signed an affiliation agreement with them. That's the difference. Plus the VFL is a different league to the AFL. So it would be up to the VFL if we played as the Port Adelaide Magpies not the AFL. We wouldn't be allowed to split brands if the AFL sets up a national reserves comp.

I wasn't really clear, but I meant if the AFL did a National Reserves League (NRL?)

Like, if there was one, and the AFL allowed Melbourne's reserve side to be the Casey Demons, it would set a precedent that we could surely argue that having ours be the Port Adelaide Magpies wouldn't be a problem. Whether the AFL would allow it would be the question, but we'd at least have a leg to stand on in that regard.

The thing is, the AFL and VFL are seemingly moving away from reserves affiliations - North Melbourne wont be affiliated with Werribee next year, and if there was any team that needed an affiliation, you would think it would be North Melbourne, so I suspect that if this Reserves League ever came about, they would rule that Melbourne's reserves would have to be Melbourne, which would kill our precedent, if that makes sense.

I wasn't really clear, but I meant if the AFL did a National Reserves League (NRL?)

Like, if there was one, and the AFL allowed Melbourne's reserve side to be the Casey Demons, it would set a precedent that we could surely argue that having ours be the Port Adelaide Magpies wouldn't be a problem. Whether the AFL would allow it would be the question, but we'd at least have a leg to stand on in that regard.

The thing is, the AFL and VFL are seemingly moving away from reserves affiliations - North Melbourne wont be affiliated with Werribee next year, and if there was any team that needed an affiliation, you would think it would be North Melbourne, so I suspect that if this Reserves League ever came about, they would rule that Melbourne's reserves would have to be Melbourne, which would kill our precedent, if that makes sense.

I think AFL wouldn't care if teams split brands. Our problem is that Collingwood wouldn't allow us to be "the Magpies" nor black-and-white (personally, I don't see why this would be an issue, but that's me). For instance, if we were silver-black-white and called "the Pirates," I believe AFL couldn't care less.

The same would work for "Ballarat-Footscray Bulldogs," "Fitzroy Lions," "Hobart Kangaroos," "Northern Tasmania Hawks," "Darwin Demons," etc. It would work even if they adopt other nicknames — although I don't think they would do it for commercial reasons. (Still, one can find examples: NBA — Detroit Pistons' Reserves are the "Grand Rapids Drive;" MLS — Philadelphia Union's Reserves are the "Bethlehem Steel;" etc.)

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-11-02/no-plans-for-national-reserves-comp-says-afl-chief

No plans for national reserves comp, says AFL chief

The League chief executive confirmed his team is looking at the second tier of football, but an "expensive" national reserves competition is not on the radar.

"I think it's challenging logistically and financially to have a national reserves competition and I think it would be to the detriment of the local competitions of the SANFL and the WAFL," McLachlan said in Adelaide on Thursday.

"People have a view about Port and Adelaide being in the SANFL but I think it loses something if they weren't here, that's my personal view," McLachlan said.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-11-02/no-plans-for-national-reserves-comp-says-afl-chief

The League chief executive confirmed his team is looking at the second tier of football, but an "expensive" national reserves competition is not on the radar.

"I think it's challenging logistically and financially to have a national reserves competition and I think it would be to the detriment of the local competitions of the SANFL and the WAFL," McLachlan said in Adelaide on Thursday.

"People have a view about Port and Adelaide being in the SANFL but I think it loses something if they weren't here, that's my personal view," McLachlan said.

In brief, Victorians do not want it.

However, if non-Victorians clubs agree to form their on Development League, perhaps...

It'd be too expensive, impossible w/o AFL backing.

Then, we are stuck within SANFL.

P.S.: Adelaide is close enough to Melbourne for us to play in the VFL (it the parties agree on us becoming a member, that is).

Last edited:
Then, we are stuck within SANFL.

P.S.: Adelaide is close enough to Melbourne for us to play in the VFL (it the parties agree on us becoming a member, there is).
Still difficult. Why would Vic teams want to travel to Adelaide every second week? They don't need it. And it wouldn't be wise or practical for us to play away in Victoria every week.

If less money was going to the WAFL / SANFL as the AFL sides are playing in a national reserve competition it's not that much more surely. The advantages of consistent rules (the reserves could be used as a pathway for umpires as well), the same level of competition (roughly) between sides, rather than the QLD and NSW sides tending to beat up their opponents in their state make it worthwhile.

Gil staying tight with his boys at the SNAFL. :mad:

Still difficult. Why would Vic teams want to travel to Adelaide every second week? They don't need it. And it wouldn't be wise or practical for us to play away in Victoria every week.
A Victorian side every week, not every Vic side every second week. With 10 Vic sides, if it was just us and Adelaide in the VFL they'd travel once every 5 weeks. Hardly ball breaking.

A Victorian side every week, not every Vic side every second week. With 10 Vic sides, if it was just us and Adelaide in the VFL they'd travel once every 5 weeks. Hardly ball breaking.
True. But some VFL sides are not affiliated to AFL sides, for those interest in travelling to play us and/or the crows would be even less.

So basically, if we're going to have a national reserves competition, we'll have to wait for a change of AFL CEO. Meanwhile, we have ideas like AFLX and the Gold Coast Suns being foisted upon us. Great.
A reserves competition isn’t sexy. It’s not going to get Gil praise for heading such a progressive organisation like AFLW. Or an innovator like AFLX.

Reserves are like plumbing in your house, needed, but no one who visits is going to say they love your new more efficient piping behind the walls.

The least he could have done was give us, and himself, room to negotiate against unhelpful inconsistent rules (umpiring), against egregious "player eligibility" changes (impacting the AFL clubs' development pathways) and against the high SANFL salary cap (a perverse incentive helping the local comp avoid switching fully towards a development focus).

"We're always looking at ways of not so much 'growing the pie' as 'growing the game' in total. That means constantly reviewing how we do the second tier and development pathways in every state. In Victoria it's very much a hands-in model, similarly quite hands-on yet collaborative in WA and for the NEAFL states, but for SA, it's been and currently remains a unique situation, where everything has to be negotiated with a fully independent local partner in the form of the SAFC and in effect the SANFL clubs acting as a loose consortia. Now SA's then football establishment was literally dragged into the AFL in the first place, back in 1990, and they did an incredible job digging in legally to maximize the retention of local earnings from AFL entities for two and a half decades, but it remains to be seen if lawyers and accountants at 10 paces is the most productive way to stay in alignment on our goals and grow footy, as opposed to growing a (rather expensive, if I might say so, based on my last visit to AO) pie for one small corner of the footy world. As custodians of the code itself, we have to keep an eye on what our competitors are doing for 10 or 20 years out, not just on our comfort zone and not just on our individual bottom lines for this year and the next. Each of you have to ask yourself - and I don't need to name names here - if your club had senior officials who were also lobbying for a new stadium twice the current size for your #1 competitor in sport, would you feel comfortable having the future of your club, your game in their hands?"

More like what Andrew D would have said or thought. Implied threats, and always some vision even if he had to herd cats to it. But Gil? Pfffft.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back