The San Antonio Spurs thread - A Fiesta of Youth

Remove this Banner Ad

Happy to let the Warriors take all the press, while the Spurs keep chugging along quietly.

Had a fairly soft schedule so far, but seem to be improving, so will hopefully be ready come the major tests.

It's going to be interesting to see how Pop uses Simmons moving forward. There's probably a few teams in the NBA that would be starting him right now!

It's going to be interesting to see how Pop uses Simmons moving forward. There's probably a few teams in the NBA that would be starting him right now!

After today, add Big Boban to that comment!

Boban still has a lot of improving to do but yes he has been impressive in the minutes he has played. Simmons is a player I really hope carves out a nice career for us, he and Kawhi work so well together when the're on the court. Plus it's fun having 2 guys on the court together who are athletic as hell. Still hoping the offense is in full swing after the ASG, LMA has been pretty inconsistent on offense thus far.

Like a master sculptor, Popovich may well be molding Kawhi into his greatest masterpiece. The rise and rise of this kid is incredible. Pop's taken this raw kid who many said had a broken jump-shot and turned him into one of the most complete basketballers ever. I'm starting to think Pop is hanging around more to see what Kawhi becomes more than his desire for another ring.

Its amazing just watching him on defense the DPOY is his and it isn't even close.

this is the best Spurs team Ive seen, just so deep and being coached brilliantly

Surely you cant rate them above the 2014 team that destroyed everyone (bar Dallas) and played some of the most stunning team ball in NBA history?!?

Really interested to see Boban's development. Thought he was just a bit of a sideshow to bring on in junk time and keep the crowd involved but he looks to have a proper skillset. Hopefully nt he second half of the year when we really start to rest guys he can get 30 mins a game against top tier Centres and we can see what he can really do.

Surely you cant rate them above the 2014 team that destroyed everyone (bar Dallas) and played some of the most stunning team ball in NBA history?!?

Really interested to see Boban's development. Thought he was just a bit of a sideshow to bring on in junk time and keep the crowd involved but he looks to have a proper skillset. Hopefully nt he second half of the year when we really start to rest guys he can get 30 mins a game against top tier Centres and we can see what he can really do.

obviously the season is still young and the 2014 team has the runs on the board...... this team IMO I think is better though. the additions of LMA, and West in the front court...west is a absolute gun off the bench.... Anderson and simmons..and then there is Kawhi who is now a top 10 player in this league .... Boban and Mccallum add even more depth.

we are smashing teams at the moment whilst our "big 3" are playing 25 mins a game, I think once the play-offs happen we are going to play some scintillating basketball

It's truly amazing how good he has become and will only continue to get even better, us Spurs fans are so blessed:p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

this is the best Spurs team Ive seen, just so deep and being coached brilliantly

Thats such a massive call - but could well be right.
Personally i think any of the 03-07 versions would be very had to beat, but 03 is probably my favourite spurs team:
Duncan in his prime, Manu and Parker not too far away from reaching theirs. Robinson still playing. Capt Jack & Bowen a perfect complement on the wings. And a very deep and experienced bench.

(off Imgur - but its being shitty with embedding atm, and wouldnt even let me link) - but anyway - our bench/starters +/-

View attachment 205762
oh wow! check out our bench
We do have great balance and a roster that really goes 15 deep.

I'm obviously heavily biased but there isn't one player in the NBA that I'd trade him for.

One isn't a Spur? One is a 7 footer? One has sick handles? Ugh

Oh - I thought it would be obvious.

You have Robinson and Kawhi - two, reportedly, incredible teammates and all-round characters who epitomise everything I love about the Spurs and the exact types of people the team wants as part of the "spurs family".

Then you've got "we're talking bout practice" Iverson - a guy who was the epitome of me-first, iso-basketball... let alone all of the offcourt stuff... no doubt an incredible player (and deserves to be a first-ballot HOFer this year), but in my eyes was also a symbol of everything that was wrong with late 90's-00's NBA... plus we have him to thank for the ridiculous trend of wearing sleeves. (which only started because he was forced to wear one by Stern to cover up a particular tattoo).

For me, not quite ready to say that just yet.. 2005 still takes that mantle for me. Prime duncan, prime manu, prime bowen plus a very good parker, robert horrys game 5 performance in the finals make it tough to top.

Would be fun to see the 05 pistons take this spurs team on, though. They would be 15 point quarters!

Still not 100% sold of aldridge, cant complain with his production so far but theres still question marks whether what player will show up deep in the playoffs. Same could also be said for leonard (his first year as a first real option on offense)

But im definately enjoying the ride so far!

Still not 100% sold of aldridge, cant complain with his production so far but theres still question marks whether what player will show up deep in the playoffs.

Just with LMA - how much is it that his performances have dropped since last year, and how much is it that his role has just changed so much.
Personally I'm not too concerned about Aldridge... For the most part we havent needed him to be a focal point, and he's still had his big games along the way.
Really though we wont know until the playoffs.

I am more concerned about West... Took a long time to get going, and over the last month or so Pop is clearly trying to get him more comfortable. (but with Bobans performances in his place - we have decent cover... Though i reckon West will be much more useful deep in the playoffs).

The good thing is that Pop is clearly getting everyone involved and hopefully come playoffs we have 12-15 guys who are ready to play their role comfortably.

Everything is indeed coming along nicely heading into the All-Star break; Kawhi continues to improve, Aldridge is stringing together 20+ point games, and even Patty is nearing his previous peak.

There's one big problem though... He wears #30 for the Warriors!

Everything is indeed coming along nicely heading into the All-Star break; Kawhi continues to improve, Aldridge is stringing together 20+ point games, and even Patty is nearing his previous peak.

There's one big problem though... He wears #30 for the Warriors!

And one other problem - an almost 40 year old who has missed 15 games so far. I think without Timmy our ceiling is WCF - but we will have a tough time getting passed either OKC or LAC to get there. Our only chance to beat the Warriors is with a healthy Timmy, and even then we probably need everything to go right (plus a lot of things to go wrong for the Warriors).

It's a real shame, because we are still on track for a 70-win season... but it's going to be seriously overshadowed by whatever the Warriors end up with.

And one other problem - an almost 40 year old who has missed 15 games so far. I think without Timmy our ceiling is WCF - but we will have a tough time getting passed either OKC or LAC to get there. Our only chance to beat the Warriors is with a healthy Timmy, and even then we probably need everything to go right (plus a lot of things to go wrong for the Warriors).

It's a real shame, because we are still on track for a 70-win season... but it's going to be seriously overshadowed by whatever the Warriors end up with.

In theory, I'd usually agree with you, because the centre is such an integral position to a team's defence. But Curry is such a different beast to deal with. He practically takes the position out of the equation - even indirectly. He's probably less likely to drive to the basket with Timmy there, thus getting more predictable to Kawhi & Co. But he's predictable anyway. He's just too tough to stop when he's hot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back