Recruiting The Offseason: Essendon

What should Essendon prioritise this off-season?

• Jaeger O'Meara

Votes: 24 36.4%
  • Adding another key forward

Votes: 29 43.9%
  • Resigning Jobe Watson

Votes: 5 7.6%
  • Fielding offers for Pick 1

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • The Michael Hibberd trade

Votes: 5 7.6%

• Total voters
Or she could grossly overrate the quality of our list. Bound to get tons of likes.
Might even be a career in list management with us if she goes down that path

Dal Santo couldn't kick over a Camry, his career is done. He's also not a better kick than Gleeson, and especially not Tippa, who I rate as one of the top 5 kicks in the comp.

I do definitely appreciate your effort though, I'd sound much worse than you do, if I tried to do a club analysis of any club apart from Essendon. Many on here would even argue I even sound bad when I do Essendon analysis ;)
#mathieson
If the club could get Gleeson to kick as well as Dal Santo that would be fantastic. It's been one of Dal Santo's stand out attributes over a long career.

Last edited:

bombreys

Club Legend
May 8, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Dal Santo couldn't kick over a Camry, his career is done. He's also not a better kick than Gleeson, and especially not Tippa, who I rate as one of the top 5 kicks in the comp.

I do definitely appreciate your effort though, I'd sound much worse than you do, if I tried to do a club analysis of any club apart from Essendon. Many on here would even argue I even sound bad when I do Essendon analysis ;)
#mathieson

No interest in Dal at this point, but he's a far, far better kick than Gleeson.

Ozzie93

All Australian
Feb 3, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Hopefully that media report of Ballantyne to Essendon for 3 years is not true and I doubt we need someone like NDS at 32 years of age, he is essentially cooked as AFL player IMO. Other than that, nice little read.

MNC Bomber

Senior List
Aug 13, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
Not sure what thread to ask this question.
Are there going to be changes to coaching staff this year?
Does anyone think that any of our assistant coaches jobs are at risk and whoi would we look at to replace them if so?

darrenbewick#8

Team Captain
Jul 31, 2013
on top
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern Munich, FC Barcelona
Lol
Hopefully that media report of Ballantyne to Essendon for 3 years is not true and I doubt we need someone like NDS at 32 years of age, he is essentially cooked as AFL player IMO. Other than that, nice little read.

Schopp

Team Captain
Oct 1, 2004
Perth
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Les Bleus
Thanks Tiarne,

I enjoyed the read, the structure and style made it easy for me to understand what you were saying. All the best for the future.

Apr 26, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Aston Villa
Good OP. Brown is a top up (even if not one of THE top ups).

Re other posts, another ruckman isn't important though another project ruckman is an ok idea (Gach may not EVER cut the grade). If, hoping not, one of Berger or TBC are injured, we should only play 1 ruckman anyway. If both are fit, TBC provides a good deep forward target in combination with Daniher who will play higher but I believe Essendon will go after Marchbank hard which will mean Hooker plays forward. The current game doesn't really need a "full forward" per se anyway.

Ruckmen are overrated and Hawthorn over 35 years is great evidence of that. Salmon has been their best ruckman in that period and it was during one of Hawthorn's biggest premiership droughts since before '61 (off top of my head).

I think if in real need, we trade a ruckman in during a premiership window. Until then, I'm happy with McKernan playing VFL predominantly and AFL sporadically i.e. when needed. I don't call that list clogging, I call that cheap backup.

Apr 26, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Aston Villa
Fair enough! Just a suggestion. Perhaps he would be better suited to a top four team.
Yeah agree with that. One would think we're 2-3 years away AT LEAST from challenging for the top 4. In that time Goddard, Watson (hoping), Kelly, Stanton et al will be replaced. Dal Santo would simply need to be replaced. Not to say I don't value experience but there is already enough experience coming back into the line up and I just don't think Dal Santo is what we need. Potentially fast track the list by bringing in someone about to hit their straps, an inside mid. Who that is I don't know.

Not sure what thread to ask this question.
Are there going to be changes to coaching staff this year?
Does anyone think that any of our assistant coaches jobs are at risk and whoi would we look at to replace them if so?
Inevitibly there will be. I think Harvs and Skippy could be in trouble. Not sure on replacements, I'd have Sando as a forward coach.

Back