Recruiting The Offseason: Essendon

What should Essendon prioritise this off-season?

• Jaeger O'Meara

Votes: 24 36.4%
  • Adding another key forward

Votes: 29 43.9%
  • Resigning Jobe Watson

Votes: 5 7.6%
  • Fielding offers for Pick 1

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • The Michael Hibberd trade

Votes: 5 7.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

TiarneSwersky

Senior List
May 8, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Los Angeles Lakers
The Offseason will be a series of articles analysing each team’s list management, trade and free agency targets, and the biggest recruitment decisions to be made as the end of another season approaches.

First up, the Bombers.

What they need?

The Bombers desperately need a forward partner to line-up next to Joe Daniher in 2017.

With Cale Hooker as their swingman, and Aaron Francis and Kyle Langford developing nicely as the high, medium forwards, the Bombers lack another key target, as well as another genuine small forward, in their forward half.

Daniher has worked tirelessly in 2016, and his poor goal kicking has often overshadowed just how hard he runs during the game.

With Jack Reiwoldt and Travis Cloke seemingly on the market in the offseason, the Bombers could go after an established 200-gamer. Shane Kersten and Nathan Vardy could also seek more opportunities outside of Geelong, while Tyrone Vickery should also made available by the Tigers.

If they don’t trade for one, they must prioritise drafting a key forward. The Bombers could also add to their developing midfield stocks.

Biggest names out of contract

Jobe Watson (UFA)
Tayte Pears (UFA)
Jayden Laverde
Martin Gleeson
James Kelly & Matthew Dea (top-ups)

Best signing of the year

Any of the ‘banned Bombers’ could be regarded as the biggest signings of the year, but the biggest and best was Michael Hurley. With both Victorian and interstate clubs circling the key defender, Hurley recommitted to the Bombers on a five-year deal.

Dyson Heppell, Cale Hooker, Travis Colyer, Tom Bellchambers, David Myers, Travis Colyer, Brent Stanton, Ben Howlett, Heath Hocking are the other suspended players to have resigned to the club, while stand-in captain Brendon Goddard signed a one year deal last week.

Who won’t be there next year?

Michael Hibberd – the half-back flanker requested a trade from the club in August, seeking a ‘fresh start’.

Courtenay Dempsey – as an unrestricted free agent, the once dashing halfback may not don the sash next season after a lacklustre two years at the club.

Adam Cooney and Matthew Stokes have called it a day, while James Gwilt will most likely have to find another club to continue his career.

The futures of Shaun McKernan, Nick Kommer, Jason Ashby and Shaun Edwards will also be discussed.

Best find of the year

Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti – The elevated rookie became one of the stories of the year after a breakout debut season for the Bombers. He was the spark in a difficult year, playing 21 games and averaging 15 touches.

Orazio Fantasia – The small forward had a career-best year, playing 19 games (previous best was 5), kicking 29 goals and averaging 15 disposals.

Matthew Dea – The defender came to the club as a top-up, player after a great season, he may have earned himself another chance at an AFL career. A career best 21 games – averaging 17 disposals and six marks.

Biggest decision looming

Pick 1 – After a challenging four years, the Bombers are the proud owners of the most prized possession heading into the off-season.

Clubs will enquire, and the Bombers will take the meetings. But will they trade pick 1 for a key midfielder or forward, or will they go to draft day with the pick of the bunch?

Jobe Watson – Will Jobe go on in 2017 or hang up the boots and seriously pursue his life after football as a barista? The decision isn’t Essendon’s to make, but it’s one the club would love to know before the off-season kicks off.

Throw a lifeline to...

Matthew Dea and James Kelly. These top-up players were the best of the bunch and all 18 clubs can resign them as delisted free agents before November.

Nick Dal Santo – The Bombers could use some more experience and polish down back, and Dal Santo could be a low-risk, inexpensive option to pursure across half-back. Dal Santo said he is keen to play on after being told his services were not needed at Arden Street, and the 32-year-old finished off the home and away season in solid form.

Trade Bait

Pick 1 – The Bombers hold the keys to the best trade bait of all – the first pick in the national draft. Will they use it to lure an elite midfielder, a key forward, or trade it to strengthen their position in the first round of the draft.

Michael Hibberd – The Demons have firmed as the favourites for the defender, but the Bombers have said they want an earlier pick than the Demons’ pick 27.

Trade Targets

Jaeger O’meara – John Worsfold declared Essendon’s intentions of landing the 22-year old midfielder in October – saying “we would love to have him at Essendon” last week.

Hayden Ballantyne – Western Australian media reported last week the Bombers had fielded a three-year deal to lure the small forward to Tullamarine. The Bombers need another small forward, and Ballantyne could add some spice up forward.

GWS – James Stewart, Will Hoskin-Elliot, Jack Steele and Caleb Marchbank are all out-of-contract for the Giants, and the Bombers should raid some of their fringe talent.

Aaron Black – The forward is all but set to leave North Melbourne, and at 25 years of age, could be a good addition to the Bombers’ forward line. His best output to date was 33 goals from 18 games in 2014.

Surprise move of the off-season?

Essendon to strongly pursue Sydney’s Sam Reid.

Reid can play as forward, back or as a back-up ruckman, and would provide the Bombers with incredible flexibility should he get fit and back to his best.

*This article was originally posted on The Roar by Tiarne Swersky*

Last edited:

Excellent write up.

I haven't watched the game yet, but apparently Kommer played his role well.
Surely, Ashby and Edwards are done. Probably Dempsey too.

Definitely want to keep Laverde, and I reckon Gleeson deserves to continue with us.

Lol Mitch Brown is not a top up and the club even extended his initial contract months ago IIRC
W
Excellent write up.

I haven't watched the game yet, but apparently Kommer played his role well.
Surely, Ashby and Edwards are done. Probably Dempsey too.

Definitely want to keep Laverde, and I reckon Gleeson deserves to continue with us.

Thank you for your feedback. Mitch Brown change has been made - my bad on that one!

Thanks. Change has been made
it's ok - many from outside still think Hartley and Brown are tops ups. They were late draft picks and probably some insurance for what happened in Jan re. CAS. They both turned out to be pretty good picks from Keane and Dodoro.

Garbage post. Do your research.

Will CRY if we get Dal.

Research was definitely done. Here it is for you:

Dal Santo's last seven games this year (possessions): 25, 31, 23, 29, 26, 29, 28 - not bad for a 32 year old with 320 odd games experience.

The Bombers are about to lose Michael Hibberd off half-back, while Dempsey will likely be moved on. Dal Santo is a better kick than your small-mid defenders in Baguley, Gleeson, Dea, Brown, Ashby or Tippa and would be a solid contributor along side an ageing Goddard in the back half.

He won't chew up any midfield time for the youngsters either.

Research was definitely done. Here it is for you:

Dal Santo's last seven games this year (possessions): 25, 31, 23, 29, 26, 29, 28 - not bad for a 32 year old with 320 odd games experience.

The Bombers are about to lose Michael Hibberd off half-back, while Dempsey will likely be moved on. Dal Santo is a better kick than your small-mid defenders in Baguley, Gleeson, Dea, Brown, Ashby or Tippa.

Happily have dea over dal santo. Got much longer left in him. Can actually defend and kicks well.

Unsure im a fan of opposition supporters creating threads on other clubs boards.

I'm an aspiring sports writer, in my last semester of a sports journo course and am doing offseason articles for every club. Take it as you will - but I don't think I suggested or wrote anything that isn't on the table for the Bombers in October

I'm an aspiring sports writer, in my last semester of a sports journo course and am doing offseason articles for every club. Take it as you will - but I don't think I suggested or wrote anything that isn't on the table for the Bombers in October

Doesn't matter if you're mike sheean. Not a fan of it. Can post this and all of your others on the AFL board. Much better option.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seriously guys, who cares if the OP supports another team? As long as their being respectful does it really matter?

I think it's childish saying no opposition supporters can post on here.

Thanks for the write up, TiarneSwersky

There's definitely a lot of 'what if's' in the upcoming draft and trade period. Interesting points made on Dal Santo; whilst I don't think we should get him, he was a Bomber supporter growing up and he'd probably be open to the idea himself.

Good luck in your last semester.

I think we also need to try and draft/trade for some genuine pace, either that or turn over some of the guys with average disposals and get better kicks as ball movement is the best kind of speed to have.

I don't think that means Dal Santo though, I think he's too old to seriously consider unless you're contending in 2017. Whilst I think we'll be vastly improved in 2017, having so many players come off a 12 month break will mean it's a season to rebuild the foundation of the playing list and get them all buying in to a new game plan.

Unsure im a fan of opposition supporters creating threads on other clubs boards.

If it's not a troll thread what does it matter who creates it?

Personally, you won't find many on here agreeing with you RE: Dal Santo, yeah there is probably no ready-mate HBF better than Dal-Santo on our list, but I'd rather play a kid in this role, even if he is out of position, rather than give games to someone who is not going to be part of our future success.

Other than that, decent article.

If it's not a troll thread what does it matter who creates it?

Personally, you won't find many on here agreeing with you RE: Dal Santo, yeah there is probably no ready-mate HBF better than Dal-Santo on our list, but I'd rather play a kid in this role, even if he is out of position, rather than give games to someone who is not going to be part of our future success.

Other than that, decent article.

Fair enough! Just a suggestion. Perhaps he would be better suited to a top four team.

Back