The Official Week 19 'BoogieBrow Central' Thread

Stew should stop with the Boston jokes

• After he stops with the Priceys mum gags

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • When Jessie White wins the Coleman

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • When Kirk Hinrichs number is retired

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • When DangerSloane admits Booker is better than Mudiay (in the long run)

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • When Mead returns to the fray

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • Chris Mayne and Daniel Wells justify their contracts

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Cameron Payne wins MVP

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • All of the above

Votes: 9 31.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Grizzlies getting a ride. Most physical team in the NBA and somehow only got called for one foul, ummm OK. At one stage Dekker got shoved into the bench and it ended up Grizzlies ball. Not just against us but they always seem to get away with more than the opposition.

Doc's foot was actually on the court at the time. Would be nice to see some of these coaches sit down and shut up for a change.

Used to be a tech if the went on court. Now sometimes you have half the bench going on the court when something happens.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nah that's a cop out for me. He's 23, you expect done improvement not regression

Fair enough, I'm not really expecting him to be the finished product yet, and I don't think they're really doing him any favours by pairing him with the other "big men" they are.

That being said, he's really hasn't regressed this year like you're saying. The only thing he's doing less of is getting to the line, but he's still scoring at the same rate. I think you might just have unrealistic expectations on where he should be at and the steepness of the development curve.
All star last season. He's been disappointing, particularly the first half of the season, like Detroit as a whole.

I just don't really think they've got a very good squad TBH.

Reggie Jackson missing 20+ games and underperforming severely has been a bigger disappointment and reason for their lack of progress as a team too IMO.
When Drummond is on court they give up 8 more points per 100. That's pretty bog average. He's not expanded either side of his game and the bench are defending better than he is
He also clearly leads the team in Defensive Rating (and equal #1 in the league), Defensive Win Shares (and #3 in the league), and Defensive Box Score Plus/Minus (and #8 in the league), so which stats are "right"?

Last edited:
Fair enough, I'm not really expecting him to be the finished product yet, and I don't think they're really doing him any favours by pairing him with the other "big men" they are.

That being said, he's really hasn't regressed this year like you're saying. The only thing he's doing less of is getting to the line, but he's still scoring at the same rate. I don't really know what your expectations are for him, but I don't think he's falling behind or going backwards at all.

I just don't really think they've got a very good squad TBH.

Reggie Jackson missing 20+ games and underperforming severely has been a bigger disappointment and reason for their lack of progress as a team too IMO.

He also clearly leads the team in Defensive Rating (and equal #1 in the league), Defensive Win Shares (and #3 in the league), and Defensive Box Score Plus/Minus (and #8 in the league), so which stats are "right"?

Perhaps i was a little hasty in calling it regression. As you've said, some stats are good, his FT% is up (yet still gash) as is his TS%, his TRB%'s are up

And yet

In 2014-15, Drummond scored .689 points per possession on 4.94 possessions per 36 minutes. In 2015-16, he scored .726 points per possession on 5.37 possessions per 36 minutes, and this season he is scoring just .711 points per possession on 5.84 possessions per 36 minutes.

Oh sweet jesus thats bad

But why

The Pistons are 18th in the NBA in assist ratio, they’re 18th in passes made, they’re 26th in secondary assists and 26th in potential assists.

(As of end of Jan)

Oh sweet jesus thats bad

Is it really, when you consider how good his FG% is (top 5 among players with USG% of 20+), and how much his awful FT% would skew things?

I mean, if Drummond was a "just" .600 free throw shooter this season, he'd be scoring a whole extra point per 36 minutes. If he was also used like a true #1 option (he's barely inside the top 50 in the league for USG%), as well as playing more than just 30 minutes a night (conditioning might still be an issue, because he's rarely in foul trouble), he'd be scoring even more.

If you compare him to where Dwight Howard was at the same age, he's not really that far behind, if at all. Considering he was considered less mature and more of a project coming into the league, and hasn't had as good a team or coaching around him as Dwight did in those early days, and (despite being a very good athlete for his size) isn't the freakish physical specimen Dwight was in his young days, I think that's a pretty good outcome so far. Dwight peaked as a player in years 4-8 in the league (ages 22-26), which is kind of early (you'd generally hope for a player's prime to be ages 25-29), but I think with a better, more experience team around him, and more experience and development in general, Drummond will continue to improve and possibly have more longevity to his prime than Dwight did.

Back