The San Antonio Spurs thread - A Fiesta of Youth

Sep 10, 2000
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
As a Toronto fan (potentially the only one on the board), I'm a little torn by this.

Derozan while at Toronto was simply not a postseason star, time and time again he failed to perform, which is probably as a result of the nature of his game. His salary over the next few years was also an issue. I understand the trade, the Raptors had to "blow it up" sooner rather than later, Leonard as a rental gives the Raptors one more crack at success and then salary cap space to trade for picks or prospects.

From a branding/culture perspective, Toronto has just traded its greatest player and first star that wanted to be there against his will. Is this the actions of a truly great sporting team?

There is also the risk that Leonard acts very unprofessionally during time in Toronto.

didaksrightfoot

Premiership Player
Sep 12, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
SA Spurs, Juventus
Anyone watching the games on LivePass this year? (I dont have it this year, so am just relying on highlights).

It's only 6 games in, and at 4-2, it's really hard to tell where we are at.
Very glad to have beaten the Lakers twice, because they are probably a team we will be competing with for those 5-8 playoff spots, but is it too early to worry (yes it is) that we lost comfortably to the 2 teams we've played with winning records.

Derozan has been great, and keeps pulling out the clutch plays. It seems like Pop has really learnt from the LMA experience (or has been forced to given our lineup) and is just giving him free reign from the get go to just take over our offence. I would expect that he continues to be our main playmaker when Walker and eventually Murray are healthy.

It looks like we've also been very quick to move to a small ball lineup, with LMA starting at C for the last 3 games - I think that is very much a good idea against most teams.

MrBeefSeven

Senior List
Apr 11, 2013
Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
San Antonio Spurs
Anyone watching the games on LivePass this year? (I dont have it this year, so am just relying on highlights).

It's only 6 games in, and at 4-2, it's really hard to tell where we are at.
Very glad to have beaten the Lakers twice, because they are probably a team we will be competing with for those 5-8 playoff spots, but is it too early to worry (yes it is) that we lost comfortably to the 2 teams we've played with winning records.

Derozan has been great, and keeps pulling out the clutch plays. It seems like Pop has really learnt from the LMA experience (or has been forced to given our lineup) and is just giving him free reign from the get go to just take over our offence. I would expect that he continues to be our main playmaker when Walker and eventually Murray are healthy.

It looks like we've also been very quick to move to a small ball lineup, with LMA starting at C for the last 3 games - I think that is very much a good idea against most teams.
I’ve also just been going off highlights.
The offense is looking sweet. Great to have a closer in Demar. Rudy has had a great start and is shooting very well. We’ve actually got a few 3 point threats on the team (Belinelli, Patty) and Bryn Forbes has surprised me with his confidence, very impressive.
Losing Dejounte though has really hurt our defence. Our backcourt really struggles to contain good guards. Derrick White will help on that end when he’s healthy, and on offence he’ll be able to be a good facilitator. It’ll be fun to see him develop, confident player in summer/g league and I reckon his game will translate well to the NBA.
I think Pop said today that Dante Cunningham started the last couple games for some toughness/defence. Personally I think playing at C slightly hurts LMA on offence when he has to shoot over taller guys, but I understand why it’s done. No idea why Jakob Poeltl isn’t getting more minutes but Pop knows best.
Really hard to make out where we’re at this early, but the west is tough and we’re gonna need to come out strong most games.
I am absolutely loving Demar so far, great guy, super hard worker, and seems dedicated to the team/improving his game.

Sep 18, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Man United, San Antonio Spurs
Loving how DeMar is going, being 4-2 is not bad but yeah slight concerns about being beaten by other winning teams.

Reckon we will finish in that 5-8 bracket in the West.

Just quietly how ****ed is GSW? Durant, Curry and Thompson just take it in turns who has a night shooting lights out, they’ll win it again.

Freo_4eva

Premiership Player
Sep 5, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Claremont, San Antonio, ND Irish
Yeh, we are all playing for 2nd.. Offence is smooth. Defence is a work in progress and may not be good enough to compete for spots higher than say 6th with the current personnel.

Fun to watch at the moment though.

Finally playing some D

Exactly. Although I'm still getting over that Bulls game at home.

Tough fortnight coming up, so not expecting to be top 8 in the West come the 2nd week of January.

Another terrible loss to an average team at home. I can't work this team out.

I tell you one thing that I'm not used to; awful depth. Today, Pau, Poeltl, Pondexter, Cunningham & Eubanks played a total of 41 minutes between them for a grand total of 4 points, 3 rebounds & 1 assist.

Mr Cannons

All Australian
Nov 16, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
San Antonio
I never saw much of derozan at Toronto, has he gone backwards? his last couple of games have been atrocious, sometimes it looks like he doesnt care and that hes still in the shits for being traded.

kane22

Team Captain
Jan 30, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
I never saw much of derozan at Toronto, has he gone backwards? his last couple of games have been atrocious, sometimes it looks like he doesnt care and that hes still in the shits for being traded.
I think it is more of fitting into the system. He doesnt have to be the primary scorer anymore and actually has turned more into a playmaker. While with the raps they had lowry as the playmaker. I actually have been very happy with him this season. Rebounding and assists are career highs. He was never going to average 25 a game.

kane22

Team Captain
Jan 30, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
Another terrible loss to an average team at home. I can't work this team out.

I tell you one thing that I'm not used to; awful depth. Today, Pau, Poeltl, Pondexter, Cunningham & Eubanks played a total of 41 minutes between them for a grand total of 4 points, 3 rebounds & 1 assist.
Couldnt agree more, the depth is terrible. The only player i like out of that group is Poeltl but even he has some flaws. Cunningham is only useful as a defensive matchup against a strong forward. Pau, Pondexter and Eubanks shouldnt be getting minutes. Still dont understand why we gave such a big contract to Pau.

Mr Cannons

All Australian
Nov 16, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
San Antonio
I think it is more of fitting into the system. He doesnt have to be the primary scorer anymore and actually has turned more into a playmaker. While with the raps they had lowry as the playmaker. I actually have been very happy with him this season. Rebounding and assists are career highs. He was never going to average 25 a game.
I think he’s trying to assist to much, needs to start shooting some of his drives.

kane22

Team Captain
Jan 30, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
Nice come-back win over the Mavs yesterday. Always good to beat them. Especially on their home court.
Watching the game sounds like it was our home game, always good to win a texas showdown, I think the mavs are building something but they should try and keep Dennis Smith Jr, and try and play him off ball to Luka.

Phat Toni

Club Legend
May 5, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Spurs & Storm
What do we think about the Moteijunas signing?
interesting, he's a relatively skilled big man who had a decent season about 4 to 5 years ago..... defensively he's a bit meh..... but i can see him finding some minutes in the rotation against say the Nuggets and maybe the Jazz in the playoffs as they have a bit of size in their rotations, i struggle to see him getting minutes against the Warriors, Rockets, Blazers or Thunder.

didaksrightfoot

Premiership Player
Sep 12, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
SA Spurs, Juventus
What do we think about the Moteijunas signing?

Probably just big man insurance behind Poeltl - both in the playoffs, and potentially for consideration of next year.

I reckon Pop has his rotation that he is comfortable to go with in close games (which we have had far too many of this season) - I doubt that changes in the playoffs.

But this is basically a free hit to have him under Pop for this last month or so and see if there is enough to give him a contract for next year. Probably not unreasonable to think of him in that 8th-12th roster spot for some front court depth.

I'm not as disappointed as I thought I would be. I actually really like the team we have put together.

Get another off-season in the gym into Forbes, White, Murray and Poeltl and I think we will look good next season.

Back