2nds The Official Port Board Thread for the Discussion of the Port Power Seconds Team

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm open to the idea that zones are somehow inexorably linked to our future success, I just don't think a cogent argument has been made yet to support that, in light of how footy actually works today.

One reason we should all oppose the sanfl is simply because they are demanding what they are demanding of our club, simply to wreck our club, destroy it's heritage, history and turn it into another soulless franchise like the camrys.
Out of principal, EVERY Port Adelaide fan should be against the sanfl on this issue.

The clubs proposal will be a mix of SANFL and AFL lists for the Magpies to be the Power reserve side.
Basically all the club wants, is rather then having half a dozen players there now, and about another ten at other SANFL clubs, is to move those other 10 players to the Magpies. That's about the extent of Ports reserve side. Not even half a full playing list.

In this instance, the zones and community links which make up the Port Adelaide Footy club, it's culture, it's history, heritage and wider 'family' or community, are vitally important.
Because the club is not seeking to do away with the Magpies, but incorporate a few more of it's AFL players in the Magpies side.
There wont necessarily be 16 AFL listed players running around for the Maggies every weekend. And it wont necessarily make the Maggies a stronger side. We have half a dozen players there now, and what success has the side had lately? None.
A few more AFL players, and we might make finals again? Big deal.

They want to destroy the club.
They want to impede the clubs progress and chances of success in the AFL.

The sanfl is not pro-afl. They act in accordance with their own interests, and often act in a manner which hurts the afl brand in this state. You cant tell me what they are doing now, is in the interests of the AFL.

Most of the time they are only interested in bleeding as much money out of the AFL presence in SA as possible. And then when Port gets on the up again, they try and build walls around us to stop us. Such as this bullsh** with the reserves stuff now.

Mark my words, the next point of controversy with these ageing clowns, will be the stadium deal at Adelaide Oval. And I think that's when the AFL will step in and put a stop to their thievery.

Country zone's came in 1970 give or take a year. We got the west coast, the furthermost from Adelaide. No fluke about that. We initially thought s**t that's tough but we then got down and made an investment and worked it hard and got wonderful results both in terms of players picked up and followers picked up because local boys were playing for us and those towns and communities and footy clubs had a direct link to us via players and via time we put into local clubs and leagues.

Its not hard for Norwood and Sturt to have strong link to the Adelaide hills communities and just over towards the River Murray as its nice and close to their base and the expense isn't as great. Same with Centrals and the Barossa.

West Torrens were given Tea Tree Gully and Golden Grove as their "country zone" which became an extended city zone as they also got around Port Augusta and Port Pirie as well. Growing up in Hope Valley and having mates who played for various clubs in the WT zone I know they made a half hearted effort to develop that zone. I had to play school footy but snuck in a couple of part seasons with Hope Valley. There was no real connection, admittedly Norwood and North Adelaide were so much closer but if they couldn't work a zone 20km from their base properly, then how well did they work their country zone?

Gary McIntosh was in the Torrens zone. I knew him from when we used to kick the footy around at half time watching Hope Valley A grade play when I was 12,13,14. My cousin also played footy with him for 3 or 4 years. But he had no ambition to play for Torrens and Norwood got hold of him at around 15. The time and effort Torrens put into the area was SFA.

When Torrens and Woodville merged there were big re alignment of boundaries and Tea TreeGully went to Norwood and some of Colden Grove went to Centrals.

Thanks REH and may I develop it even further.

Seriously, where will the SANFL be in 10 years time? It probably will exist but in what form as it certainly cannot continue as is. Please note, it's very easy to chuck rocks at the snafl, I'm simply seeking possible answere as to what and where is best for the PAFC>

The AFL will exist and probably in a more dominant format.

Remove all AFL listed players and the handfull of ex AFL players, there is precious little local talent coming into the SANFL. Few come from the country zones in any number or talent.

I'm very much in the "must retain all the PAFC structures" as far as commercially possible but I'm beginning to think dumping the snafl totally is not such a bad thing.

I want all teams playing for the PAFC, whatever the grade to be continually competitive. If the Club remains in snafl the limits placed on the (perhaps) renewed licence after 2014 may be so restrictive, the Club would be emasculated.

While the snafl have the ability and I have to say the right within the state, to alter anything and everything as they wish, maybe Port makes a commercial decision and move elsewhere to play its non AFL teams and AFL reserves team.

I have no qualms about dumping the snafl but I want the best place for the entire PAFC structures.

Oi!
They can do what they like at the Crow's board, but I'm sure Ford, Macca, Ricky and Forza will be able to get the SANFL to keep their grubby hands off this board. :p

50% of our board is appointed by the sanfl, the remaining 50% requires sanfl approval

their grubby hands have us by the balls

Allow me to introduce a word into this debate.
To me, it's the key word, the word that cuts to the core, the word that sums up the whole shebang:

IDENTITY.

You build your house, you nurture your backyard around which you build a fence.
Within those boundaries you develop your family. You work with your family, protect them, and watch them grow. You do all this with pride. Your house, your backyard, your fence and your family make up your Identity.

You have become a Man.

Then 'they' come along and, just because they think they can get away with it, they take away your fence. Then 'they' take away your backyard. Then 'they' come for your house...

All those things are material, for sure, but they're yours. More than that, they are YOU.

At this point, if you haven't already started when 'they' first put their grubby hands on your fence, you really start to FIGHT.
You fight for your castle, no matter how small and ugly and insignificant to others it might be.
You fight for your family, and you fight for yourself.

You fight to retain your Identity. All of it. If you don't, you're not a man after all.

Allow me to introduce a word into this debate.
To me, it's the key word, the word that cuts to the core, the word that sums up the whole shebang:

IDENTITY.

You build your house, you nurture your backyard around which you build a fence.
Within those boundaries you develop your family. You work with your family, protect them, and watch them grow. You do all this with pride. Your house, your backyard, your fence and your family make up your Identity.

You have become a Man.

Then 'they' come along and, just because they think they can get away with it, they take away your fence. Then 'they' take away your backyard. Then 'they' come for your house...

All those things are material, for sure, but they're yours. More than that, they are YOU.

At this point, if you haven't already started when 'they' first put their grubby hands on your fence, you really start to FIGHT.

You fight for your castle, no matter how small and ugly and insignificant to others it might be.
You fight for your family, and you fight for yourself.

You fight to retain your Identity. All of it. If you don't, you're not a man after all.

It's the vibe man, its the vibe. :thumbsu:

50% of our board is appointed by the sanfl, the remaining 50% requires sanfl approval

This is true but think about how often our club has been butting heads with the SANFL.
It says so much about how they operate, when the people they 'install' see what's going on from our side of the fence and turn against them.

There is part 2 that IMO Portia missed.
...work out if Port being who they are had an influence or was a deciding factor.
Who they are includes being a community based club rather than an out and out franchise.
How is Port Adelaide sans SANFL presence not a community based club?

Out of principal, EVERY Port Adelaide fan should be against the sanfl on this issue.
I am pretty sure we all are against the SANFL, but some of us want to leave the SANFL with their pile of s**t and move on, while the others can't let go from sitting on a pile of s**t flinging faeces around.

They want to destroy the club.
They want to impede the clubs progress and chances of success in the AFL.
Which is why I don't understand why people want the SANFL to have any impact on our club's success at any level. Why hang around with *******s when you can move on?

To use a Suits metaphor, we are Mike Ross and the SANFL is a drug-dealing f***wit whose girlfriend we want to *. He's not worth it, she's not worth it, lets go be awesome at a higher level.

rachelzaneholdingAFLpremiershipcup.jpg

I don't know why the SANFL don't just scrap the salary cap altogether.
Survival of the fittest.

And hey great if a club can pay 10 mil for Gary Ablett or Buddy. Great.

SANFL will be the strongest comp in years that way.

No salary cap
No draft
No attempts to make some clubs more equal than others.

Survival of the fittest.

English Premier league is still going strong with out all this BS market manipulation.

Jusy my 2 cents.

I don't know why the SANFL don't just scrap the salary cap altogether.

Value of salary cap = value of AFL $$$ for development programs.

About 6 or 8 years ago the AFL told the SANFL to cut their salary cap by 40% to be in line with the WAFL and VFL. The SANFL said get stuffed so the AFL slashed the development grants they paid to the SANFL and said your league is doing so well then you can fund most of the development $$$$.

And there is the basic keeping costs under control by controlling stupid management who spend what they don't have.

Staying in the SANFL is about retaining the Magpies which I think is a worthwhile concept. If the SANFL is hellbent in destroying the Magpies, then I don't want a Power reserves team playing in the SANFL. In this instance we have to explore other options.
We need a Power reserves team to be playing anywhere including the SANFL if necessary.
The betterment of our AFL side at any cost is all that really matters.
I am sorry if I offend some but I was always a Port supporter of the magpies whilst in the SANFL until we joined the AFL.Now I no longer care as I feel they no longer have relevance as I still support the PAFC just in a different league.
I would be more interested in the progress of a Power reserves side wherever they play.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

their grubby hands have us by the balls
Not the Port board on BF they don't. ;) :D

Value of salary cap = value of AFL $$$ for development programs.

About 6 or 8 years ago the AFL told the SANFL to cut their salary cap by 40% to be in line with the WAFL and VFL. The SANFL said get stuffed so the AFL slashed the development grants they paid to the SANFL and said your league is doing so well then you can fund most of the development $$$$.

And there is the basic keeping costs under control by controlling stupid management who spend what they don't have.

I do hear what you are saying.

BUT

Soccer, is there more or less clubs in the world since 1870?

Has market based valuation of players and clubs led to the demise or the greater proliferation of that sport?

My personal opinion is that the manipulation and control of the australian rules market has in the most part been detrimental to the game. Both in development of clubs, their markets and also the rules. Especially the rules.

How many more people go to football now than say 1960?

Soccer has by and large stayed fundamentally true to a pure market based system and that has not allowed vested interests to control the rules. As corrupt as FIFA is, the rules don't change a whole lot. The market has kept soccer as soccer.

You may have the answers to some of the questions I pose, or another angle, and I am quite interested to hear them if you do, and I certainly am not offended by differing views, but my gut feel is that market based competitions have flourished at a greater pace than our manipulated model.

At the end of the day, I'm not going to tear up my membership over anything I have said, I just think in a pure market based system we will eventually overcome the opposition we face in the this manipulated and unfair market controlled by AFL and SANFL toffs. Who really are just trumped up politicians looking to keep themselves in power, whatever it takes.

How is Port Adelaide sans SANFL presence not a community based club?
I will not get into a debate on what is a community club or not, but I will say that IMO Port quitting the SANFL is something we should not do but being kicked out by the SANFL I can live with.

I will not get into a debate on what is a community club or not,
We understand why.

but I will say that IMO Port quitting the SANFL is something we should not do but being kicked out by the SANFL I can live with.
I agree that Port being kicked out of the SANFL is the best result for spin reasons.

http://news.com.au/sport/afl/crows-...ay8217s-deadline/story-fnelctok-1226693817425

Two clubs - Central and Norwood - want the Magpies' licence to play in the SANFL (that was signed on December 1, 2010) to be revoked. If this move is successful, the Power would then have no choice but to replicate the Crows with a stand-alone team in the SANFL. Power coach Ken Hinkley indicated on Thursday this would satisfy him when he said: "I want all Port Adelaide players in a Port Adelaide team in the SANFL."

Seriously, if this happens, I woudn't want anything to do with that shitty comp..

And Norwood and that shiity pokie club down north can both GAGF..!
Pissant comp..pissant mentality...pissant state..!

Has market based valuation of players and clubs led to the demise or the greater proliferation of that sport?

Demies...absolutely demise. There used to be plenty of constraints to keep things fair and give clubs a chance to rise through the leagues (shared TV Pot, fair transfer fees, maximum wage). But now clubs are dying off all over the place. If a clubs Rangers, Portsmouth and Coventry can go under, what does that tell you about the mess they are in? The foreign owners are stripping the money out when not using teams as a play toy. Its a joke. Only Germany which has maintained some semblance of control over ownership has strong fan and club culture.

Just because the rich are getting richer, does not mean that the game isn't getting poorer.

We understand why.
Portia Portia Portia you are such a nice person.
With the Magpies set up as they are there is no option but to have underage teams. That in turn includes parents, brothers playing for Port, younger kids getting ready/wanting to move up to the 16s, a greater number of families being involved or going through the system, volunteers, it really is a different ball game to having a franchise putting on Auskick clinics and yes I have been involved in kids sport, committees, etc. Very very different. Massively different.
The amount of work required to get even just 2 underage teams up and running is massive and cannot be done without a large number of volunteers from the local community helping out.

I agree that Port being kicked out of the SANFL is the best result for spin reasons.
Sort of, the spin that would happen again if we were the ones to quit is more what I am concerned about. We've been through that s**t once before and I for one do not want to go through it again. I am sure everyone at the club would feel the same.

According to another website, the Eagles had their meeting last night and publically announced that the only club currently saying no is South Adelaide. Everyone else is a yes.

If so, I cant help but laugh at the Norwood Football Club meekly rolling over and spreading its cheeks for the Adelaide Crows after all their bravado over an adamant no up until a week ago. Is their a more pathetic, gutless, jellyback organisation in the state than the Norwood Football Club?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back