The Official Western Conference First Round Playoff Thread (at last no more Kobe talk)

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 7, 2005
Firing GarPax
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, Chicago Bulls
WESTERN CONFERENCE - FIRST ROUND

(1) Golden State Warriors vs. (8) Houston Rockets
Game 1
-- Sun. April 17, Houston at Golden State, 5:30 a.m., ABC/R
Game 2 -- Tue. April 19, Houston at Golden State, 12:30 p.m., TNT
Game 3 -- Fri. April 22, Golden State at Houston, 11:30 a.m., TNT
Game 4 -- Mon. April 25, Golden State at Houston, 5:30 p.m., ABC/R
Game 5 * Thu. April 28, Houston at Golden State, TBD, TBD
Game 6 * Sat. April 30, Golden State at Houston, TBD, TBD
Game 7 * Mon. May 2, Houston at Golden State, TBD, TBD
Season Series 4-0 (i'm not even looking this up)

The WCF rematch from last year. I guess we should do some analysis of why Houston will get swept.

Curry v Bev. Bev is probably one of the best equipped guys to stop Curry. Unfortunately he's basically the only defensive minded player on the roster, so in the pnr Houston will be exploited on the switches. The inevitable miscommunications and Harden corpse like defense will see Curry put up a shedload of numbers. I'm assuming they use Jet as the back up point or split Bev and Beard. regardless, Livingston will have a nice time in his limited minutes
Klay v Beard. If the Rockets are going to win the series (ok win a game) then Beard is going to have to go off in a huge way. He averages 10 free throws a game, a number that will only go up as he plays more minutes in the playoffs.
Barnes/Iggy v Ariza. Oh dear. Iggy will be able to slide over to Beard as needed. The Rockets will need Ariza to go out of his mind, but i cant see that happening.
Green v Beasley/Jones. SuperCool v Dray, i can't wait to see who explodes first.
Bogut/Ezeli v Derwight/Capela. Houston need Dwight to go 20/10. It won't happen. Green will go 5 in the death lineup... they cant handle that.
The Dubs have Rush/Clark/Barb off the bench too. Houston has KJ, and thats about it.
Is Dubs in 3 an option? Their only chance is is Beverly does a Westbrook to Curry.

(2) San Antonio Spurs vs. (7) Memphis Grizzlies
Game 1
-- Mon. April 18, Memphis at San Antonio, 10 a.m., TNT
Game 2 -- Wed. April 20, Memphis at San Antonio, 11:30 a.m., TNT
Game 3 -- Sat. April 23, San Antonio at Memphis, 11:30 a.m., ESPN
Game 4 -- Mon. April 25, San Antonio at Memphis, 3 a.m., ABC
Game 5 * Wed. April 27, Memphis at San Antonio, TBD, TBD
Game 6 * Fri. April 29, San Antonio at Memphis, TBD, TBD
Game 7 * Sun. May 1, Memphis at San Antonio, TBD, TNT
Season Series 4-0 Spurs, albeit 2 of those wins late in the year when the Grizz were decimated by injury.
The problem is the Grizz are still decimated by injury. Can you say sweep?
In recent games they have started Farmar/Allen/Barnes/Birdman/ZBo. Thats an average age of 34.
With a bench of Lance/Carter/JaMychal Green.
Oh dear

(3) Oklahoma City Thunder vs. (6) Dallas Mavericks
Game 1
-- Sun. April 17, Dallas at Oklahoma City, 1:30 p.m., ESPN
Game 2 -- Tue. April 19, Dallas at Oklahoma City, 12 p.m., TNT
Game 3 -- Fri. April 22, Oklahoma City at Dallas, 11 a.m., TNT
Game 4 -- Sun. April 24, Oklahoma City at Dallas, 12 p.m., ESPN/R
Game 5 * Tue. April 26, Dallas at Oklahoma City, TBD, TBD
Game 6 * Fri. April 29, Oklahoma City at Dallas, TBD, TBD
Game 7 * Sun. May 1, Dallas at Oklahoma City, TBD, TNT
Season Series 4-0 OKC

One game Carlisle sat his starters on the second game of a btb

In the regular season matchups Westbrook put up 31/11, 0 and ejected, 16/7/8, 24/13/7.
KD missed the first and put up 29/10, 24/7.

The matchups are pretty obvious.
Westbrook v Williams/Barea. This will be a bloodbath. DWill can't keep up with him on those knees, and Barea is too small.Dallas will need those guys to take advantage of Westy's cavalier defense and put up numbers.
Roberson/Waiters v Wes/Fatty. Dallas are going to need a heck of a series from Wes.
KD v Parsons. Dallas are going to need a hell of a series from parsons. This is starting to sound repetitive. Wait is he injured? Oh dear
Dirk/Zaza/Lee v Adams/Kanter/Serge. Dirk can really exploit the matchups if he ends up on either Adams by taking him out to the 3 line or Kanter in the block. OKC will look to defend him with Serge. If fit Lee can play a role, especially against the likes of Adams. I fear that OKC's depth may be too much down low tho.

It shall be interesting to see how Rick approaches the series. Does he small ball with Dirk at the 5 and go with his 2 point guard lineup, given that he can hide one on Roberson defensively. I see Kanter having a good series here, well offensively at least. Dallas will be able to score, but i cant see them having an answer for either KD or Westy defensively.

I'll back Dallas to nick a game at home, OKC in 5

(4) L.A. Clippers vs. (5) Portland Trail Blazers
Game 1
-- Mon. April 18, Portland at L.A. Clippers, 12:30 p.m., TNT
Game 2 -- Thu. April 21, Portland at L.A. Clippers, 12:30 p.m., TNT
Game 3 -- Sun. April 24, L.A. Clippers at Portland, 12:30 p.m., ESPN
Game 4 -- Tue. April 26, L.A. Clippers at Portland, 12:30 p.m., TNT
Game 5 * Thu. April 28, Portland at L.A. Clippers, TBD, TBD
Game 6 * Sat. April 30, L.A. Clippers at Portland, TBD, TBD
Game 7 * Mon. May 2, Portland at L.A. Clippers, TBD, TBD

Season series 3-1 LAC, altho it took a JJ buzzer beater in one Clipper win.

The Clips looked ok without Blake for a while, he averaged 22/7 in his 2 games against portland this season.
CP3/Coaches son v DLill. Lillard has been sensational, altho he'll need to be at his best defensively to best Paul in this matchup. In the 3 full games against the Clips he put up 27 (on 25 shots), 20 (on 25 shots) and 18 (on 16 shots). Fair to say CPs has his number recently.
JJ/Jamal v CJ/Hendo. CJ has had games of 18, 17 and 12 v the Clips. Fair, but not outstanding. Portland will need him to come out breathing fire, although JJ hasn't really go going vs Portland either. Jamal will do his usual and put up 20+ one game and disappear the next. Hendo hasnt really performed against the Clips either. Its probably a slight advantage to the Clips, but for all intents and purposes its pretty even.
Pierce/Green v Aminu/Crabbe. Its going to sound weird, but advantage Portland imo. Pierce is a corpse and Green is overrated trash. The Portland guys haven't put up huge numbers either, and i'm sure its my hatred of both Pierce and Green that is overshadowing my reason :)
Blake/DJ/Aldrich v How could you be Mo Harkless/Vonleh/Plumlee/Davis. Clear advantage here to LA. Portland put DJ on the line 34 times in one game and still got pumped by 15. The hack will happen at some stage. Jordan has double doubled every game this year against Portland and i expect that to continue. Blake is clearly not fit, but even then will still put up 15/7 type numbers

Portland turnovers are a key. If they can take care of the ball and break even on the boards they'll force the Clips into a half court game. If they let the Clips run its all over, they'll get too many easy hoops at the rim. If they can use their length to disrupt the Clips and force turnovers to get some easy points it will make it all the easier. For a team that can shoot the 3, Portland have been pretty poor against the Clips this year. If Aminu can make a few it opens things up a touch for Lillard and CJ.

I'll back the Blazers to win one at home, and 2 wouldnt surprise me, its going to take a hell of a team effort tho.
Clips in 5 (or 6)

Last edited:
Looks like some pretty lopsided matchups aside from the OKC Dallas series. On Warriors Rockets I think Harden is capable of some big performances. He has been starved of the limelight this season. This is his opportunity. Having said that i'd predict a sweep.

Looks like some pretty lopsided matchups aside from the OKC Dallas series. On Warriors Rockets I think Harden is capable of some big performances. He has been starved of the limelight this season. This is his opportunity. Having said that i'd predict a sweep.

Maybe the Clips and Portland? Personally i think Dallas will be savaged

Dubs in 4 - Beard would really need to turn it on if they were to pinch a game.
Spurs in 4 - Easiest sweep of all time. Timmy might not even get out of bed for it.
OKC in 6 - Backing them to drop 2 due to their shocking play down the stretch of close games.
Clips in 6 - I'd say 5 with no Blake. This one has the potential to be the biggest surprise packet of all if Portland get hot which they are more than capable of.

Last edited:
Dubs in 4 - Beard would really need to turn it on if they were to pinch a game.
Spurs in 4 - Easiest sweep of all time. Timmy might not even get out of bed for it.
OKC in 6 - Backing them to drop 2 due to their shocking play down the stretch of close games.
Clips in 6 - I'd say 5 with no Blake. This one has the potential to be the biggest surprise packet of all if Portland get hot which they are more than capable of.
Yep I see it much the same way. OKC and Clips the better teams but aren't going that great to win convincingly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not as confident as some are in us. Don't get me wrong stoked to be in playoffs but we have been seriously spluttering since our hot run and performances away from home have ranged from bed to deplorable. No way we win in LA unless they were to completely fall apart in the series. An injury to Dre is the only way I see us getting the series to 6-7 games.

It looks pretty predictable for all match ups. Can't picture a game 7 in any of the series but stranger things have happened. Hopefully a couple of underdogs steal game 1 and make it interesting for a while.

Dubs - 4
Spurs - 4
OKC - 5
Clips - 5

Warriors in 5 - Harden will have one good game but that's it. They'll get destroyed. Their team just has nothing going for them.

Spurs in 4 - Memphis doesn't have the offense and not good defensively to do any damage to the Spurs. Unlucky for the Spurs they are facing a very average team in the first round that won't challenge them.

Thunder in 6 - Thunder defensively are just average. I feel that Rick will find a way to curb Russ but the Thunder are just too good. I feel that this is going to be competitive.

Clippers in 6 - Clippers are the better team but Stotts has been doing a great job with a worse team. Redick is having an underrated season but all depends on the bench and shooting. It will be competitive but Clippers are too good.

Unfortunately i dont see any series going to 7 and only one do I think the underdog has any real chance.. For the first time in a while, the clear 4 best teams are the top 4 seeds.

Houston might steal one game if Harden goes off and Curry is hitting bricks...cant see that 2nd one happening more than once. In fact only way Houston makes this interesting is if everyone returns to 2015 form AND Golden State has a massive hangover after 73... Cant see either happening.

Ditto for Spurs-Grizz. Comes down to if Pop wants to go all out for the sweep, and then rest, or tries to rest mid-series. Having said that, the Spurs often take a bit of time to focus in the early rounds, and Z-Bo has a history of causing us trouble (but who else will provide him any real support?) Key for the spurs is getting through healthy and not getting banged up (which can happen vs the Grizz)... I'm very, very glad we missed the Mavs in the 1st round, by just a whisker. (and probly rockets as well)

Clippers- Blazers. Lillard, and their defence, will carry this team for a couple of wins, but don't see the Blazers being good enough to take it to 7. Best chance is if LAC are already looking to the 2nd round series against GSW and arent focused/prepared for a Blazers team they expect to beat comfortably... And i wont completely rule that out.

The Mavs are the wildcard here... I am just that afraid of Carlisle. I think he will very clearly win the coaching battle and find ways to keep this competitive, but really Durant and Westbrook should be closing this out in 5 or 6... Im just never ready to rule out the Mavs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back